voiciblanche Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 Hey, everyone! I have a paper for school and I need to interview people of different age groups. I will love you forever and include you in my prayer intentions if you [i]please[/i] answer the following questions: a. Who's your hero(es)? b. What qualities do you look for in a hero? That's it. Please answer them if you have a moment, and leave your [b]age[/b] as well. Thanks a bunch! God bless, Amber
homeschoolmom Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 Well, I don't have an answer for you, Amber, but I have an anticdote... When I was about your age, we had to ask our parents who they had admired when they were in ninth grade. Everybody reported that their moms had liked Paul McCartney or John Lennon or Elvis... I had to report that my mom couldn't think of anyone, but then finally said "Eleanor Roosevelt." NOT as cool as Elvis, to be sure. I guess I would say that Mother Teresa was a hero. She took the Gospel to the people that needed to hear it the most. She was wonderful... She didn't take carp from anyone. ... and I'm 37
Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 20 2005, 04:01 PM']I guess I would say that Mother Teresa was a hero. She took the Gospel to the people that needed to hear it the most. She was wonderful... She didn't take carp from anyone. ... and I'm 37 [right][snapback]795842[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Amber, be sure to quote her as saying "c-a-r-p." If you must paraphrase, be certain to mention that the interviewee was randomly inserting fish breeds into her answer. I suppose my hero is the goose that traumatized James. I just hope I get the chance to thank him sometime. Okay, seriously...my hero is Jesus. Seriously. Can you imagine someone any more heroic than a Person who humbles Himself infinitely even to the point of death and would do it just for you? I'm 21.
homeschoolmom Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 [quote name='Raphael' date='Nov 20 2005, 03:16 PM']I suppose my hero is the goose that traumatized James. I just hope I get the chance to thank him sometime. [right][snapback]795860[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Am I HERRING you correctly? Oh my COD!!! That's SUNNY...
voiciblanche Posted November 20, 2005 Author Posted November 20, 2005 You two are hilarious. Thanks so much, and, HSMom, you're never gonna believe this, but your anecdote actually helps with half the age groups.
ofpheritup Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 I have two answers for you. The first is my Grandfather, he died in 1979 but his influence guides and helps me make decisions to this day. 1) He "belonged" to God, everything he did was dedicated to God for the day. He didn't just say the Morning Offering, he became it. They weren't just words to him. Part of this was because he was a Third Order Carmelite. 2) Good Enough was NEVER accepted. He didn't care for the expression. He felt it was a cop-out. He said "good enough" was only acceptable if you weren't his grandchild. Which left us with no "out." 3) Everyone was treated the same......really. He knew everyone where he lived, wherevever he lived. I saw him speak to the Mayor with the same graciousness as he would a "street sweeper." There was no difference. 4) He told the truth. You may not like it but he loved you enough to tell it to you. Sometimes there was the "hand holding oh poor baby" sometimes not. But it was going to get told. 5) He had a sense of humor. He loved to laugh. He taught me how to hug a tree. Ya' didn't know there was an art to it? i blow bubbles and fly kites today because of him. 6) Today because of him I am a "periscope." He taught us that once you walked out that door, you LOOKED for ways to serve. Hold a door, smile, listen, whatever, be prepared to do for someone. And if at the end of the day you realized you hadn't done anything for anyone he said "back out. find someone. No bed until you do." And I have done just that. 7) He had a heart to serve he was a cop in Philadelphia for 35 years. His last few years he was a Captain. His men "loved" him. He was a spare "father" to those who didn't have one. Which is a nice seque into my next "set of heroes." COPS. You can comment for good or evil as much as you want. (I don't want to hear it.) Everyday in ways we will probably never know they put their lives on the line. To me that is the one of the definitions of hero. I am 48....
voiciblanche Posted November 20, 2005 Author Posted November 20, 2005 Wow. That was amazing. Thanks a lot.
megrc Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 Honestly, I would have to say my mother. She has been through so much in her life, and has always been there for me so far. She has always been the rock that I could lean on, she has also been my best friend and stood up for me with my step-dad. Her first marriage was a disaster and ended in divorce, but she insisted that I go see my dad everytime we had the money to send me. They scrapped together the money to send me to see my dad when he was dying, even though we didn't have the money. She has always pushed me to do better, but never so hard that I felt too over-whelmed by anything. She has always been there for me during bad relationships, heart breaks, and every other normal teenaged disaster. Everytime I hear the song "He Didn't Have to Be" by Brad Paisley, I think of my mother because she has done so much more for me than I have ever deserved. I just hope that I can do the same things for my kids whenever I have a family. I'm 21.
Totus Tuus Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 [b]a. Who's your hero(es)?[/b] Superman [b]b. What qualities do you look for in a hero?[/b] Willing to jump off a building to save me even if he doesn't have the ability to fly. But I don't know if you wanted a more serious answer....
homeschoolmom Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 [quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Nov 20 2005, 04:01 PM'][b]a. Who's your hero(es)?[/b] Superman [b]b. What qualities do you look for in a hero?[/b] Willing to jump off a building to save me even if he doesn't have the ability to fly. But I don't know if you wanted a more serious answer.... [right][snapback]795884[/snapback][/right] [/quote] But Superman does have the ability to fly. I was explaing why Superman had all of these powers to my six year old the other day.
Seven77 Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 (edited) a. My hero is Jesus and i want to be just like him.. today on the Solemnity of Christ i see that to serve is to reign.. love is the cross.. he shows me what it is to be a man.. b. victorious "underdog", courage, virtue, true strength i'm 28. Viva Cristo Rey! Edited November 20, 2005 by Seven77
Era Might Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 Age: 20 Heroes: My mother, St. John of the Cross, Pope Benedict XVI Look for: Redemption, courage, heroic virtue, trials, unique individuals
journeyman Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 [quote name='voiciblanche' date='Nov 20 2005, 02:45 PM']Hey, everyone! I have a paper for school and I need to interview people of different age groups. I will love you forever and include you in my prayer intentions if you [i]please[/i] answer the following questions: a. Who's your hero(es)? b. What qualities do you look for in a hero? That's it. Please answer them if you have a moment, and leave your [b]age[/b] as well. Thanks a bunch! God bless, Amber [right][snapback]795829[/snapback][/right] [/quote] a. Who's your hero(es)? b. What qualities do you look for in a hero? Do I dare admit that as I get older, I change my mind? When I was 20 - Woodward and Bernstein (the reporters who reported on the Watergate break-in and cover-up) were among my heroes because I wanted to be a journalist, they didn't just give up on the story, they kept digging away, they didn't say "oh, the President would never do that" . . . persistence, truth seeking, hang the consequences, full speed ahead By the time I was 40 - Richard Nixon had worked his way back onto my list of heroes - because despite his public disgrace, he went back to work, and re-established himself as a credible public figure . . . again persistence was a factor in my admiration and Woodward and Bernstein had fallen off their pedestal when they sold out for the book rights, movie rights, and turned into commentators instead of reporters There are a number of others . . . but many of them share the characteristic of persistence, single minded attention to the task, regardless of the obstacles, I admire people who accomplish things and I'm 51
curtins Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 id say my hero is pope John paull II but like my hero hero like superhero hero like hero is Jesus.
Guest T-Bone Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 My hero: I have none Reason: Everyone disapoints in the end, either through their personal weakness or malicious intent.
toledo_jesus Posted November 21, 2005 Posted November 21, 2005 [quote name='T-Bone' date='Nov 20 2005, 06:43 PM']My hero: I have none Reason: Everyone disapoints in the end, either through their personal weakness or malicious intent. [right][snapback]796062[/snapback][/right] [/quote] nice! As far as heroes go, I would say Charles Martel for stopping the Muslims at Tours. age 21
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus Posted November 21, 2005 Posted November 21, 2005 my heros are Jesus Christ anyone who stands up for truth
musturde Posted November 21, 2005 Posted November 21, 2005 My heroes: Jesus, Mary, all the saints, Samir Geagea, Bachir Gemayel, my aunt, my mom, anyone who's been led to abort an "unwanted child" but chose to keep it, anyone who's suffered for their beliefs, and anyone who's not afraid to express their beliefs but still accepts others.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 21, 2005 Posted November 21, 2005 By the way, I can't believe you're only a freshman!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now