An Old School Catholic Message Board

Did I commit scandal?

zunshynn

Yesterday, my mom and my brother didn't attend mass, and I think it's partially my fault. We usually go to mass in the evening, but yesterday I went by myself in the morning, bacause I had a lot of homework to do. I expected them to go in the evening, but then they didn't, and my mom went shopping instead. But I think if I had gone in the evening like usual and hadn't walked in the morning, she would have gone with me. :unsure:

I take it your mother is an adult with free will, and while we can edify and encourage by example we are not responsible for other people's free will decisions. :D:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='zunshynn' date='Nov 14 2005, 06:09 PM']Yesterday, my mom and my brother didn't attend mass, and I think it's partially my fault. We usually go to mass in the evening, but yesterday I went by myself in the morning, bacause I had a lot of homework to do. I expected them to go in the evening, but then they didn't, and my mom went shopping instead. But I think if I had gone in the evening like usual and hadn't walked in the morning, she would have gone with me. :unsure:
[right][snapback]788960[/snapback][/right][/quote]
you didn't cause scandal because you still provided your good example of going to Church, it just happened to be at a time that was not "convenient" for them. you certainly didn't convince them NOT to go. so, this is really much less a matter of when you went to Church and much more a matter of how important the mass is to them. not going just b/c someone doesn't go with you and when you want them to is a lame excuse and hardly a just reason for missing mass. the sin is theirs not yours.