An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope will ‘prune’ weak Catholic institutions

Lounge Daddy

This is all TOTAL speculation. It may not be without foundation on the archbishop's part, but it's not like he's said the pope is actively planning to "prune" weak Catholic institutions, as the title of this thread intimates. It seems more than a little premature to be guessing where such cuts might be made when there's been no official move in that direction AT ALL other than the archbishops educated guess.

argent_paladin

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Nov 3 2005, 09:56 AM']Excuse me, but there are some great Jesuit schools out there. Creighton University and Creighton Prep are two very good schools....run by JESUITS.

I'm tired of all the people who bash Jesuits who haven't seen the good side of the order.
[right][snapback]777751[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I think that Creighton is more the exception than the rule. I think it is more the fact that it is located in Omaha, Nebraska than the fact that it is Jesuit that it is a very good school. They have a great bishop and the community is very red state and conservative.

Just look at the evidence:
1. The shutdown of the Ignatius Institute by the University of San Francisco.

2. The crucifix controversy and the walk-out by faculty of Arinze at Georgetown.

3. So many problems at Seattle U and Santa Clara.

4. Haven for theological dissent at BC and Loyola.

Honestly, when people say "Jesuit universities" they are talking about Georgetown, Boston College, Gonzaga, Loyola, Fordham, Santa Clara, USF, Marquette, Loyola Marymount and maybe Seattle. They are not talking about Creighton (usually) or for that matter Regis, Rockhurst, Wheeling, etc.

The trend is clear. Jesuit institutions are sacrificing their tradition for academic competitiveness. They are not a sign of contradiction, but go with the culture. That's why Christendom, Ave Maria, Thomas Aquinas, etc were formed. If the 28 Jesuit schools were doing their job, there wouldn't be a market for these new schools.
Now, I would be the first to admit that they do a generally excellent job in high schools, but there aren't actually too many Jesuits who teach there anymore.
You are right that people treat the Js as easy targets and they aren't all bad. But they are in deep trouble and still in denial about it.

No <_< don't shut them all down, there are lots of kids depending on the schools to stay OPEN. Just strip them of their 'Catholic' title.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I see a lot of reasons to hope for JPII's springtime of evangelization. Where's your sense of adventure people? We can turn this around...just imagine the potential we would throw away if we stripped Notre Dame U of it's claim to Catholicism. Talk about a Catholic institution that carries cultural weight! Seriously, look at how many seminaries have turned around in the last 20 years. Or if you prefer, just believe every rumor you here about how terrible they are. Anyway that's just an example.

I don't wanna be Pollyannish here, I definitely agree that some ostensibly Catholic institutions are just plain scandalous. But most of them are already in violation of Canon Law. What more can be done? The word "Catholic" can't be copyrighted legally. I guess one possibility would be to discipline clergy and religious associated with the institution. But in most cases they aren't there or wouldn't be missed. Or would relish the notoriety!

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' date='Nov 3 2005, 01:56 AM']Catholics for Free Choice? here in the States?
i hope i hope i hope i hope...   :)
[right][snapback]777616[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

this is a case in point...nothing can be done. They get no support from the Church. They have been clearly denounced by the Church. There is no basis whatsoever for considering them Catholic. But we can't make them stop using the word.

edit: ugh...I just went to their website and only lasted a few minutes. I feel ill.

Edited by beatty07

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='argent_paladin' date='Nov 3 2005, 12:14 PM']Unfortunately, I think that Creighton is more the exception than the rule. I think it is more the fact that it is located in Omaha, Nebraska than the fact that it is Jesuit that it is a very good school. They have a great bishop and the community is very red state and conservative.
[right][snapback]777816[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I must disagree. Creighton is not a very good school...it's a decent one, but it's more known for law and medicine snobbery than as a Catholic institution.

Further, while Bishop Curtis is very good (he was my old boss when I was a semmie and so I respect him greatly), his priests are generally disobedient. As for the Jesuits, they got in trouble a couple years ago for advocating some dissent.

Nebraska is very conservative and Omaha mostly is, but there are disadvantages.

Believe me, I lived there the first 18 years of my life.

Having lived in 4 dioceses, I rank them in this order from my favorite to least favorite:

1. Lincoln
2. Omaha
3. Steubenville
4. Kansas City-St. Joseph

BTW, Kansas City-St. Joseph now has Bishop Fynn at the helm, and he rocks, so I'm certain things are better than when I was there.