Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Mary is Better Than Wonder Woman


Recommended Posts

Posted

Here are the top ten reasons why Mary is better than Wonder Woman. (Courtesy of the Catholic RageMonkey)

[b]10.) What kind of sense does an invisible jet make?[/b] Face it, an invisible jet makes as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. You'd be constantly losing it at the airfield, not to mention a fair number of bloody noses from "bumping" into the body of the plane. Furthermore, the comics have Wonder Woman with the power of flight, so isn't this jet a bit redundant? With Mary, she is simply everywhere the Church is, as she is its pre-eminant member. This doesn't include all those times she appears for the benefit of the faithful.

[b]9.) Mary serves the one True God; Wonder Woman works for anybody.[/b] Here we have the classic problem of turning from cleverly concocted myths to the worship of the True God. Mary has got WW beat hands down. Not only was Mary in on the First Covenant, she is the sign of the Covenant coming to full flower when she bears her son, the Covenant Between Expressed in Living Flesh. She is the first Christian. Wonder Woman will work for Olympians or the U.S. Government or the Justice League or whomever will keep her in Aqua Net. Heck, she even shilled Hostess cupcakes at one point in her career.

[b]8.) One word: modesty.[/b] I must confess a puerile crush upon the Lynda Carter incarnation of WW. Wonder Woman's attire, however, leaves very little to the imagination. Let's just face it: metal brasserie-wearing ladies are not the ladies one takes home to your parents for marriage approval. Your parents are likely to think that you stopped by the carnival on your way to the house. Mary however conceals the mystery of her feminity, a femininity which achieves supreme greatness in the economy of salvation. Mary gets to be both Virgin and Mother. She conscrated her heart and that heart bursts with life-giving Love. Mary is someone you would be proud to have over.

[b]7.) Better Accessories. [/b]What's Wonder Woman got? Apart from an invisible jet, bullet reflecting vambraces, and a magic lasso, so what? The jet we have already considered. But the bullet deflecting bracelets are nothing compared with the ability to crush Satan with your heel. And Wonder Woman's lasso is out of control. I mean seriously, what kind of man-hating psycho came up with this one? The lasso compels those entrapped in it to tell the truth and to obey Wonder Woman. On the other hand, Mary's got the benefit of being full of grace and freed from the corruption of all sin, Original and personal, of being the Mother of God, of being assumed Body and Soul into Heaven, and of her perpetual Virginity. Add on the Rosary and you see the clear winner. Rather than making us tell truth, the Rosary tells us the truth and then in light of these saving truths, we find the strength, through the sweet surrender of grace, of submitting to God. Nothing degrading in being wrapped in the bonds of the Holy Rosary.

[b]6.) Better Allies. [/b]Do you think St. Joseph, her most chaste spouse, has anything to fear from being one-upped by Steve Trevor or even Superman? Guess again. Once you put in that Mary, as Queen of Heaven, also, can count the apostles, prophets, martyrs, confessors, and the many other saints, Wonder Woman will be hard put to impress me even if she were to marshal all the forces of Themescrya.

[b]5.) Mary appeals to every culture and land; Wonder Woman is clearly an American idea.[/b] Blessed Gueric of Igny reminds us that faithful Christians instinctively turn to Mary and honor her. That would explain all the various ways Mary is and can be depicted without doing violence to her nature and identity. We will not remind readers about the elephant dung incident but simply note that as an anamoly. However, try picturing Wonder Woman in a sarong or in a kimono, and you will see my point. Wonder Woman exists in the weird intersection of the glorification of violence and inappropriate sexuality that is modern American culture. If you don't believe me, go see Aeon Flux when it comes out and then we'll talk.

[b]4.) Mary's my mother in the plan of Grace.[/b] No matter how much I might want a relationship with Wonder Woman, I can't have one. However, the instant I am baptized, because I become a Son in the Son, Mary becomes Mary of all the Living, those who live in Christ.

[b]3.) If I follow Mary's example, I can go to Heaven. If I follow Wonder Woman's example, I am fit only for an island paradise. [/b]If I wanted an island paradise, I would only be aiming for Adam and Eve. Mary shows the human person who follows Christ in the fullness of joy in Heaven. You take your pick.

[b]2.) Mary is a real, historical person.[/b] Unlike Wonder Woman, I can model my life on Mary. As one who is baptized and therefore illuminated by grace, I can actually attain to the same things that Mary actually achieved. Through Faith, I can give birth to the Word Incarnate, both in thought and action. Through Hope, I can unite any misery or suffering to the Passion of Christ, and thus not submit to despair. Through Love, I can achieve victory over the greatest evil of any time or place. No matter how hard I try, I will never become an Amazonian princess. (I think we are all glad about that.) Additionally, I can never learn to fly under my own power or deflect bullets with magic bracelets.

[b]1.) Mary's Son is God![/b] In the final analysis, this is the Ace of Trumps in this discussion. Rather than having some muddled sense of divinity being like a genetic trait, which predominates in both Greek and modern American culture, Mary's Son reinforces the great divide between Creator and Creature, while simulataneously showing us the condescension which God shows to Man in order to bring all creation back into union with Himself.

homeschoolmom
Posted

I had no idea that they were running in the same competition.

:rolling:

Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 11 2005, 02:53 PM']I had no idea that they were running in the same competition.

:rolling:
[right][snapback]785909[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

ROFL me either lol

Piccoli Fiori JMJ
Posted

Heck, there IS NO competiton!

Posted

Wow, Mary is way cooler than Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman, your cool and all, but you would be way cooler if you were more like Our Lady!

Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 11 2005, 02:53 PM']I had no idea that they were running in the same competition.

:rolling:
[right][snapback]785909[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Oh nooooooooooo!

Now I have kind of Superfriends + Mary thing going in my head.

Aaaaaaagh :pinch: .

Posted

Just you watch...they're gonna make Mary comic books and action figures now... :lol:

Mary just rocks. Sorry Wonder Woman... ^_^

Posted

Mary: the perfect 10!

WW, the 9.1, its just a fact!

I can't wait to see the outcome for the Peter vs Hulk competition, or the St. Aquinas vs Mighty Mouse.

Does anyone remember who St.Augustine was pinned against? I hear the match-up is supposed to go this saturday.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Nov 11 2005, 03:44 PM']Here are the top ten reasons why Mary is better than Wonder Woman. (Courtesy of the Catholic RageMonkey)

[b]10.) What kind of sense does an invisible jet make?[/b]...Furthermore, the comics have Wonder Woman with the power of flight, so isn't this jet a bit redundant?
[right][snapback]785903[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually, it originated as an invisible airplane, but the comic artists decided that was too silly and just changed it so she could fly. They're two different storylines.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Not Chris Zewe' date='Nov 11 2005, 04:51 PM']How many deaths, tortures, wars, and hinderments (o.O is that even a word?) of progression has Wonder Woman caused, though?

Besides that, Mary died a virgin.  I wonder what that says about her looks...
[right][snapback]785962[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Actually, Wonder Woman was created as a warrior to help the Allies in WWII, or don't you know the comics?

Regardless, Mary was prettier than any woman you can imagine. She died a virgin because that beauty was spotless, allowing her to stay spotlessly true to her vocation, the Bride of the Holy Spirit.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Not Chris Zewe' date='Nov 11 2005, 05:03 PM']That isn't starting a war...but I see your point.  Mary still has her beat, though.
I've never seen, let alone read, a comicbook in my life.
But...she was supposed to marry Joseph...so she wouldn't have died a virgin, because common sense says otherwise.  Regardless, I'd do Wonder Woman any day, while Mary...meh.
[right][snapback]785978[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That's where you're lucky. If you laid a finger on Wonder Woman, she'd kill you. If you touched Mary, she'd forgive you.

I forgive you, too.

homeschoolmom
Posted
:o Not Chris magically vanished...
Either that or Raphael's talking to himself...


Bye Not Chris...
Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 11 2005, 03:11 PM']:o Not Chris magically vanished...
Either that or Raphael's talking to himself...
Bye Not Chris...
[right][snapback]785987[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:blink: i was wondering that very same thing! :blink:

franciscanheart
Posted

[quote name='sweetpea316' date='Nov 11 2005, 03:13 PM']Just you watch...they're gonna make Mary comic books and action figures now...  :lol:

Mary just rocks. Sorry Wonder Woman...  ^_^
[right][snapback]785928[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
they already make Jesus action figures.... only makes sense for Mary to be next!

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 11 2005, 05:11 PM']:o Not Chris magically vanished...
Either that or Raphael's talking to himself...
[right][snapback]785987[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm not prepared to narrow it down to either of those possibilities.

Posted

Poor Wonder Woman never had a chance....

Posted

Obvioulsy many of you dont know alot about Wonder Woman.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...