An Old School Catholic Message Board

Non-habited Dominicans

msahara

Ok so I didn't know who else I would tell this to so I thought I would post my experience this evening.

I went to go visit some of the Dominican friars in NC since I'm on break from school. The Summit Dominicans gave me their number so that I should contact them. So, one of the friars and I arranged for me to join the rest of the friars for Vespers and dinner.

When I got there, I was surprised to see that they weren't habited at all. And I understand that not wearing the habit doesn't necessarily make a religious a bad person but it is unfortunate if a religious doesn't wear the habit.

They were very cordial and one of the Adrian Dominican sisters joined us. She was nice too although you wouldn't be able to tell that she was a sister because she didn't wear the habit and she seemed pretty "worldly" for a religious.

All through my time there, I could not perceive the presence of Christ at all. At all. They were nice people and very kind to me for sure but Christ was missing. It was so different being with them and then being with the summit dominicans. Christ is everywhere at the summit monastery!

I think that it is unfortunate that religious have gone down this road of "Catholicism-lite". Especially Dominicans. :( What are your thoughts?

Edited by msahara

[quote name='msahara' date='Nov 4 2005, 09:34 PM']
They were very cordial and one of the Adrian Dominican sisters joined us.  She was nice too although you wouldn't be able to tell that she was a sister because she didn't wear the habit and she seemed pretty "worldly" for a religious. 

I think that it is unfortunate that religious have gone down this road of  "Catholicism-lite".  Especially Dominicans.  :(  What are your thoughts?
[right][snapback]779211[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
We had an Adrian Domincan as our DRE. She wore "some of the habit." She did not wear the veil. I thought it looked ridiculous. One day she wore the veil and I told her how beautiful she looked.

I asked her, "Why don't you wear your veil everyday?"
She said, "I only wear it on special occasions."
I said, "You don't consider being the Bride of Christ everyday a special
occasion?" She glared at me and walked off.

It's sad.

I can relate hon, I visited some benedictine sisters recently and I received the same impression. I really didn't see the light of Christ in those sisters more or less like there just a bunch of women living together.

In JM and St. Teresa

AlterDominicus

1. The first thing on the top of my list was -while looking for a community- THEY MUST WEAR HABITS! :) :think: :) I had a stand on the "topic" I mean my mentor Sister Marion Welter she doesnt wear a habit or a veil.

Yeah, I agree about the habit--I wouldn't feel like a nun without one. Just wearing one to me is a testimony to one's vocation. My discernment group got an earful about this :D hehe

[quote name='jiyoung' date='Nov 5 2005, 01:35 AM']Yeah, I agree about the habit--I wouldn't feel like a nun without one. Just wearing one to me is a testimony to one's vocation. My discernment group got an earful about this :D hehe
[right][snapback]779415[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

To me (just to me) maybe this isn't right but I question their vocation.
Now I know there are a lot of sisters who feel as we do but because of OBEDIENCE do not wear one. But with the changes in the religious life ie. more freedom to express who they are "why don't they start I guess complaining?"

I also wonder about people that are married who REFUSE to wear a wedding ring? Not that on the job maybe, it is hazardous. But just will not do it. When I get married I am getting the biggest (in your face) ring I can find. :shock:

JMJ
11/5 - Thirty-first Saturday

It is not legitimate to question someone's vocation because of the clothing they wear. For instance, the Jesuits have a habit, but since the days of St. Ignatius it has been optional.

[quote name='Pio Nono' date='Nov 5 2005, 08:55 AM']JMJ

It is not legitimate to question someone's vocation because of the clothing they wear.  For instance, the Jesuits have a habit, but since the days of St. Ignatius it has been optional.
[right][snapback]779476[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Exactly...

In St. Louis, we have tons of non-habited religious, and while some aren't quite orthodox, there are some great ones. It's true that the witness is lessened, but it was through the witness of two such sisters when i was in early elementary school that I first considered a vocaiton. One Sister, my principal, would take me to Daily Mass with her on days my dad would have to drop me off at school really early.

They still make a valid sacrifice of offering their virginity, and in many cases, their youth as well. Their vocation is just as valid as anybody else's.

The same is true for the wedding ring. My dad never did wear his wedding ring. He's a simple kind of guy and wearing a ring drove him crazy. My parents have been happily married for 27 years; should one criticize the validity of their marriage because he doesn't wear gold around his finger? They ended up melting their rings down and having a ring made for my mom for their 25th anniversary, so he doesn't even have his ring anymore!

Edited by jgirl

I think the number of young vocations who choose to wear the habit is much, much, much higher now than those who choose orders with no habits. So I wouldn't worry too much.

[quote name='Pio Nono' date='Nov 5 2005, 08:55 AM']JMJ

It is not legitimate to question someone's vocation because of the clothing they wear.  For instance, the Jesuits have a habit, but since the days of St. Ignatius it has been optional.
[right][snapback]779476[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm sorry I thought this site was in America. I CAN QUESTION ANYTHING I WANT. You are welcome to your opinion. [color=red]Edit: Law of Charity[/color].

Translation anyone who thinks differently than us is a threat and is to be harassed I'll stay off of Vocation Station.

I stated that was my opinion, which meaning that I have served in the military I have a right too. You know the whole freedom of America thing.

I get the feeling this is a continuation of the WITCH HUNT I was subjected to because I tried to help Nicole grow up. The vocational directors i mentioned visit VS on a regular basis. So of course this will be of interest to them.

If anyone has ANYTHING SUPPORTIVE TO ADD and wants to talk to me you can PM me. KEEP IN MIND I SAID SUPPORTIVE.

And trust me I haven't said a tenth of what I am really feeling.

JMJ

End of discussion. Your concept of "freedom" is Protestant. "Freedom" in classical Catholicism means the ability to do and say what I [i]should[/i], not what I [i]am able[/i]. Also, opinions are not simply to be asserted, they are to be held up in the light of Truth to see whether they are good opinions.