An Old School Catholic Message Board

Genesis

Laudate_Dominum

Laudate_Dominum

Haha! I just found my very first post ever!! I thought it would make an interesting conversation starter. Genesis has been coming up on threads lately, let's talk about it! :D:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jan 6 2004, 05:15 AM']It would seem that with Adam and Eve's state of original justice, the preternatural gifts, etc. and the fact that they were in a paradise and saw God face to face increases the gravity of their sin beyond what we are capable of because we are blind and fallen.
My opinion on the literal vs. symbolic thing is basically that I think the Genesis account was not intended to be a historical narrative like we have today but is a theological story, which expresses truth in a way that includes historical realities but describes them in a way that gets at the higher meaning of what took place. In other words I believe that Adam and Eve really existed, our first parents, I don't think it's important whether they were actually named Adam and Eve and all the details that people usually argue about.
The creation accounts are written in an ancient literary form and are inspired by the Holy Spirit so to approach the texts as you would a historical narrative of today is, I think, a mistake. But I do think the content is true, I'm not saying it's just a symbolic story. It is simultaneously an expression of real historical and metaphysical realities. It is meant to be read in prayer, I believe, to attain mystical insight and wisdom, not modern scientific knowledge of the world’s creation. The most meaningful concepts are rooted in the convergence of different modes of expression (literal, symbolic, metaphorical) and discourse (narrative, prophecy, proverbs, hymns). It is in this convergence that mind is able to ascend beyond finite categories of limited substances and intuit a relationality, which constitutes Being at an essential level (the height of this is the interior vision of the Trinity which some mystics have received, or so I hold). So I believe that when God speaks through the various writings in the Bible, the texts always have dimensions which go beyond our categories of textual analysis and in this way the Scriptures are inexhaustible. But to have access to the deeper dimensions of Scripture one must be illuminated by the Holy Spirit.
To get back to Genesis, I believe that the realities of creation and the fall ultimately have elements that we cannot understand, and having a scientific description of material events would still not be understanding. So to understand (in a sense) the mystery of creation and the fall one must enter into the text, spiritually, and assimilate the symbolic content in such a way that it becomes a part of the texture of one's inner-mind, when this is done the story can be more fruitfully objectified and analyzed cognitively, though still in a limited manner.
I hope this made some sense.
[right][snapback]87965[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Laudate_Dominum

Here is my second post of all time! This is fun. :)

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jan 7 2004, 06:16 AM']It is true that many protestant and Catholic biblical scholars consider many things in Scripture to be "didactic stories" or whatever, it seems rather dubious to me because how do you know which stories are true and which one's are, to put it in colloquial terms, fables? It seems like this mentality stems from philosophical positivism, skepticism and weak faith. Most of these scholars (that I know of) reject extraordinary events in the Scripture based primarly on an anti-supernatural bias (in my opinion). As a Catholic this is silly since the whole history of the Church and the lives of the Saints up to our own day are filled with extraordinary events and miracles. If St. Padre Pio could rock miracles why couldn't Moses or St. Paul?
John Paul II has canonized hundreds of Saints in his pontifate, for a person to be canonized there must be two miracles that are approved after a critical, scientific investigation that proves that it's supernatural. That's a lot of miracles. Based on this (and many other reasons) I think it is unreasonable to approach Scripture with an anti-supernatural bias. Besides, what's important about Scripture are the truths that lead to eternal Salvation. We should first and foremost approach the Scriptures with reverence and awe, listening for the voice of God, not a cynical attitude that seeks to diminish God's power.
[right][snapback]89166[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Sep 12 2005, 04:51 PM']I dont' think my very first post here exists anymore as I've been here too long lol.
[right][snapback]721007[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I feel lucky then! :lol_roll:

Some of my oldest posts:

Hi. My name is Adam

Everyone: *Hi Adam*

I'm 21 years old and I am a phatmassaholic

Everyone: *clapping*

Moderator: *That's okay Adam, that's what we are here for, to support phatmassaholics. That is why we call it PA: Phatmassaholics Anonymous. You just made your first big step- you admitted you have a problem!

Problem??? What? I don't have a no problem.

I'm a Phatmassaholic and proud of it! B)

Actually, I'm 21, almost married and the local resident crazy Baptist.

Hi! Welcome to the phorum. I'm not a Catholic, but the phatmass crew has welcomed me just the same...some have rumored that they're hoping that i'll become Catholic one day.

Marriage and you thinking I'm going to go to hell for "rejecting the Catholic Church" are two different issues. If my source is incorrect, it will be the first time. Carson Weber has shown to be anything but ignorant of the Catholic faith.

However, if you would like to answer the question at hand, why you think I'm not being married, I suppose you can.

This has to do with what? I don't believe in Catholicism, my stance on that hasn't changed.

lol. this is fun. some wacky quotes from my past.

Non-Catholics have no problem considering Mary blessed. We have a problem considering her utterly sinless. We have problems with the emphesis placed on her in worship (not saying that you worship her), and we have problems with the idea that she never died.

Edited by Brother Adam

"And catholic4ever, Brother Adam is Baptist and a very favored friend here. Ya' gotta be carefull. Don't get too cross ways with him. We're working on the evagalizing with Charity program with him."

Blasted. It worked.

"Get them to love you and they will follow you anywhere" - St. John Bosco

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Sep 12 2005, 06:53 PM']"And catholic4ever, Brother Adam is Baptist and a very favored friend here. Ya' gotta be carefull. Don't get too cross ways with him. We're working on the evagalizing with Charity program with him."

Blasted. It worked.

"Get them to love you and they will follow you anywhere" - St. John Bosco
[right][snapback]721091[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I told you that you were gonna convert. :lol:

Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way.
La la la la...
Those were the days, oh yes those were the days

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Sep 12 2005, 09:55 PM']I told you that you were gonna convert. :lol:
[right][snapback]721258[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I missed that part about there being a program. And I thought I was unique in my rebelling against the system.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Sep 12 2005, 10:54 AM']Here is my second post of all time! This is fun. :)
[right][snapback]720332[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It's interesting to note, if you read Genesis carefully, that there are two creation narratives. What is important is that it happened, man fell from grace and was restored through Christ.