An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Church and Bible

at0m1c

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Oct 22 2005, 03:47 AM']For some random reason this reminds me of this time when this protestant fellow approached this old catholic gentleman who was praying the rosary in front of an abortion clinic. The protestant went up to him and started saying stuff like, "do you know that the bible says.. [insert anti-catholic argument here]?", the old guys response was, "I don't read the bible, I'm Catholic."
The funny part is, it kind of shut up the protestant evangelist.

:hehehe:

I realize this is actually kind of sad, but for whatever reason I think it was very amusing. That old man was a simple fellow, maybe because I actually knew him I feel comfortable laughing about it. Well anyway... maybe you had to be there.
[right][snapback]767082[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actally its not sad. We hear the bible read at every single Mass, and Jesus said we are to HEAR His words, he never said read them. :)

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Oct 22 2005, 02:51 AM']I still like the other story better, about my friend in the dentists office who was approached by a protestant who pointed at his prominent miraculous medal and said, "you know you don't need any mediators to get to Jesus". To which he spontaneously replied, "well then I guess I don't need you".
[right][snapback]767084[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'll have to remember this one!!!!!!!

this is a prime example of the Church trusting the laity with too complex an idea. Word of advice to our leaders: Not everyone understands nuance and most of your flock are particularly brainless when it comes to theology. They don't need to be experts, that's your job. Tell us Jesus did all His miracles, tell us Adam and Eve existed, tell us Noah existed...stop confusing the uneducated (a majority) and just get us to Heaven.

I really have a problem when things like this, or speculative theology, are shared with the non-professionals in the Church. It makes for conflicting messages, especially in the young. I don't see them educating people to distinguish between facts and the truth...not in my CCD classes.
:maddest: grumpy this morning.

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Oct 21 2005, 11:13 PM']i believe the bible is the 100% truth. I think that as human beings evolve we will be able to prove the validity of the bible more accurately. I also believe that although the bible speaks the 100% truth it doesnt contain the 100% truth of everything.
[right][snapback]766962[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Is the mustard seed the smallest of all seeds? It was according to the scientific knowledge at the time of Jesus and so that is the context in which he said "the mustard seed is the smallest of all seeds". Today we know that the orchid is far smaller and perhaps we don't know what the smallest is today. The Bible has to be understood in the context and times that it is written. The literary devices used must be understood as well. In context the statement about mustard seeds is true. Today if Jesus said it, it would be a problem but he spoke in the language and understanding of the people of the time.

The article that has been all over the net does not apply the Catholic understanding of scripture to the words of the bishops. Rather it applies the fundamentalist understanding and then distorts the words of the Bishops. Mr. James Akin does a fine job of picking this nonsense apart. It is posted (by journeyman) on the thread pointed to by cmotherofpirl above and is well worth reading for anyone who wants this nonsense put to rest.

Blessings

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Oct 21 2005, 11:13 PM']I think that as human beings [b]evolve[/b] we will be able to prove the validity of the bible more accurately.
[right][snapback]766962[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Did no one else think this was a bit...odd?

[quote name='thessalonian' date='Oct 24 2005, 09:32 AM']Is the mustard seed the smallest of all seeds?  It was according to the scientific knowledge at the time of Jesus and so that is the context in which he said "the mustard seed is the smallest of all seeds".  Today we know that the orchid is far smaller and perhaps we don't know what the smallest is today.  The Bible has to be understood in the context and times that it is written.  The literary devices used must be understood as well.  In context the statement about mustard seeds is true.  Today if Jesus said it, it would be a problem but he spoke in the language and understanding of the people of the time. 

The article that has been all over the net  does not apply the Catholic understanding of scripture to the words of the bishops.  Rather it applies the fundamentalist understanding and then distorts the words of the Bishops.  Mr. James Akin does a fine job of picking this nonsense apart.  It is posted  (by journeyman) on the thread pointed to by cmotherofpirl above and is well worth reading for anyone who wants this nonsense put to rest.

Blessings
[right][snapback]768986[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

But don't you realize that the mustard seed only [i]appears[/i] to be smaller than other seeds as a test and if we see a seed that is smaller than we don't have sufficient faith?????

Seriously, the only problem I have with what you said is that you posted it before I did.

+1

[quote name='Norseman82' date='Oct 24 2005, 10:00 PM']But don't you realize that the mustard seed only [i]appears[/i] to be smaller than other seeds as a test and if we see a seed that is smaller than we don't have sufficient faith?????
Seriously, the only problem I have with what you said is that you posted it before I did.

+1
[right][snapback]769638[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol_roll:

Oh wait, you've probably heard that arguement from a fundamentalist :shock:

Edited by thessalonian