An Old School Catholic Message Board

Marriage

daugher-of-Mary

franciscanheart

well this thread kinda took an unexpected turn (at least for me)....

marriage is so awesome. right now im falling in love even more deeply with Christ and i think it would be absolutely amazing to share that with someone else and to raise saints. how great!

I've got to make mention of some of the awesomest married people ever: Louis Martin, and his wife, Azelie-Marie Guerin. These two gave all their children, five daughters, to the Church in religious life. And they gave us a doctor of the Church, St. Therese!

I understand that both Louis and Azelie-Marie are "Venerable Servants of God," and their causes for beatification are on-going.

Holy marriages are [i][b]powerful[/b][/i]!!!

franciscanheart

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Nov 28 2005, 07:27 PM']They should be patron saints of Holy Matrimony
[right][snapback]802977[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:drool: oh yes...

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Nov 29 2005, 01:27 PM']They should be patron saints of Holy Matrimony
[right][snapback]802977[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well there are patron saints for:
brides
bridegrooms
new mothers
pregnant women
newly married couples....

Is that what you mean? Look up St Gerard Majella, St Elizabeth of Hungary, St Gianna :love: and those sorts of ones. There are plenty out there!!!! Don't worry :)

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Nov 25 2005, 06:53 PM']I disagree. They aren't "experts" any more than you or I.
They are people who have chosen a particular way to follow Jesus.
But that doesn't make them "experts."

While I believe that Priests do have an "UP" being that the are priests, still they are human.  So how does the "expert" status apply?
[/quote]

It is their field of expertise, it is what they studied. They spend more time praying and studying salvation and the likes and actually living it than the average lay person.

If somone is a plumber, does it mean they know more about plumbing than me? Of course not... if he's a bad plumber I might know more... but when my toilet backs up, I'll call a plumber if I don't know what to do. Why would that be?

A doctor is human, so how does the term 'expert' apply to him?

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Nov 25 2005, 06:53 PM']
This is the belief that I was raised with. And it isn't true.  Religious can and have gone to hell "as easily" as lay people.  I don't automatically give respect because of someone's lifestyle. Respect has to be earned.

[/quote]

I never said they don't go to hell now did I?

If you graduate high school... you've earned a bit of respect wouldn't you say? If you get ordained a priest, you've also earned a bit of respect wouldn't agree? waht would that respect be?

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Nov 25 2005, 06:53 PM']There is a Sister I know of who has the hair and the nails  done monthly. Wears earings and  three gold chains.  The watch is solid gold. And the apartment is CRAMMED  with knick-knacks.  Oh yes, and makeup. Why?
Jesus knows what she looks like. Who is she dressing for?

Nope, I don't think so.  Not when I have met Married couples who REEK (sorry that is the best word to get my point across) Jesus.  One of the couples I have in mind were my Grandparents.
[/quote]

Don't throw away the basket just for one rotten apple. Come-on... *whispers* you almost sound prejudice against religious people.

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Nov 25 2005, 06:53 PM']ps.  My watch came from WalMart and cost $21.00  and I don't wear makeup.
[right][snapback]800330[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

My watch was a gift, and it broke a few weeks ago and I can't afford to fix it or buy another one.

I don't wear any make-up either.

A friend of mine read a document to me written in 1968 about how priests and bishops need to encourage holy couples and the vocation and sanctity of marriage. I don't think I can really ever recall a priest or bishop doing that other than at a wedding which is kindof after the fact.

franciscanheart

haha seriously. i wish more of our youth would be encouraged to be saints and to raise saints if their vocation is marriage. i was lucky to have a really great youth minister to start out with but i know not everyone was or is as lucky.

[quote name='Didacus' date='Nov 29 2005, 07:27 AM'] Come-on... *whispers* you almost sound prejudice against religious people.
[right][snapback]803714[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I find this amusing. :P: I am a "religious person."
I think Jesus put it best when he referred to some people as
"white washed tombs." I was not raised to turn a blind eye towards a certain segment of society because they have chosen a particular lifestyle.

I have noticed something interesting not only on this site but others as well. That would be the PREVALENCE we seem to have towards one another to speak as though we know each other.

The above comment would have been better handled thru a PM.

daugher-of-Mary

I'm sorry. I didn't mean for this to turn into a debate! :ohno: Somebody already gave us what the Church teaches...let's leave it at that, and continue our discussion of "sweet mawiage!"

"O Mary, into your maternal hands I place myself and I abandon myself completely, sure of obtaining whatever I ask of you. I trust in you because you are the sweet Mother, I confide in you because you are the Mother of Jesus. In this trust I place myself, sure of being heard in everything; with this trust in my heart I greet you, " my Mother, my trust", I devote myself entirely to you; keep me and defend me, O sweet Mary, and in every instant of my life, present me to your Son, jesus." St. Gianna :D:

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Nov 30 2005, 05:16 AM']I'm sorry. I didn't mean for this to turn into a debate!  :ohno: 
[right][snapback]805059[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I am not debating. I am responding to what I feel was an unnecessary personal comment. I am not going to be "attacked" for my beliefs and not defend myself.
Again, part of the problem here is "familiarity."
I am not comfortable with it, I was not raised that way.

If something "personal" needs to be said a PM should be used.
THANK YOU.

franciscanheart

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Nov 30 2005, 05:16 AM']I'm sorry. I didn't mean for this to turn into a debate!  :ohno: Somebody already gave us what the Church teaches...let's leave it at that, and continue our discussion of "sweet mawiage!"

"O Mary, into your maternal hands I place myself and I abandon myself completely, sure of obtaining whatever I ask of you. I trust in you because you are the sweet Mother, I confide in you because you are the Mother of Jesus. In this trust I place myself, sure of being heard in everything; with this trust in my heart I greet you, " my Mother, my trust", I devote myself entirely to you; keep me and defend me, O sweet Mary, and in every instant of my life, present me to your Son, jesus." St. Gianna  :D:
[right][snapback]805059[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:love:

marriage is a beautiful thing. like daugherofmary (heh - no t) said... someone has provided what the church teaches and further debate (or "defense of personal beliefs") should be moved elsewhere. this thread should be respectful of all and honor marriage for what it is - a very noble and beautiful thing.

side note: my prayer buddy is way too cool for words. :twothumbsup:

franciscanheart

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Nov 30 2005, 03:51 PM']vocation buddy...this is completely off topic, but did you get my "turkey email"? hehe.

ok, resume conversation!
[right][snapback]805757[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:hijack:

yeah i did! i forgot to reply (oops sorry!!) thanks so much! that was so much fun! hehe.

okay end hijack.....

:clapping: marriage is happy.