An Old School Catholic Message Board

diet and exercise

theculturewarrior

theculturewarrior

I used to eat fast food sometimes three times a day. I wish I could get a refund for all those years, because I would be rich! Thanks be to God that I cannot afford that any more! A pound of lentils goes much further than a big mac, and is cheaper than any item on the menu at most fast food places.

I've been trying to follow the dietary guidelines established by the USDA. This website is where I go to plan my daily meals: [url="http://www.mypyramid.gov"]http://www.mypyramid.gov[/url]. Generally, every grain I eat is whole grain, and the fruit I eat is fresh. (Fresh vegetables are expensive, though!) All in all, I am a happier person for it! Yesterday I ate at McDonald's, where nothing on the menu follows USDA guidelines, and it put me in a foul mood!

I also try to take a half hour walk every day. Walking is the best exercise you can do, and it's free! You can pray while you do it, you can watch the sunset (if you live in the Valley) and tell God how beautiful it is.

Doing these two things has made me a happier person.

photosynthesis

yay! i'm happy that you're happy.

fruits and veggies are tasty, but it is amazing the great lengths my school goes to to ruin veggies. they never seem to get it right. <_< i can't wait till I graduate and I can cook my own food all the time. :D:

exercise is fun too.... i like doing noncompetitive things like walking and swimming laps. I used to go to the gym here, but every time I go there some atheletic team is there and I'm always way less "in shape" then they are and I look like a huge elephant on the exercise bikes compared to them.

Proud2BCatholic139

I somtimes cant eat because I work 24/7 (overstatement) and I never get hungry and I lost like 10 pounds because of it.

I miss food!!!!!!

:( :pinch:

Now I have to live off of gronola bars.

Edited by Proud2BCatholic139

photosynthesis

singing makes me a happier person... i have an audition today and what am I drinking? coffee. :getaclue: i am so going to sound like Kermit the Frog.

termitescoming4u!

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 19 2005, 01:25 PM']singing makes me a happier person...  i have an audition today and what am I drinking?  coffee.  :getaclue:  i am so going to sound like Kermit the Frog.
[right][snapback]763813[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
hahaha. _roll: or sing like a termite [should remain inside joke]. lol :lol_roll: :lol

Edited by termitescoming4u!

photosynthesis

Well, singing like a termite is one thing... but eating like a termite probably isn't very nutritious. although a lot of fast food does taste like plywood.

termitescoming4u!

[quote name='T-Bone' date='Oct 19 2005, 01:29 PM']Just don't break into a renditon of "It's not easy being green"....
[right][snapback]763819[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
hahaha good one. sure photosynthesis won't sound like that unless she watches too much pokemon cartoon :lol_roll: :detective:

termitescoming4u!

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Oct 19 2005, 01:32 PM']Well, singing like a termite is one thing...  but eating like a termite probably isn't very nutritious.  although a lot of fast food does taste like plywood.
[right][snapback]763827[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
well u say so cuz u haven't tasted it. don't be jealous :P:

Edited by termitescoming4u!

[quote name='Proud2BCatholic139' date='Oct 19 2005, 01:16 PM']I somtimes cant eat because I work 24/7
Now I have to live off of gronola bars.
[right][snapback]763796[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That is SOO me! :lol: Granola bars are my staple food during the day, lol.

But yes... you are totally right tcw... exercise and healthy eating habits are the way to go. Once you get into the swing of things, its so great and you wonder what you were thinking before. :)

photosynthesis

[quote name='termitescoming4u!' date='Oct 19 2005, 02:33 PM']hahaha good one. sure photosynthesis won't sound like that unless she watches too much pokemon cartoon :lol_roll: :detective:
[right][snapback]763830[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
for the last time, I do NOT watch pokemon!! >:( :maddest: <_<

;)

</hijack>

1337 k4th0l1x0r

I noted to my wife this weekend about how exercise changes when you get older and that is why most adults don't exercise. When I was a kid, we'd play all sorts of games like chase, hide and go seek, and freeze tag. Shunning these things as childish, adults seem to thing that lifting the same thing over and over and running for a long time just to get back to the same place are the best forms of exercise.

I think competitive freezetag could take off. Wallball too. For the more rough and tumble types you can play the game we use to call 'Smear the [ummmm, you know how it ends].'

There's a group of folks around here that get together to play dodgeball as a means of exorcising junior high demons ... I'm hoping to hop in for a game sometime soon.