An Old School Catholic Message Board

King Jame's Court

zunshynn

:lol:

Ok, so a mormon friend was looking through my bible (NAB) and he was like... this isn't the Bible! This is like... a summary of the Bible! And he was saying how it was making him uncomfortable or something... and how he didn't like it because when we try to "modernize" it... it loses stuff or something.

I looked in the directory for stuff about translations... but I couldn't find anything. I've never had to discuss why Catholics don't hold the KJV up on a pedestal, so I don't know what to say. Suggestions would be muchos appreciated!

[quote name='zunshynn' date='Nov 7 2005, 06:45 PM']:lol:

Ok, so a mormon friend was looking through my bible (NAB) and he was like... this isn't the Bible! This is like... a summary of the Bible! And he was saying how it was making him uncomfortable or something... and how he didn't like it because when we try to "modernize" it... it loses stuff or something.

I looked in the directory for stuff about translations... but I couldn't find anything. I've never had to discuss why Catholics don't hold the KJV up on a pedestal, so I don't know what to say. Suggestions would be muchos appreciated!
[right][snapback]781877[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
catholicapologetics.net has alot of stuff on KJV-onlyism. go here:
[url="http://www.catholicapologetics.net/0002kjv.htm"]http://www.catholicapologetics.net/0002kjv.htm[/url]

i can think of two reasons right now why catholics don't use the KJV:

1. its missing a few books
2. its a very protestant undertaking

that link should fill in the rest

pax christi,
phatcatholic

Well, the NAB might not be the best translation to show your KJV-loving Mormon friend. It's not the greatest example of serious Catholic biblical scholarship.

Let your friend thumb through a copy of the RSV-CE (Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition). At least with this one, if your buddy has any negative criticisms, you can say that it is an extremely clear and literal (word-for-word) translation of the original Hebrew and Greek Scriptures.

photosynthesis

if he doesn't like the modern language of the NAB, what about showing him more traditional translations, like the Douay-Rheims version?

Does anybody know where i can pick up a bilinear bible? (Or whatever the one that has the greek and hebrew texts on one side and then the english on another, triglot perhaps?) Preferably one that is good Catholic readin' :disguise:

[quote]You know it is getting late when you read NAB as NBA...[/quote]
:yawn: indeed...

why buy one when you can go [url="http://bible.crosswalk.com/"][b]here[/b][/url] and read the greek/hebrew behind the KJV and the NASB? in the drop down menu, choose "KJV with Strong's Numbers" or "NAS with Strong's Numbers."