Sojourner Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 Ever wondered? [url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051108/ap_on_sc/gender_humor&printer=1;_ylt=AkOb3QJMu_e8kZGsxbQKacpxieAA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-"]Yahoo news to the rescue![/url] [quote]But they were surprised when their studies of how the male and female brains react to humor showed that women were more analytical in their response, and felt more pleasure when they decided something really was funny. "Women appeared to have less expectation of a reward, which in this case was the punch line of the cartoon," said Reiss. "So when they got to the joke's punch line, they were more pleased about it." Women were subjecting humor to more analysis with the aim of determining if it was indeed funny, Reiss said in a telephone interview. Men are using the same network in the brain, but less so, he said, men are less discriminating. "It doesn't take a lot of analytical machinery to think someone getting poked in the eye is funny," he commented when asked about humor like the Three Stooges.[/quote]
Ash Wednesday Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 Brilliant! This all explains a lot. Some of the things that you men laugh at.....
Piccoli Fiori JMJ Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 I laugh at some pretty dumb things, but I'm a lady... does that mean I am not analytical about humor?
Sojourner Posted November 8, 2005 Author Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Nov 8 2005, 06:08 PM']I laugh at some pretty dumb things, but I'm a lady... does that mean I am not analytical about humor? [right][snapback]783018[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I laugh at dumb things too ... but I appreciate more sophisticated humor more.
Ash Wednesday Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 I don't know about analytical levels, but it just seems that men laugh about some *really* dumb things. Dumber than the norm.
Sojourner Posted November 8, 2005 Author Posted November 8, 2005 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Nov 8 2005, 06:34 PM']I don't know about analytical levels, but it just seems that men laugh about some *really* dumb things. Dumber than the norm. [right][snapback]783039[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Exactly. Case in point: Dumb and Dumber. I know very few women who find that movie funny. Very, very few. But EVERY guy I know thinks it's hilarious.
Tink Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 [color=#ff0066]I know, me too! I laugh at the dumbest things ever.... I LOVE to laugh! : [/color]
Ash Wednesday Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Nov 8 2005, 06:35 PM']Exactly. Case in point: Dumb and Dumber. I know very few women who find that movie funny. Very, very few. But EVERY guy I know thinks it's hilarious. [right][snapback]783041[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Don't forget the perpetual male fixation with toilet humor! Bonus points if it's at the dinner table.
Sojourner Posted November 9, 2005 Author Posted November 9, 2005 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Nov 8 2005, 07:04 PM']Don't forget the perpetual male fixation with toilet humor! Bonus points if it's at the dinner table. [right][snapback]783077[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Ahem. OK, so for Halloween I went to my friend's party as "flatulence girl." I have a remote-controlled fluffy air extraction machine which I stuck in my back pocket, and at convenient times set off, to my own great amusement. You should've SEEN my friend J's eyes when I let one rip in front of him. I guess I do have a bit of a 12-year-old boy somewhere in my psyche ... :
Pio Nono Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 JMJ 11/8 - Thirty-second Tuesday The watching of the Three Stooges and the Marx Brothers at least once a week is a sacred rite which should never be violated. :
azaelia Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 [quote name='Pio Nono' date='Nov 8 2005, 08:50 PM']The watching of the Three Stooges and the Marx Brothers at least once a week is a sacred rite which should never be violated. : [right][snapback]783131[/snapback][/right] [/quote] But the Marx Brothers qualifies as intelligent humor
theculturewarrior Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 I just laugh at myself. How dumb does that make me?
Piccoli Fiori JMJ Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 [quote name='Pio Nono' date='Nov 8 2005, 06:50 PM']JMJ 11/8 - Thirty-second Tuesday The watching of the Three Stooges and the Marx Brothers at least once a week is a sacred rite which should never be violated. : [right][snapback]783131[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I love the Marx Brothers
scardella Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 Umm they only tested 10 men and 10 women. I'd hardly say such a study is conclusive.
philothea Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 [quote name='scardella' date='Nov 8 2005, 10:33 PM']Umm they only tested 10 men and 10 women. I'd hardly say such a study is conclusive. [right][snapback]783279[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Details, details. It's more fun to jump to broad, slightly insulting conclusions!
Sojourner Posted November 9, 2005 Author Posted November 9, 2005 [quote name='philothea' date='Nov 8 2005, 10:36 PM'] Details, details. It's more fun to jump to broad, slightly insulting conclusions! [right][snapback]783283[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I really, really like the way you think.
franciscanheart Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 [quote name='Lil Red' date='Nov 8 2005, 07:52 PM'] i love Dumb and Dumber. [right][snapback]783134[/snapback][/right] [/quote] im glad im not the only one (of course i think i was like 6 or 7 when i saw it but.... from what i remember i thought it was great)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now