StatingTheObvious Posted November 18, 2005 Posted November 18, 2005 I make up my own words. I forget them for a while and then remember them. My current favorite: Re-functionalized - To fix something that was totalled.
StColette Posted November 18, 2005 Posted November 18, 2005 [quote name='Lil Red' date='Nov 16 2005, 07:09 PM']"strategery" [right][snapback]792000[/snapback][/right] [/quote] ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! my sayings are "okie pokie" and "wondermous" lol
AlterDominicus Posted November 18, 2005 Posted November 18, 2005 "Jazzier" I use a very enthusastic -just talk to SJAB about that!- "YES!" Alot, or I like to sign some things like "No-Way" I've been doing that a lot lately. Or SJM got's me saying, "Jesus, Jesus Come and Squezze Us!"
photosynthesis Posted November 18, 2005 Author Posted November 18, 2005 today's dictionary.com word of the day is... bumbershoot \BUM-ber-shoot\ noun : umbrella Example sentence: As the light sprinkle gradually turned into steady rain, Uncle Winston said, "I'm glad I remembered to carry my bumbershoot!" Did you know? Umbrellas have plenty of nicknames. In Britain, "brolly" is a popular alternative to the more staid "umbrella." Sarah Gamp, a fictional nurse who toted a particularly large umbrella in Charles Dickens' novel _Martin Chuzzlewit_, has inspired some English speakers to dub oversize versions "gamps." "Bumbershoot" is a predominantly American nickname, one that has been recorded as a whimsical, slightly irreverent handle for umbrellas since the late 1890s. As with most slang terms, the origins of "bumbershoot" are a bit foggy, but it appears that the "bumber" is a modification of the "umbr-" in "umbrella" and the "shoot" is an alteration of the "-chute" in "parachute" (since an open parachute looks a little like an umbrella).
theculturewarrior Posted November 18, 2005 Posted November 18, 2005 [quote name='StColette' date='Nov 17 2005, 08:26 PM']ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! my sayings are "okie pokie" and "wondermous" lol [right][snapback]793582[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I like the word "okie," because when somebody says something like "I'm just a dumb Mexican," I can say, "Ahm just a dumm Okie!"
theculturewarrior Posted November 18, 2005 Posted November 18, 2005 [quote name='Proud2BCatholic139' date='Nov 18 2005, 02:32 PM']Plasibo Effect. (hehe!) [right][snapback]794488[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Placebo
photosynthesis Posted November 18, 2005 Author Posted November 18, 2005 this is one of my favorite weird word websites: [url="http://phrontistery.info/favourite.html"]http://phrontistery.info/favourite.html[/url] gymnosophy - contemplation performed in the nude. hagiarchy - government by saints or holy people agapetae - churchwomen who live with celibate men auto-da-fe - the burning of a heretic collegialism - theory that church is independent from the state synergism - belief that human will and divine spirit cooperate in salvation there was a period of time when I was 12 where I was addicted to William Safire's "On Language" columns and I wanted to be a lexicographer.
photosynthesis Posted November 18, 2005 Author Posted November 18, 2005 [url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/"]http://www.urbandictionary.com/[/url] is another good site
theculturewarrior Posted November 18, 2005 Posted November 18, 2005 [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Nov 18 2005, 02:56 PM'] there was a period of time when I was 12 where I was addicted to William Safire's "On Language" columns and I wanted to be a lexicographer. [right][snapback]794552[/snapback][/right] [/quote] That's COOL! I wanted to be a professor of Anglo-Saxon, like J.R.R. Tolkien. It never worked out for me though. My undergrad doesn't teach Latin or Greek, and its modern languages classes were pretty minimal when I was there.
photosynthesis Posted November 18, 2005 Author Posted November 18, 2005 [quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Nov 18 2005, 03:35 PM']That's COOL! I wanted to be a professor of Anglo-Saxon, like J.R.R. Tolkien. It never worked out for me though. My undergrad doesn't teach Latin or Greek, and its modern languages classes were pretty minimal when I was there. [right][snapback]794587[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I always wanted to take Latin... When I started college I wanted to get a Ph.D in women's studies. Now I don't and I'm gery happy about that
theculturewarrior Posted November 18, 2005 Posted November 18, 2005 Sometimes I wonder if there's anything I am capable of besides working at a reference desk. I'm pretty suited to this. (Just not the pay! )
homeschoolmom Posted November 18, 2005 Posted November 18, 2005 When I sneeze, I say, "Achooey, oooey, oooey, chop suey."
photosynthesis Posted November 18, 2005 Author Posted November 18, 2005 [quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Nov 18 2005, 05:35 PM']Sometimes I wonder if there's anything I am capable of besides working at a reference desk. I'm pretty suited to this. (Just not the pay! ) [right][snapback]794672[/snapback][/right] [/quote] You strike me as the kind of person that would make a nice TV weatherman. You could do voice-overs Sometimes is there is anything I am capable of besides fixing other peoples' computers and writing long, boring pepers. [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 18 2005, 06:00 PM']When I sneeze, I say, "Achooey, oooey, oooey, chop suey." [right][snapback]794698[/snapback][/right] [/quote] that's silly. when I sneeze, I make a high-pitched noise. and when my friend Shades sneezes, she sounds like a duck!!
Guest T-Bone Posted November 18, 2005 Posted November 18, 2005 if she sneezes like a duck, she must be made of wood, and therefore, A WITCH!!!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now