An Old School Catholic Message Board

Voting For Religious Reasons

Joyful

I'm confused. As a 20 year old, I'm still in the process of forming my political thoughts. I've always been very active in politics, but I'm just now rethinking some things.

When it comes to voting I've always been very conscientious about not just voting for or against something based on religious reasons. I always try my best to find a non religious reason for voting on issues such as scientific in the case of abortion.

What do you all think about this? How do you all handle this? What about issues that you only oppose or support on the basis of religion?

Just throwing this out there.

you're to vote your conscience. your religious moral principles should guide your conscience. i don't think you should seperate morals from who you vote for.

Although it's slightly different in the UK to the US, as I've learnt since coming to Phatmass :D , I've always voted for the person whose political party most represents as much of what I understand my Christian faith to be. Of course that does mean that it's open to my interpretation, so while I might find it difficult to understand how a Christian can think the opposite political party is more aligned to Christianity than the political party which I support (of course! :D ), I know that's because political parties are secular and will not therefore contain the whole truth.

I think it's really important that you exercise your right to vote though. In the UK, in the early part of the last century, women died in the fight to have the right to vote, so I don't take that right for granted!

I think there is more to it than that, Al. I'm questioning whether or not I should vote to force religious morals on others. And I'm not sure what my conscience says about that. :)

I'm Catholic and 20 and I'm assuming your're Catholic and this is something I struggle with too come election time b/c most politicians today do not respect the Church's values. I would think your religious morals would somehow connect to all political issues - welfare, abortion, enviroment, war, civil rights, death penalty, etc.

Separate the platforms of each politician that you would potentially vote for and decide which ones you feel the most strongly about and which ones you feel can be compromised for the greater good.

Also consider which loyalties your candidates have because sometimes they will vote in greater favor of their paying constituents when they are elected instead of what they say in their campaign.

Religion isn't always a personal issue with me b/c I don't think many Catholic politicians can be trusted any more than some of the others, so my advice is don't let that always be an issue.

Money and politics is a low down dirty dirty business so always pray before supporting a candidate. Always impose your Christian Faith on others b/c Jesus said so :P I hope this helps.

God Bless :D

Edited by M.SIGGA

I haven't posted in a while, but allow me to comment on this. I have studied political science for a long time now and worked in Congress. I'm now a seminarian. Anyway, the bishops have made it quite clear that in the United States at least, we should vote our conscience and abortion is the trump issue among all the others. So, let's use a concrete example. This means that if Candidate A agrees with you on 99% of all issues yet supports abortion and Candidate B disagrees with you on 99% of all issues yet opposes abortion, you cannot, in good conscience, vote for Candidate A. You wouldn't necessarily have to vote for Candidate B, but favoring abortion is a disqualifier. The bishops have made this quite clear in recent years.

Going further, I'm sure many of you may be objecting. However, modify the above scenario to read instead of favoring abortion, "favors (opposes) allowing parents to kill their children up and until the age of five years." What's the difference between killing a five-year old and a nine-month old?

OK, now the question, "Can I, and should I, impose my religious beliefs on others?" Assuming you have a well-formed conscience, the answer without a doubt is YES! You not only have the right, but the obligation to do so, in my opinion. Now, this does not mean be like some radical Islamic terrorist and go blow up a building, but it does mean that we should support candidates who support Christian values. Every law ever written in history has been the objective imposition of a subjective moral view. Let me give you an example, take the speed limit. It was someone's morality that I should only be able to drive 70 mph on the interstate. Now, I may personally disagree with that. Perhaps I want to drive 80. That makes little difference though, since the speed limit has been set at 70. Someone imposed their morality on me. Furthermore, we currently have many laws in the United States and other countries based on Judeo-Christian values. For example, it is illegal to kill, rape, steal, and commit perjury. All of these things are forbidden by God in the 10 Commandment. Are we therefore going to legalize murder just so we're not imposing Christian values?

Sorry to write so much, but this is a passion of mine.

Thank you for saying "yes" to your vocation! I'll pray for you. We can't have life within us (Jn 6:53) without priests to consecrate the Blessed Eucharist! Merci, gracias, gratia, thank you! I'm truly grateful to you.