Fides_et_Ratio Posted September 8, 2005 Posted September 8, 2005 I'm trying to take this in a positive way, but I can't help feeling a little offended... A guy in one of my classes today invited me to a charismatic prayer meeting (along with a few other people trying to talk me into it), and I agreed to go (if only for the sake of possibly making some nice Catholic friends). But then the guy says to me, "No reason for any aversion... it's what we'll be doing in Heaven. And hey, it could be a good [b][u]lesson in humility[/u][/b] for you."
Thy Geekdom Come Posted September 8, 2005 Posted September 8, 2005 A friend of mine has implied several similar things to me recently. He's been implying that holiness and saintliness is really the stuff of the saints...normal people like us can't relate. We shouldn't compare ourselves. I'm thinking, "maybe you can't, but I've been reading St. Faustina's Diary and I definitely understand where she's coming from..." People who think they're right about a controversial topic generally have rude ways of putting it. The best thing to do is keep in mind that humility is, at its core, knowing the truth...and if you are confirmed in your opinions because of what you experience, and if that is closer to the truth, then you can still say you were humbled.
Fides_et_Ratio Posted September 8, 2005 Author Posted September 8, 2005 Except after he said that I was thinking, "I'll show you a 'lesson in humility'!" I'm really not wanting to go, especially after class today... but I told a priest-friend of mine that I would try it out (even though he promised I wouldn't like the charismatic stuff), and so I think I'm going to smell of elderberries it up for just tonight anyway.... and then come back and e-mail him a giantic e-mail about how everytime I go to one of these "charismatic" things it REALLY makes me want to: a) change rites b) convert to Greek Orthodox or, c) become a staunch traditionalist (i.e., attend nothing less than the Tridentine Mass)
Thy Geekdom Come Posted September 8, 2005 Posted September 8, 2005 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Sep 8 2005, 07:40 PM']I feel your pain. [right][snapback]716262[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I haven't gotten the holier-than-thou reaction from a charismatic yet...need I be on the lookout?
Fides_et_Ratio Posted September 8, 2005 Author Posted September 8, 2005 [quote name='Raphael' date='Sep 8 2005, 07:45 PM'] I haven't gotten the holier-than-thou reaction from a charismatic yet...need I be on the lookout? [right][snapback]716272[/snapback][/right] [/quote] wait until around FOP time... I was once told (by a pre-the) that I didn't have a relationship with the Holy Spirit because I wasn't charismatic...
Thy Geekdom Come Posted September 8, 2005 Posted September 8, 2005 [quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' date='Sep 8 2005, 07:45 PM'] Except after he said that I was thinking, "I'll show you a 'lesson in humility'!" I'm really not wanting to go, especially after class today... but I told a priest-friend of mine that I would try it out (even though he promised I wouldn't like the charismatic stuff), and so I think I'm going to smell of elderberries it up for just tonight anyway.... and then come back and e-mail him a giantic e-mail about how everytime I go to one of these "charismatic" things it REALLY makes me want to: a) change rites b) convert to Greek Orthodox or, c) become a staunch traditionalist (i.e., attend nothing less than the Tridentine Mass) [right][snapback]716271[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Of course, we don't swerve back onto the road or we end up going off the other side. Although changing rites I wouldn't be opposed to...I must honestly say I've slightly considered it...I want to attend a Divine Liturgy one of these days... ...of course, life decisions should not always be made on one's own...
Thy Geekdom Come Posted September 8, 2005 Posted September 8, 2005 [quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' date='Sep 8 2005, 07:47 PM']wait until around FOP time... I was once told (by a pre-the) that I didn't have a relationship with the Holy Spirit because I wasn't charismatic... [right][snapback]716273[/snapback][/right] [/quote] We've already had a FOP...I told at least three people that I wasn't charismatic...they didn't mind. Funny, I don't recall any charismatic saints, even those who are very closely associated with the Holy Spirit...
Era Might Posted September 8, 2005 Posted September 8, 2005 (edited) "We're all called to be great Saints." --Angelica of Birmingham Edited September 8, 2005 by Era Might
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus Posted September 9, 2005 Posted September 9, 2005 yuck charasmatic... i wouldn't go if i were you. you don't have to worship like a protestant. sorry if this offends anyone but this is how i feel about charasmatic catholcism.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted September 9, 2005 Posted September 9, 2005 [quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Sep 8 2005, 09:38 PM']yuck charasmatic... i wouldn't go if i were you. you don't have to worship like a protestant. sorry if this offends anyone but this is how i feel about charasmatic catholcism. [right][snapback]716384[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I'm not fond of the Charismatic movement, but I wouldn't go that far.
cmotherofpirl Posted September 9, 2005 Posted September 9, 2005 [quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Sep 8 2005, 09:38 PM']yuck charasmatic... i wouldn't go if i were you. you don't have to worship like a protestant. sorry if this offends anyone but this is how i feel about charasmatic catholcism. [right][snapback]716384[/snapback][/right] [/quote] it does. as long as its not at Mass, there is nothing wrong with singing enthusiastically and praising the Lord. Its not everyones taste, and that is ok. Not everyone is into gregorian chant either
Fides_et_Ratio Posted September 9, 2005 Author Posted September 9, 2005 I'm "okay" (very loosely) with it as long as it isn't during the Liturgy. ... I ended up going... it was, um, okay. Not as intense as Steubenville, so that was a perk (though they were all disappointed when I said that... haha)... I think I may have some more visitors with me when I go to visit my old FUS friends. It was a little odd though... everyone was giving me these huge hugs and being all nice-- when, except for about 2 of them, they all usually ignore me in class.
Philippe Posted September 9, 2005 Posted September 9, 2005 [quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Sep 8 2005, 06:38 PM']yuck charasmatic... i wouldn't go if i were you. you don't have to worship like a protestant. sorry if this offends anyone but this is how i feel about charasmatic catholcism. [right][snapback]716384[/snapback][/right] [/quote] whats wrong with praising the Lord in the same way some Protestants do, as long as its outside of liturgy whats wrong with it? They might be doingsome things well, this being one of them. Personally, i dont really have a preference, i'll go to a tridentine Mass or a lifeteen Mass or a Catholic Family Conference or a Steubenville Conference. Its all about praising God in our way that is in communion with the Church.
prose Posted September 9, 2005 Posted September 9, 2005 [quote]I was once told (by a pre-the) that I didn't have a relationship with the Holy Spirit because I wasn't charismatic..[/quote] Yup, same experience. I was told I just wasn't being "open to the Lord" because I wasn't "resting in the Spirit" or the BIG one "speaking tongues". EVERYONE at the place I went was "speaking in tongues" except me. Strange. Especially b/c God promised if he sent someone the gift of tongues he would send another the gift of translation... Whatever. I guess if that's what they need to "prove" they are close to God, go nuts, but don't put me down in the process. Not to mention I think it deters from the people ACTUALLY experiencing gifts when EVERYONE has them...
Jaime Posted September 9, 2005 Posted September 9, 2005 I went to a charismatic healing service where the priest went around after mass and touched everyone on the forehead. People would then drop from being full of the Holy Spirit. While I was open to anything that God wanted, when he touched me, nothing happened. I figured I was either incapable of being filled with the Holy Spirit or I was all full up. I'm not sure which is true.
phatcatholic Posted September 9, 2005 Posted September 9, 2005 see, threads like this make me leary about going to FUS.........should i be?
FlyLikeABird Posted September 9, 2005 Posted September 9, 2005 [quote name='prose' date='Sep 8 2005, 10:30 PM']Yup, same experience. I was told I just wasn't being "open to the Lord" because I wasn't "resting in the Spirit" or the BIG one "speaking tongues". EVERYONE at the place I went was "speaking in tongues" except me. Strange. Especially b/c God promised if he sent someone the gift of tongues he would send another the gift of translation... Whatever. I guess if that's what they need to "prove" they are close to God, go nuts, but don't put me down in the process. Not to mention I think it deters from the people ACTUALLY experiencing gifts when EVERYONE has them... [right][snapback]716644[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I genuinly think I have a certain gift of tongues. But I speak languages that people understand. : I have never been "slain" nor have I ever experienced "speaking in tongues" as the charismatics see it. I do know a few people who are very in tune with the promptings of the Holy Spirit, and one of them HATES (and I mean HATES) the charismatic movement. She tries to be understanding and loving and all but she cannot bring herself to be anywhere near one of their services unless she is acting as a sign language interpreter (her main profession). Being Charismatic is NOT the be all and end all of Catholic experience, and if you ask me I think the Charismatics are bordering on Pharisical tendencies.
jiyoung Posted September 9, 2005 Posted September 9, 2005 i think the charismatic movement is not necessarily all bad...but i really disagree with the catholics who think it's the ultimate form of catholicism. there's a time and place for it, but it's not really my favorite thing. i "speak in tongues" and whatever, but i feel sometimes that engaging in that puts me at risk to commit sins of pride. so i don't like to practice it. and i admit i've had some genuine things happen to me, but i don't think it's like the ultimate end of it all...i don't know how i'll like the FOPs at steubie. singing kind of puts me in a possible occasion to sin because i guess i have a good voice and i sometimes sing for myself, not for God...and so i try not to sing out. but...i don't know. i'm traveling in circles. suffice to say that i'm more fond of traditional contemplative masses, but i can deal with the charismatic stuff.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now