Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

Well, I think I've had my share of the "H" word and the "DMMT" word on here...-_-

Posted

I don't think it's appropriate to refer to any private parts. I've seen this on a couple of threads and the posts in question refer to male parts. It just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the wholesome posting on this board.

hyperdulia again
Posted

i agree that there are many words that shouldn't be used on this board or in mixed company (and here i refer nnot so much to genders, but ages). i'm not talking about the permissability of swearing and using non-scientific terms for body parts on phatmass (dUSt gets to decide things like taht), i'm saying that as far as i know, and as best i can understand catholic teaching we get to cuss, drink, dance, and gamble. it is possible to be pure without being a puritan.

Posted

i still say catholics get to cuss and i haven't seennany evidence to the contrary.

And I still say Catholics don't get to cuss. To use dirty words -- or to use substitutes for dirty words when it's really the dirty words that are meant -- is at least a venial sin, which should be confessed. In the Holy Name Society (remember it?) a commitment was made not to use any swear words at all.

Jesus said "I tell you, on the day of judgement, men will utter account for every careless word they utter; for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned" Mt 12:36-37 RSV.

We should try to keep ourselves pure and undefiled -- and that includes speech.

The thought of someone who utters the F word or the MF word, or any of their substitutes, approaching the Blessed Eucharist unrepentant and unshriven chills my bones and hurts my heart.

JMJ Likos

hyperdulia again
Posted

I'm sorry Likos, but I still don't get it. Words aren't dirty in and of themselves words are dirty because people decide they're less refined.

examples both the "f" and "s" words were correct anglo-saxon terms for what they referred to---when the normans invaded england these terms were replaced by french/latin ones and the old word become a sign of a lack of breeding and refinement.

Posted

From the Baltimore Catechism:

352. Q. What is forbidden by the Second Commandment?

A. The Second Commandment forbids all false, rash, unjust, and unnecessary oaths, blasphemy, cursing, and profane words.

"Rash" -- swearing a thing is true or false without knowing for certain whether it is or not. "Blasphemy" is not the same as cursing or taking God's name in vain. It is worse. It is to say or do something very disrespectful to God. To say that He is unjust, cruel or the like, is to blaspheme. We can blaspheme also by actions. To defy God by a sign or action, to dare Him to strike us dead, etc., would be blasphemy. We have a terrible example of blasphemy related in the life of Julian the Apostate. An apostate is one who renounces and gives up his religion, not one who merely neglects it. Julian was a Roman emperor and had been a Catholic, but apostatized. Then in his great hatred for Our Lord he wished to falsify His prophecies and prove them untrue. Our Lord had said that of the temple of Jerusalem there would not be left a stone upon a stone. To make this false Julian began to rebuild the temple. In making the preparation he cleared away the ruins of the old building, not leaving a single stone upon a stone, and thus was instrumental himself in verifying the words of Our Lord; for while the ruins remained there were stones upon stones. He wished to defy God, but when he began to build, fire came forth from the earth and drove back the workmen, and a strong wind scattered the materials. Afterwards Julian was wounded in battle, an arrow having pierced his breast. He drew it out, and throwing a handful of his blood toward heaven, said: "Thou hast conquered, 0 Galilean," meaning Our Lord. This was a horrible blasphemy--throwing his blood in defiance, and calling the Son of God a name which he thought would be insulting (see Fredet's Modern History, Life of Julian). Therefore we can blaspheme by actions or words, doing or saying things intended to insult Almighty God. "Profane words" -- that is, bad, but especially irreverent and irreligious words.

hyperdulia again
Posted

still don't get it...nope...sure don't...and this isn't feigned ignorance, it's real...don't get it nope, nope nope.

littleflower+JMJ
Posted

bad words are bad words.

simple as that.

God gave you a mouth to say clean stuff.

and yes, every word has some history root meaning, but the fact is, its non-existent today compared to words and what they stand for today.

its bad to say bad words.

likos you are correct. i agree. if we want to come before God we need to show it in our actions and words that are spoken.

hyperdulia again
Posted

:lol: i'm sorry , but bad words aren't bad words...words aren't good or bad...language is soooooo arbitrary.

littleflower+JMJ
Posted

:lol: i'm sorry , but bad words aren't bad words...words aren't good or bad...language is soooooo arbitrary.

hyper, you just want to keep saying bad words.

i know how you are.

:rolleyes:

:unsure: im not lying....i do know you. your name's hyper.

hyperdulia again
Posted

:lol: i will admit my desire to talk like a gutter-snipe is part of why i care about this in the first place, but i also want to not do what the church says i shouldn't do, i'm just not convinced she's said as a matter of faith or morals that i'm not allowed to cuss.

Posted

still don't get it...nope...sure don't...and this isn't feigned ignorance, it's real...don't get it nope, nope nope.

Hyper,

Basically, profanity would fall into the same category as rudeness, intolerance--a general lack of virtue. When one does something to deteriorate their virtue, one is sinning--albeit, most likely venial--depending on the severity.

Simply saying the cuss words is not a sin in itself, but the intention of inflicting a negative feeling that almost always goes along with cussing is the sin--as it offends people around you. A lack of virtue is what is harmful.

hyperdulia again
Posted

ok..i think i get it now, but isn't that already covered by the general rules of not being abusive/obnoxious in speech, thought, or action....but anyhooo i get it now.

Posted

- When I cuss, I try to use lesser forms, such as "freakin".

Then there is also "freakin" (which is not a cuss word).

"Freaking" is a lesser term for the F word? Why, when it's obvious what is meant when it's used? It degrades the sexual act, which is God's gift.

Freaking is a cuss word unless it's followed by the word "out," as in "freaking out." "Freaking" anything else means the F word. I degrades the act God created for procreation.

Youse guys and gals can use any dirty words you want -- let your conscience be your guide -- just please don't use them on phatmass. Thanks.

Posted

Dust, does phatmass still have a philter? I thought it didn't, 'cause all these words keep getting printed, whereas before, on the old phorum, they were eliminated.

Posted

Who's your avatar of?

Posted

Don't get me wrong Likos, I don't encourage cussing. It's a problem that I have to overcome. I'm not going to make excuses to justify my inappropiate behavior.

I can go on and on without using the F word or "freakin" word. But it's really hard to stop saying beaver dam.

Note: No sarcasm here.

Posted

Don't get me wrong Likos, I don't encourage cussing.  It's a problem that I have to overcome.  I'm not going to make excuses to justify my inappropiate behavior.

I can go on and on without using the F word or "freakin" word.  But it's really hard to stop saying beaver dam.

Note: No sarcasm here.

:)

Posted

Who's your avatar of?

My signature 'splains it. Thanks for asking. I love to make Blessed Father Damien better known. :)

Posted

Dust, does phatmass still have a philter?  I thought it didn't, 'cause all these words keep getting printed, whereas before, on the old phorum, they were eliminated.

I believe all the cuss words are eliminated? Which ones are you referring to? "beaver dam" is not filtered because it can be used legitimitely in a discussion in a "non-profane' way.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...