An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Priest, A Nun, and Their Son

Craftygrl06

If anyone was watching the Today show this morning around 8am you probably saw the segment i'm talking about. Katie Curric was interveiwing this guy, Peter Monseau? I think his name was. Anyways he's written a book called "Vows:a priest, a nun, and their son." This man's mother is a former nun and her husbanb, a former priest. His book is about his life as an "outcast in the church" he loves so much he "has to change it." He's lobbying for priests and nuns to be able to marry. He said he had considered the priesthood but just could do it because it would mean GIVING UP a wife and family. He just couldn't be called to give anything up. That would be a sacarifice and sacarifice has apparently become sometihng terrible. UGH!!! :blink:
It was just sort of irritating...does anyone else get as annoys as I do when people use the line "I love the church so much I can't leave it, I'm goin to fight to change it" Hmmmmm.... I'm sorry this weather make sme grouchy :maddest:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Craftygrl06' date='Oct 14 2005, 03:14 PM']If anyone was watching the Today show this morning around 8am you probably saw the segment i'm talking about.  Katie Curric was interveiwing this guy, Peter Monseau? I think his name was.  Anyways he's written a book called "Vows:a priest, a nun, and their son."  This man's mother is a former nun and her husbanb, a former priest.  His book is about his life as an "outcast in the church" he loves so much he "has to change it."  He's lobbying for priests and nuns to be able to marry.  He said he had considered the priesthood but just could do it because it would mean GIVING UP a wife and family.  He just couldn't be called to give anything up.  That would be a sacarifice and sacarifice has apparently become sometihng terrible.  UGH!!!    :blink:
It was just sort of irritating...does anyone else get as annoys as I do when people use the line "I love the church so much I can't leave it, I'm goin to fight to change it"  Hmmmmm.... I'm sorry this weather make sme grouchy :maddest:
[right][snapback]758582[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

He has been affected by his parents lack of committment to their vows.

If he really wanted to marry, he should have joined an eastern rite...btw what's the point of a nun being married? Why would a person want to be a nun if she's married anyways? Wouldnt that be the equivalence of a monk being married?

I saw the book in Barnes and Noble the other day. It really astounds me that someone thinks they can change 2000 years of tradition and even things Paul wrote about in 1 Corinthians.

Let's pray for him instead of being mad at him!

Peace,
Dan

when I read that, it sounded like he meant priests and nuns should only be allowed to marry each other... I was like woah that's messed up.

I don't understand at all. He's basically saying they should be able to break a vow, a solemn promise to God Almighty. if you wanna be a married "nun", join one of those 3rd order franciscan communities or something. now, you shouldn't go join an eastern right if you wanna be a marired priest, cause a rite switch has to reflect a shift in your entire theological and ritualistic paradigm of thought, so you really should just choose.

What makes a nun a nun if she's married? That's just bizarre. I mean, what's his definition of a nun?

Edited by zunshynn

Guest JeffCR07

[quote name='Snarf' date='Oct 14 2005, 06:19 PM']Actually Dan, there were married priests until the 11th Century.  Celibacy vows did exist, but they were strictly optional.
[right][snapback]758840[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

There are still married Catholic priests. Just not in the Roman Rite.

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Oct 14 2005, 11:16 PM']There are still married Catholic priests. Just not in the Roman Rite.
[right][snapback]759009[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

There are some exceptions. For instance, a married, Lutheran pastor who converted to Catholicism was allowed to be ordained the priesthood. His name is Fr. Larry Blake, at he is a pastor at St. Hubert's in Chanhassen, MN--Roman Rite.

[quote name='Thumper' date='Oct 15 2005, 12:44 PM']There are some exceptions.  For instance, a married, Lutheran pastor who converted to Catholicism was allowed to be ordained the priesthood.  His name is Fr. Larry Blake, at he is a pastor at St. Hubert's in Chanhassen, MN--Roman Rite.
[right][snapback]759375[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yep, I know him too.....he is a good priest. There are others too.....Rev. Burns Seeley of the Society of St. John Cantius is a married man as well. Also the Anglican Use priests are Latin Rite. While it is not the norm, concessions are made, even for the Roman Rite.

Also, the book listed above is nutso.....

I always get in a debate w/ ppl about priestly celibacy, w/ Catholic fam and friends who think married priests would draw more ppl to become priests b/c "it won't be so hard for them" and also, w/Protestant friends who are accustomed to married ministers. I believe a celibate priesthood is good, b/c he can devote himself to God and his ppl more fully