An Old School Catholic Message Board

Aging Orders

MC IMaGiNaZUN

MC IMaGiNaZUN

Our community lost a very dear member this last weekend. We are all saddened by this loss, because he was such a vibrant and energetic member. Neither did he act his age at all (well, most of the guys don't act their age.) He died of a relatively unknown and incurable disease, which progressed pretty rapidly, i really don't know if we were all prepared for it. But for a man who was in his fifties, he was rather young for a brother.

Anyways, i was thinking of even before this, as the average age of many orders increases, so will the loss of members. It is just something that is kind of scary, coming at a young age, where the majority of members are over 60.

I am filled with hope for this pope jp ii generation of young vocations, but that doesnt change that fact. Anyways, i don't know if anybody has thought about this.

SHALOM

I kinda know how you feel about the diminishing orders in the US!!!! There is a religious congregation of women that is diminishing, if i enter, i would be the BABY of teh entire community. they only have one in formation but she is like in her 30's!!!!!! Theya re closeing a house in Wisconsin due to the lack of Sisters!!!!! I'm trygint to figure if i belong with them or the Carmelites!!!!!!

but diminsihing orders really smell of elderberries because you neve rknow whats going to happen!!!!!!!!! i know a Sisters whose order had to combine with another just to stay alive!!!!

daugher-of-Mary

Take hope!!!

The Benedictines here are technically an "aging order," but they've been receiving 2-3 vocations steadily per year, and so the community is becoming younger once again. God is good!

The Sisters of ST. Francis of the Holy Cross in Wisconsin are dying out but that is because they really aren't authentic. If I was at the cathedral and saw a lady and somebody said she was a nun I would not believe it, because I honestly wouldn't know their sisters from an elderly lady at the Cathedral. I know one pmer wrote sometime ago that dying orders probably don't wear the habit, walk the labyrinthe, and a few other things. That is this order for you. One of our parishes sisters is with this order but again when she was first here I couldn't grasp the idea she was a nun since the nuns at our parish before hand always wore the habit.

yours in christ,

eddie

[quote name='the_rev' date='Nov 1 2005, 10:38 PM']The Sisters of ST. Francis of the Holy Cross in Wisconsin are dying out but that is because they really aren't authentic.  [right][snapback]776362[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

In light of All Saints Day (at least it still is where I am), I would like to give a prayer of thanksgiving for the specific Franciscan women in your area, as well as all those who preach the Gospel. Communal living, a life of service to others, sacramental celebrations, prayer at the core of their lives, it is important to recognize what these women (and other men and women of these "dying" communities) have given to the Church at large, and the communities in which they've served. Without the [i]authentic [/i] witness of those before us, where would the Gospel message of Jesus Christ be today?

Just because they don't wear the habit doesn't mean they aren't [i]authentic[/i] religious. You have to remember, they probably did not [i]choose[/i] to stop wearing the habit, they did so out of obedience to their superiors. :)

Edited by zabbazooey

MC IMaGiNaZUN

That is a good point...

But i do think the lack of habit is detrimental to vocations.

When a young lady is considering something like that, and she never knows a religious sister. Wihout the obvious presence, it erases it from our minds...

SHALOM

[quote name='MC IMaGiNaZUN' date='Nov 4 2005, 03:00 AM']That is a good point...

But i do think the lack of habit is detrimental to vocations.

When a young lady is considering something like that, and she never knows a religious sister.  Wihout the obvious presence, it erases it from our minds...

SHALOM
[right][snapback]778525[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I am in agreement with you. Religious LIfe in Canada has collapsed. I do account for this because many of the communities did away with many of the things that are part of religious life.

Many live in houses, or apartments on their own, wear secular dress and are basically working in jobs. They have render themselves invisible. Many of our young vocation are heading to the US and entering the orders that have community life and prayer, wear a habit of some form and have a community apostolate.

When I visited the SMME, I spoke to one young sister from Stratford Canada: home of the Shakespearean Festival (Sorry for the commercial !!!!) She said when she looked at the communities here, she said that the communities she visited weren't liviing a lifestyle that was different from the she was living at the time. So why join them?

My feelings are simply this if you continue to drop traditions that are a part of Religious Life, then I believe it is very easy to become secularized.
It is too bad because these communities that are dying have some pretty special women who do love, serve and care for others. I worry about the people who they help and I wonder what will happen to them. I guess all we can do in this situation is pray.

Blessings,

DonnaMarie

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Nov 3 2005, 11:10 AM']Just because they don't wear the habit doesn't mean they aren't [i]authentic[/i] religious. You have to remember, they probably did not [i]choose[/i] to stop wearing the habit, they did so out of obedience to their superiors. :)
[right][snapback]777768[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually the community as a whole decides whether or not to continue to wear the habit. there are someon communities that wear regular cloths and a few in their own communities who do!!!! its just not the superiors who decide, its the whole congregation!!!!! its a known fact!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Mrvoll' date='Nov 9 2005, 05:08 PM']The thing is that there is a lot of orders out there. I looked at a few orders. It seems that there is an order for everyone.
[right][snapback]784107[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[b]TRU THAT!!!![/b] I am thinking the Camrelites are for me instead of the Sisters of Nazareth!!!!