Theoketos Posted September 7, 2005 Posted September 7, 2005 When ever I bring up the need for latin in the Liturgy I get growled at. But I am louder than a growl luckly. If the Mass were still in Latin, my parish would be much less divided.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted September 7, 2005 Posted September 7, 2005 [quote name='Theoketos' date='Sep 7 2005, 12:16 PM']When ever I bring up the need for latin in the Liturgy I get growled at. But I am louder than a growl luckly. If the Mass were still in Latin, my parish would be much less divided. [right][snapback]714391[/snapback][/right] [/quote] A return to the intentions of the Council with regard to Latin in the liturgy must begin with renewed interest in the mystical, comtemplative, legendary history of the Church. I believe this is best achieved by teaching the school of martyrs...teach the faithful about our heritage and you give them 2000 years of reasons to die for the Church and Her Traditions. ...and of course, all matters in the Church have the Eucharist at the center...
Pio Nono Posted September 7, 2005 Posted September 7, 2005 JMJ 9/7 - Twenty-third Wednesday I'd say non-Italian Catholics know more Italian than they do Latin.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted September 7, 2005 Posted September 7, 2005 [quote name='Pio Nono' date='Sep 7 2005, 12:22 PM']JMJ 9/7 - Twenty-third Wednesday I'd say non-Italian Catholics know more Italian than they do Latin. [right][snapback]714398[/snapback][/right] [/quote] So Italian Catholics don't know more Italian than Latin? : *continues reading between the lines*
theculturewarrior Posted September 7, 2005 Posted September 7, 2005 [quote name='Raphael' date='Sep 7 2005, 10:04 AM']I would have to disagree. I know how the language operates, I can read many, many things, but I still need my dictionary because I don't know all the words. Additionally, because we are not in the social context of the language, it is much harder to understand little otherwise unnoticed colloquialisms. Had I spent my 5.5 years of Latin so far in Spanish, I'd be fluent by now. However, I am not fluent in Latin, because it is so far removed from the world. [right][snapback]714307[/snapback][/right] [/quote] If you have enough of a command of the language to use a Latin dictionary, you know the language! :
Didacus Posted September 7, 2005 Posted September 7, 2005 I barely know anything of latin. But since I've been phatmassing... I'm working on it! Still looking to buy a good cd to learn the proper pronounciation. As for the mechanics and vocabolary, I try to learn new words every week, and practise them with my family. I want my three children to know it enough to be able to converse in latin (then they will know french, latin and english... nothing like a tri-lingual family to confuse everyone at family gatherings!
homeschoolmom Posted September 7, 2005 Posted September 7, 2005 Being conversant in Latin's about as useful as juggling...
little_angel202 Posted September 7, 2005 Posted September 7, 2005 i got taught latin when i was at school in france, i didnt yet very far ! but i know my church latin
Thy Geekdom Come Posted September 7, 2005 Posted September 7, 2005 [quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Sep 7 2005, 12:58 PM']If you have enough of a command of the language to use a Latin dictionary, you know the language! : [right][snapback]714427[/snapback][/right] [/quote]
son_of_angels Posted September 7, 2005 Posted September 7, 2005 Latinae linguae in collegio (et Graecae Linguae) studeo. Haud autem multum Latinum scio. Ego in curso tertio Latino sum.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted September 7, 2005 Posted September 7, 2005 [quote name='son_of_angels' date='Sep 7 2005, 04:53 PM']Latinae linguae in collegio (et Graecae Linguae) studeo. Haud autem multum Latinum scio. Ego in curso tertio Latino sum. [right][snapback]714627[/snapback][/right] [/quote] *must resist...urge...to...correct...*
Thy Geekdom Come Posted September 7, 2005 Posted September 7, 2005 [quote name='son_of_angels' date='Sep 7 2005, 06:15 PM']please do, Raphael. [right][snapback]714703[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Very well. I understand that you meant to say what translates to: I [have] studied the Latin language (and the Greek language) in college. Indeed, I don't know much Latin at all. I am in the third course of Latin. [quote]Latinae linguae in collegio (et Graecae Linguae) studeo. Haud autem multum Latinum scio. Ego in curso tertio Latino sum.[/quote] I would personally choose this wording: Latine (et Graece) in collegio studui. Autem parum Latinae scio. Ego sum in classe tertia. It's more concise and less bulky, wordwise. It says: I [have] studied Latin (and Greek) in college. However, I know very little Latin. I am in [my] third class. The [brackets] indicate words that are implied in the Latin. With the words for Latin and Greek, when referring to the languages, it is more common to use the adverbial form to modify a verb...so "I study Latin" is more accurately translated "I study Latinly"...but it works in the Latin, even if it's not pretty in English.
son_of_angels Posted September 7, 2005 Posted September 7, 2005 Actually I was trying to use the present indicative tense. The use of "lingua" is, indeed, bulky, but of common usage in the beginning Latin that I have taken. I am already the field but not yet cultivated. Autem, I have been taught, may also equal the idea "but" so your translation is a little off, but perhaps my Latin is farther. Nonetheless, I think that for Catholics of all stripes, whether they go to Latin Mass or no, had ought to understand at least all the parts of the Mass when they are spoken in Latin. Moreover, a well educated Catholic (one capable of teaching and speaking on Catholic disputes and doctrine) had ought also to be rudimently capable of understanding and communicating in Latin, as well as being aware of the Neo-Latin used in contemporary Catholic texts (like the Vatican II documents).
Cam42 Posted September 7, 2005 Posted September 7, 2005 [quote name='MC Just' date='Sep 7 2005, 11:43 AM']ill be surprsied if anyone knows any. English has become everyones language. lol [right][snapback]714352[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Studeo Latine tecum locui, si molo tibi est otium et si vis fiat. Intellegisne, quod dico? Latine discere variis ex causis operae pretium est. Latine te loqui opertet, quotienscumque occasio data erit.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted September 7, 2005 Posted September 7, 2005 [quote name='son_of_angels' date='Sep 7 2005, 06:44 PM']Actually I was trying to use the present indicative tense. The use of "lingua" is, indeed, bulky, but of common usage in the beginning Latin that I have taken. I am already the field but not yet cultivated. Autem, I have been taught, may also equal the idea "but" so your translation is a little off, but perhaps my Latin is farther. [right][snapback]714725[/snapback][/right] [/quote] According to the Harper Collins Concise, [i][b]autem[/b][/i] means "but, on the other hand," etc. "On the other hand" is the same as "however." Don't be too quick to judge one person's translation as "off"...there are many scholars who disagree over the silliest things. I've studied Caesar, Ovid, Catullus, Horace, Plautus, Terence, and a bit of Cicero and I have yet to find that any one of them is agreed upon universally by the scholars.
Fides_et_Ratio Posted September 7, 2005 Posted September 7, 2005 I know a very minimal amount of Latin... But I can translate the old missal, and the inscriptions in all the churches in Rome!
Cam42 Posted September 8, 2005 Posted September 8, 2005 [quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' date='Sep 7 2005, 07:50 PM']I know a very minimal amount of Latin... But I can translate the old missal, and the inscriptions in all the churches in Rome! [right][snapback]714775[/snapback][/right] [/quote] How about the new Missal? Can you translate that one?
the_rev Posted September 8, 2005 Posted September 8, 2005 I'm enrolling in a latin class. Otherwise most catholics should no, Veni Creator spiritus, tatum Ergo, O Salutarious, Ave Maria, Salve Regina, Latin hymns!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now