melporcristo Posted November 19, 2005 Posted November 19, 2005 [quote name='Church Punk' date='Nov 19 2005, 06:37 AM']Tomasio, Do you guys need help? I can see about getting a group of devot Chruch punks like my self to make a road trip to Ann Arbor...Only 45 mins away! But in retrospet, I would let our Lord take care of them. At the WYD in Toronto there was a group much like this planning to protest against the Catholic Church. As they were begining there hate meeting in some weird cult church in Toronto Lightning struck that very church and started raining. And what some of you may remember it rained and stromed all night until JPII began mass that Sunday, the clouds broke and it was the most amazinig day! [right][snapback]795043[/snapback][/right] [/quote] WOW ... that's intense. I'll be praying for your church. I definately think a Eucharistic Procession/group Rosary & Chaplet would be a great idea. When people have had deep devotion to these things, wars have been stopped. God bless! Melissa
Nathan Posted November 19, 2005 Posted November 19, 2005 [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Nov 19 2005, 01:55 AM']back in my militant feminist days, when people said the word "Christian," the image of Fred Phelps and his church were the first thing that would pop into my head. I honestly thought all Christians were pitchfork-waving hatemongers who would protest at Matthew Shepherd's funeral. [right][snapback]794990[/snapback][/right][/quote] That's pretty much the way I used to think in my atheist days, too. I thought all Christians were the same.
mpalasp Posted November 19, 2005 Posted November 19, 2005 This group came to Lubbock last year sometime. They were mostly protesting all of the Buddy Holly stuff around town but then they protested churches as well. I think we were told the reason they were protesting St. Elizabeths is because of the Catholic Churches hate the sin not the sinner stance. I wasnt there that week, but I heard about it.
Dreamweaver Posted November 19, 2005 Posted November 19, 2005 Here's an idea....make huge banners and hold them up high to block their disgusting placards from the street and parishoners. Also get a bunch of people to say the rosary to block out their screams and words of hate.
tojo Posted November 19, 2005 Author Posted November 19, 2005 [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Nov 19 2005, 01:55 AM']back in my militant feminist days, when people said the word "Christian," the image of Fred Phelps and his church were the first thing that would pop into my head. I honestly thought all Christians were pitchfork-waving hatemongers who would protest at Matthew Shepherd's funeral. [right][snapback]794990[/snapback][/right] [/quote] [quote name='Nathan' date='Nov 19 2005, 10:24 AM']That's pretty much the way I used to think in my atheist days, too. I thought all Christians were the same. [right][snapback]795065[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I believe that's why we're not being allowed to demonstrate in response, we don't want to look anything like them. [quote name='mpalasp' date='Nov 19 2005, 10:34 AM']This group came to Lubbock last year sometime. They were mostly protesting all of the Buddy Holly stuff around town but then they protested churches as well. I think we were told the reason they were protesting St. Elizabeths is because of the Catholic Churches hate the sin not the sinner stance. I wasnt there that week, but I heard about it. [right][snapback]795068[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Yeah, I suppose that could be why also. I'm pretty sure all the other churches they're protesting are rather downright homosexuality-affirming. [quote name='Dreamweaver' date='Nov 19 2005, 11:32 AM']Here's an idea....make huge banners and hold them up high to block their disgusting placards from the street and parishoners. Also get a bunch of people to say the rosary to block out their screams and words of hate. [right][snapback]795100[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Once again, cool ideas, but we can't do anything outside, There is always a rosary group meeting between masses inside the church at that time already though.
homeschoolmom Posted November 19, 2005 Posted November 19, 2005 [quote name='mpalasp' date='Nov 19 2005, 10:34 AM']This group came to Lubbock last year sometime. They were mostly protesting all of the Buddy Holly stuff around town but then they protested churches as well. I think we were told the reason they were protesting St. Elizabeths is because of the Catholic Churches hate the sin not the sinner stance. I wasnt there that week, but I heard about it. [right][snapback]795068[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Sorry, that's funny. Buddy Holly's been dead for over 45 years... his career spanned something like two years... and we are still hatin' him... It's nice to see hate groups branch out a little...
tojo Posted November 19, 2005 Author Posted November 19, 2005 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 19 2005, 12:39 PM'] Sorry, that's funny. Buddy Holly's been dead for over 45 years... his career spanned something like two years... and we are still hatin' him... It's nice to see hate groups branch out a little... [right][snapback]795122[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I've hardly even heard the name! Who is he?
homeschoolmom Posted November 19, 2005 Posted November 19, 2005 [img]http://www.nndb.com/people/937/000031844/buddy-holly-crop.jpg[/img] Buddy Holly and the Crickets... they sang, "Peggy Sue" and a bunch of other stuff... He died in a plane crash...
tojo Posted November 19, 2005 Author Posted November 19, 2005 And Fundie-extremists hate him for why?
tojo Posted November 19, 2005 Author Posted November 19, 2005 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 19 2005, 12:52 PM']Well... he was a rock and roller... [right][snapback]795144[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Okay.... Crazy Fundie-extremists.... back to the original thread-focus.
Spiritual_Arsonist Posted November 19, 2005 Posted November 19, 2005 A few of my brother seminarians are from Christ the King in Ann Arbor. Let us pray that peace and truth will prevail.
NewReformation Posted November 19, 2005 Posted November 19, 2005 Ahhhh...lucky you. They can to my town back in June or July. The protested outside of several churches, and the Dover Air Force Base(holding up signs that said "Thank God for IED's[improvised explosive devices, ie, suicide bombers]). They hate everybody, gay folks, catholics, lutherans. Wait 'till they bust out the "Pope In Hell" sign.
tojo Posted November 19, 2005 Author Posted November 19, 2005 Apparently, this is the way they make money. They generate controvesry in hopes of gaining grounds to sue people, at least this is what I heard....
Church Punk Posted November 19, 2005 Posted November 19, 2005 Like I said let the Lord take care of them... If you guys go about your buisness of Worship as it is ment, and dont let them get to you, they will only make them selfs look like geniuses. The Church is not going to change anything, we already know they are Protestant! and everyone already knows they are crazy. Their actions will judge them selfs. Like what are they trying to accomplish here. They obvisoly know nothing of the Catholic Church and nothing of the Mass. If their plan is to interupt a mass and stop it, they should have done their homework, the Priest can not stop mass once it has begun! Anyway Let me know how everything works out. I am sure everything will be OK
Socrates Posted November 19, 2005 Posted November 19, 2005 [quote name='Nathan' date='Nov 18 2005, 09:08 PM']If they were protesting in front of my parish, I would. [right][snapback]794772[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Not saying you or any of the other people who posted here wouldn't, but we'd probably see a bunch of other folks cut in preaching "peace" and "tolerance," etc.
Socrates Posted November 19, 2005 Posted November 19, 2005 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 19 2005, 12:48 PM'][img]http://www.nndb.com/people/937/000031844/buddy-holly-crop.jpg[/img] Buddy Holly and the Crickets... they sang, "Peggy Sue" and a bunch of other stuff... He died in a plane crash... [right][snapback]795138[/snapback][/right] [/quote] He died in 1959! ("The day the music died . . . ") You can tell by looking that guy was pure evil! It's hilarious how those cult guys are apparently still stuck in the fifties. You'd think they'd find plenty more serious stuff to protest in this day and age! (On to Graceland!) (And Buddy Holly was one of the more wholesome rock'n'rollers, even in the '50s) "Oh, oh, oh, I look just like Buddy Holly!" ~ [i]Buddy Holly[/i], by Weezer
homeschoolmom Posted November 19, 2005 Posted November 19, 2005 Yeah... I was going to mention "the day the music died" but I thought it would make me feel REALLY old when someone mentioned that Madonna sang that song... ("American Pie" by Don Mclean)
photosynthesis Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 According to the Westboro Baptist Church website, the Catholic Church is listed as a "f*g church" because we allow homosexuals to be members, and there are ordained non-practicing homosexuals. also, it seems like another reason they would protest a Catholic Church is because of the priest abuse scandal. They claim that 'priests rape boys." As horrible and offensive as this is, I am starting to think protesting back at them is only going to make it worse. I think it would be better to have a silent prayer vigil... God is going to judge them on the last day.
Aloysius Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 I wouldn't want to protest back at them, I would want to chase them off of sacred ground with whips like Christ did.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now