An Old School Catholic Message Board

Non-habited women's orders

shortnun

I have a somewhat specific question here. Namely,

[i]Are there any women's religious orders in the US/Canada who wear[b] a modified habit, or none at all[/b], and are experiencing an increase in terms of young vocations (young meaning under 30)?[/i]

So I know that I've placed a lot of stipulations on my question, and I do have a few ideas as to places I could look at online, but I come to the phatmass phamily in hopes that you all are aware of some of these orders off the top of your heads. Also, in this case I'm looking for established (or establishing) religious orders, and not consecrated lay institutes (Miles Jesu, Regnum Christi, etc).

[b]Nota Bene:[/b]
This information is purely for my own knowledge. I have had the privilege of reading many posts that address the issue, and the surrounding importance of, religious habits in today's society. If there is a desire for further discussion on such a matter, I politely request that it be placed (or started anew) in a different thread.

Edited by shortnun

all of the orders that i know of that don't wear a habit have very few if any vocations and are dieing out.

Habits rock ! :D:

Edited by jezic

Laudate_Dominum

hmm.. I know several young women who have become nuns and they all wear habits.

There are a couple of orders that I hear come up pretty often among young women discerning and they wear habits (Nashville Dominicans, Cloistered, Discalced Carmelites, etc.)...

That's the best answer I have with my limited experience.

THe Ferndinad Indiana Benedictines get vocations quite regularly and they don't wear any habit.

There are many Orders who wear a so called modified habit who get vocations: The Martyrs of St. George, The Carmelites of the Divine heart of Jesus, Trappistines, many Carmels, some Dominicans, TOR Francisicans in OH, Sister of Mercy of Alma. Actually, Nashville is wearing a modified habit if you are saying that the veil is part of the habit. Almost ALL habits, even those that aren't considered modified have been modified in some way, even the PCPA's and the PCC's.

If you look at www.religiouslife. org and see their vocation search page there are many communities who wear a modified habit...

The Daughters of St. Paul

[url="http://www.daughtersofstpaul.com"]www.daughtersofstpaul.com[/url]

They wear a modified habit (which has become less common. Some do not wear habits at all), and get between 3-6 postulants each year.

[quote name='Susan' date='Nov 8 2005, 03:51 PM']THe Ferndinad Indiana Benedictines get vocations quite regularly and they don't wear any habit.

There are many Orders who wear a so called modified habit who get vocations: The Martyrs of St. George, The Carmelites of the Divine heart of Jesus, Trappistines, many Carmels, some Dominicans, TOR Francisicans in OH, Sister of Mercy of Alma. Actually, Nashville is wearing a modified habit if you are saying that the veil is part of the habit. Almost ALL habits, even those that aren't considered modified have been modified in some way, even the PCPA's and the PCC's.

If you look at www.religiouslife. org and see their vocation search page there are many communities who wear a modified habit...
[right][snapback]782808[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hey hon,
I am just curious how has the PCPA, PCC or even Discalced Carmelites habit been altered? Sorry fory highjacking the thread just wondering. I thought that the Discalced Carmelites wear the same habit that O.H.M St. Teresa of Avila wore. Just wondering

In JMJ

Laudate_Dominum

my post wasn't talking about altered habits so much.. I don't know enough about habits to necessarily know when they've been altered unless its a major thing. Like I assume the veils that show most of the hair line have been altered in recent history. I was just talking about orders that wear a habit at all. I don't know anyone who has joined a non-habit wearing order.

And can you really call the TOR sisters an altered habit order? They are so new I doubt they had an earlier habit form. And they don't have a particularly modernized habit, its pretty normal really.

I would consider a habit that largely resembles street clothes to be a modernized habit. The TOR Sisters don't have that.
And I imagine if you took the gazillion orders who follow the rule of the third order regular the TOR sisters in Ohio are among those with the least modernized habit.

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Nov 8 2005, 05:26 PM']Hey hon,
I am just curious how has the PCPA, PCC or even Discalced Carmelites habit been altered?  Sorry fory highjacking the thread just wondering.  I thought that the Discalced Carmelites wear the same habit that O.H.M St. Teresa of Avila wore.  Just wondering

In JMJ
[right][snapback]782935[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The PCPA habit hasn't really been altered among those who wear the full habit. The only difference I know of is the top part of the veil, which looks more square, is not present in the European PCPA's habits because M. Angelica added it. The European sisters wear a more carmelite veil, which just rests on the head.

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Nov 8 2005, 06:26 PM']Hey hon,
I am just curious how has the PCPA, PCC or even Discalced Carmelites habit been altered?  Sorry fory highjacking the thread just wondering.  I thought that the Discalced Carmelites wear the same habit that O.H.M St. Teresa of Avila wore.  Just wondering

In JMJ
[right][snapback]782935[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well, some Carmels do wear an altered habit, no toque and sometimes a more streamlined tunic, etc. The Carmel in LA wears this and they have more novices than professed!

IF you look in the old Guide to Sisterhoods you can see that the Poor Clare's had a more full "collar type" and the PCPA's are more "streamlined," too.

I don't mean big modifications but I know I've read some things where people think that any changes to a habit is modification and when you look at the history of Orders and stuff you kinda see that they were always making slight changes.

The Apostles of the Interior Life are the only order I know of who gets vocations without a habit. They are stationed in Champaign at U of I.

FaustinaVianney

[quote name='Susan' date='Nov 8 2005, 03:51 PM']THe Ferndinad Indiana Benedictines get vocations quite regularly and they don't wear any habit.
[/quote]
I live near the Ferdinand Sisters and their website say they are getting NEARLY 3 a year, but I am not sure that all of them are staying. I have only seen 3-4 that are in their late 20's or 30's, so if they are getting them they must be older and not from our Diocese. All the girls I know that are discerning make a point to stay away. Most of the sisters are older and dying. They have so many older sisters and not enough younger sisters that they are contracting a nursing home to take care of them. The community appreciates the sisters, but that is about it. The youth have no interest because of the way they live. It is very sad to see this sisters because it is as if they do understand the true beauty of Religious Life. They really do need lots of prayers to understand the beauty of their vocation.

Freedom is not the ability to "do what we want," but the ability to choose the good on our own.

I don't know if the Apostles of the Interior Life technically count since they're really primarily from Italy and do their apostolate (spiritual direction) on college campuses. They're no longer at U of I in Chapaign but are still at U. of Kansas and U. Wisconsin, Madison.

[quote name='jgirl' date='Nov 8 2005, 09:42 PM']The Apostles of the Interior Life are the only order I know of who gets vocations without a habit. They are stationed in Champaign at U of I.
[right][snapback]783227[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='magnificat' date='Nov 11 2005, 12:12 AM']I don't know if the Apostles of the Interior Life technically count since they're really primarily from Italy and do their apostolate (spiritual direction) on college campuses.  They're no longer at U of I in Chapaign but are still at U. of Kansas and U. Wisconsin, Madison.
[right][snapback]785427[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I had never heard of them before. So even if they're not "technically" American, they're still revelatory of how the Spirit is alive in the Church today.

[quote name='shortnun' date='Nov 11 2005, 12:20 AM']I had never heard of them before. So even if they're not "technically" American, they're still revelatory of how the Spirit is alive in the Church today.
[right][snapback]785433[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

One of the novices at Nashville has a "Aposle of the Interior Life" as a spiritual director. I think they have a house in Chicago? Or somewhere in the midwest?

They have a house in Lawrence, KS and in Madison, Wi. I believe those are the only places they're at right now in the US. Here's their website--they are amazing women!
[url="http://www.apostlesofil.org/AilIndex.htm"]http://www.apostlesofil.org/AilIndex.htm[/url]