An Old School Catholic Message Board

Proof that there is no God

Semalsia

Thy Geekdom Come

Actually, it is a dogmatic teaching of the Catholic Church that the existence of God can be known from the created world by the light of human reason. This was defined in the document [i]Dei Filius[/i] from the Vatican I Council.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Sep 10 2005, 04:59 PM']Um, so is that a no?
[right][snapback]718376[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well, you're kinda asking two questions. The answer to the first is no. Nothing could convince me that there is no God. I believe it with all my being.

The answer to the second is also no. Not everything is explainable...but everying has an explanation...we just can't comprehend it all.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Sep 10 2005, 05:21 PM']Even those things that contradict the catholic dogma?
[right][snapback]718400[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
There is no such thing.

To state that there is no absolute truth would in fact be making a statement of absolute truth in itself, therefore I believe in absolute truths.

If there is a such thing as absolute truth that means conclusively some things will be truth and others error. Therefore it is possible that the existance of God could be a truth to which there is no way to adequately show that there is no God.

I happen to accept the fact that all evidence shows the absolute truth that there is a God, and therefore it is impossible to prove that there is no God.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Sep 10 2005, 05:51 PM']To state that there is no absolute truth would in fact be making a statement of absolute truth in itself, therefore I believe in absolute truths.

If there is a such thing as absolute truth that means conclusively some things will be truth and others error. Therefore it is possible that the existance of God could be a truth to which there is no way to adequately show that there is no God.

I happen to accept the fact that all evidence shows the absolute truth that there is a God, and therefore it is impossible to prove that there is no God.
[right][snapback]718442[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

true, that - dawg :smokey:

what he said :P:

seriously tho, its impossible for anything to contradict dogma. that's why its dogma in the first place. God's divine mystery, revealed to us, that's dogma! :D:

Guest JeffCR07

Semalsia,

You may be interested in my perspective on the discussion, since it does not concern the issue of a cause for creation:

Because I accept as valid the ontological argument as formulated by St. Anselm of Canterbury, it follows for me, and for those like myself, that God cannot even be conceived of as non-existing.

As such, God cannot be "proven not to exist" precisely because any being which is capable of being shown to be non-existent is, by definition, not God.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Sep 10 2005, 04:51 PM']I happen to accept the fact that all evidence shows the absolute truth that there is a God, and therefore it is impossible to prove that there is no God.
[right][snapback]718442[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Ditto.