Sojourner Posted September 6, 2005 Posted September 6, 2005 When I was thinking seriously about going to grad school, I had a dream that I was back in school, and that I was the class clown. I was sitting in the back of the classroom cracking jokes the whole time. I've decided that this dream would probably play itself out if I did indeed go back to school. I've become such a smart-aleck in my old age. I used to be so much more serious. I think as I've gotten older I've learned how to laugh at myself a lot more, which in turn helps me to see the humour in life. But, that's not necessarily a good thing in a serious academic setting.
philothea Posted September 6, 2005 Posted September 6, 2005 Would you be paying for grad school yourself? Footing the bill tends to make students focus.
zabbazooey Posted September 6, 2005 Posted September 6, 2005 Very true! I know once I start paying for school next year, I will focus a lot more!
Carrie Posted September 6, 2005 Posted September 6, 2005 When I was in school, we had a few clowns in the program. Honestly, it was refreshing to sometimes have that small break for humor when things seemed too serious. And from what I remember, all of those clowns graduated with honors.
Jaime Posted September 6, 2005 Posted September 6, 2005 I was a moron in undergrad. Well not a moron but I was.... distracted easily. When I went to grad school, I had a totally different perspective on school. I was literally ravenous for studying. I got so much out of grad school because of it. Being able to focus on one subject (that I had never studied before) was awesome!! I would go back in a minute. And I am about as big a smart a** as you can find. If you are considering it, I would suggest trying it out for a semester. Grad school rocks like chocolate and milk!!
zabbazooey Posted September 6, 2005 Posted September 6, 2005 (edited) I hate it when people ask questions to show off. Edited September 6, 2005 by zabbazooey
Sojourner Posted September 6, 2005 Author Posted September 6, 2005 [quote name='philothea' date='Sep 6 2005, 02:20 PM']Would you be paying for grad school yourself? Footing the bill tends to make students focus. [right][snapback]713332[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Yeah, I probably would be. Which probably would help me to focus. Very good thought.
Sojourner Posted September 6, 2005 Author Posted September 6, 2005 [quote name='hot stuff' date='Sep 6 2005, 02:27 PM']I was a moron in undergrad. Well not a moron but I was.... distracted easily. When I went to grad school, I had a totally different perspective on school. I was literally ravenous for studying. I got so much out of grad school because of it. Being able to focus on one subject (that I had never studied before) was awesome!! I would go back in a minute. And I am about as big a smart a** as you can find. If you are considering it, I would suggest trying it out for a semester. Grad school rocks like chocolate and milk!! [right][snapback]713341[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I probably really would love it. Now, if I can just get the right program and money together, I'll be set.
Carrie Posted September 6, 2005 Posted September 6, 2005 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Sep 6 2005, 04:33 PM']I probably really would love it. Now, if I can just get the right program and money together, I'll be set. [right][snapback]713351[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Those are the hard parts. Money was a big issue for me when it came to grad school. I got some money in scholarships but had to foot the rest of the bill on my own. While it was a struggle, it was worth every penny! If you find a program that's right for you, I say go for it!
Sojourner Posted September 6, 2005 Author Posted September 6, 2005 [quote name='Carrie' date='Sep 6 2005, 02:36 PM']Those are the hard parts. Money was a big issue for me when it came to grad school. I got some money in scholarships but had to foot the rest of the bill on my own. While it was a struggle, it was worth every penny! If you find a program that's right for you, I say go for it! [right][snapback]713358[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Yeah, the right program is hard to find. As a reporter, I run across so many interesting fields that I'd love to study in more depth, but then I re-evaluate and decide against it. I LOVED the JPII program, but unless I got some sort of full-ride deal that won't be a reality for a long time in the future. What I'm considering most seriously right now is law school. I'm just trying to decide if I really want to be a practicing attorney someday.
Jaime Posted September 6, 2005 Posted September 6, 2005 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Sep 6 2005, 02:33 PM']I probably really would love it. Now, if I can just get the right program and money together, I'll be set. [right][snapback]713351[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Don't worry about the money. Seriously!! I lived in squalor for years. It was totally worth it. If its something that you're supposed to do, the money and the means come. Trust me on this one!!
Carrie Posted September 6, 2005 Posted September 6, 2005 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Sep 6 2005, 04:41 PM']Yeah, the right program is hard to find. As a reporter, I run across so many interesting fields that I'd love to study in more depth, but then I re-evaluate and decide against it. I LOVED the JPII program, but unless I got some sort of full-ride deal that won't be a reality for a long time in the future. What I'm considering most seriously right now is law school. I'm just trying to decide if I really want to be a practicing attorney someday. [right][snapback]713365[/snapback][/right] [/quote] If you don't want to be a practicing attorney, you could always teach law.
Sojourner Posted September 6, 2005 Author Posted September 6, 2005 [quote name='Carrie' date='Sep 6 2005, 02:43 PM']If you don't want to be a practicing attorney, you could always teach law. [right][snapback]713370[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Yeah, I've thought quite a bit about that, actually. I met this really awesome law professor from the University of Oklahoma who's a Catholic trying to get TOTB ideas across to lawyers. Fantastic guy. I briefly considered moving to OK just to study with him. Then I thought better of it.
Carrie Posted September 6, 2005 Posted September 6, 2005 A thought on saving some money. Some schools charge more (sometimes a few thousand dollars a semester!!) if you're an out-of-state student. If you find a program you like, you could move 6 months prior to starting so that you have in-state residence. That might save you a few pennies.
Carrie Posted September 6, 2005 Posted September 6, 2005 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Sep 6 2005, 04:46 PM']Yeah, I've thought quite a bit about that, actually. I met this really awesome law professor from the University of Oklahoma who's a Catholic trying to get TOTB ideas across to lawyers. Fantastic guy. I briefly considered moving to OK just to study with him. Then I thought better of it. [right][snapback]713373[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Why'd you decide against it?
Sojourner Posted September 6, 2005 Author Posted September 6, 2005 [quote name='hot stuff' date='Sep 6 2005, 02:42 PM']Don't worry about the money. Seriously!! I lived in squalor for years. It was totally worth it. If its something that you're supposed to do, the money and the means come. Trust me on this one!! [right][snapback]713368[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I'm know you're right. The money didn't work out for the program I wanted to do, which I took as a pretty clear sign that I shouldn't go there. I still have moments of heartsickness about it, though. I don't mind the squalor ... reporters don't make much money, so I'm not used to living in palatial comfort. Although I've had some really great places. But, I really don't want to have to work full-time while I'm going to school, if I can at all help it. I want to really be able to focus on what I'm doing ... and I'm not the spring chicken I once was.
Sojourner Posted September 6, 2005 Author Posted September 6, 2005 [quote name='Carrie' date='Sep 6 2005, 02:49 PM']Why'd you decide against it? [right][snapback]713376[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I don't want to live in OK. Out-of-state tuition is high, and we've got good law schools in Indiana. I've got great connections in the legal community and law school here in Indianapolis.
Jaime Posted September 6, 2005 Posted September 6, 2005 [quote]and I'm not the spring chicken I once was[/quote] Oh fer cryin out loud. that's when you're SUPPOSED to start grad school. spring chicken... sheesh
Sojourner Posted September 6, 2005 Author Posted September 6, 2005 [quote name='hot stuff' date='Sep 6 2005, 02:58 PM']Oh fer cryin out loud. that's when you're SUPPOSED to start grad school. spring chicken... sheesh [right][snapback]713398[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I'm just saying I don't think I have it in me to study full time and work full time. I'd get burnt out really quickly. When I was younger, I thought I was invincible and did all that stay-up-all-night-to-get-stuff-done carp. I know I can't do that now.
Jaime Posted September 6, 2005 Posted September 6, 2005 Well I'll say this. You won't have the energy to work full time, go to school full time AND whine about it! : Seriously, I went to school full time and worked in ministry full time. But the key was that I loved school and I loved ministry so the energy thing wasn't a big deal. If it smells of elderberries, you can always quit. There is no dishonor in that!!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now