the_rev Posted November 21, 2005 Posted November 21, 2005 MILWAUKEE Three women who allege they were sexually abused by nuns planned to hand out flyers this morning to parishioners after Mass at St. John Cathedral in Milwaukee. The women are members of the group called SNAP, or Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests. The group is urging others who have been abused by nuns to come forward. It is also calling on Archbishop Timothy Dolan to order the superiors of religious orders of the archdiocese to report all information of abuse no matter when the incidents took place. Dolan is to meet with the superiors on tomorrow morning.
avemaria40 Posted November 21, 2005 Posted November 21, 2005 I hope these women are lying, i really do
Era Might Posted November 21, 2005 Posted November 21, 2005 What makes you say it's a bunch of crock?
cmotherofpirl Posted November 21, 2005 Posted November 21, 2005 [quote name='the_rev' date='Nov 21 2005, 06:41 PM']MILWAUKEE Three women who allege they were sexually abused by nuns planned to hand out flyers this morning to parishioners after Mass at St. John Cathedral in Milwaukee. The women are members of the group called SNAP, or Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests. The group is urging others who have been abused by nuns to come forward. It is also calling on Archbishop Timothy Dolan to order the superiors of religious orders of the archdiocese to report all information of abuse no matter when the incidents took place. Dolan is to meet with the superiors on tomorrow morning. [right][snapback]797027[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I know this is your emotional response, but logic dictates women can be abusers the same as men. If mothers can abuse their children, why couldn't nuns in some way abuse their pupils. When I was in school in the sixties, my mother had a lay teacher fired for child abuse.
Theoketos Posted November 21, 2005 Posted November 21, 2005 I hope that no one was abused, but I hope that these woman are not lying either. And yes, we should ecourage those who have been harmed by the Church to come into the light so that I a process of healing can begin.
homeschoolmom Posted November 21, 2005 Posted November 21, 2005 [quote name='Era Might' date='Nov 21 2005, 06:03 PM']What makes you say it's a bunch of crock? [right][snapback]797051[/snapback][/right] [/quote] That's what I was thinking... I hope it is, but we can't just assume it is because we don't like it...
Nathan Posted November 21, 2005 Posted November 21, 2005 They probably got the strap by a mean nun in elementary school or something, back when everybody got the strap.
Era Might Posted November 21, 2005 Posted November 21, 2005 [quote name='Nathan' date='Nov 21 2005, 07:33 PM']They probably got the strap by a mean nun in elementary school or something, back when everybody got the strap. [right][snapback]797075[/snapback][/right] [/quote] [quote]Three women who allege they were [b]sexually[/b] abused by nuns planned to hand out flyers this morning to parishioners after Mass at St. John Cathedral in Milwaukee.[/quote] Unfortunately, we can't give Priests and Nuns the benefit of the doubt these days.
AlterDominicus Posted November 22, 2005 Posted November 22, 2005 [quote name='the_rev' date='Nov 21 2005, 05:41 PM']MILWAUKEE Three women who allege they were sexually abused by nuns planned to hand out flyers this morning to parishioners after Mass at St. John Cathedral in Milwaukee. The women are members of the group called SNAP, or Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests. The group is urging others who have been abused by nuns to come forward. It is also calling on Archbishop Timothy Dolan to order the superiors of religious orders of the archdiocese to report all information of abuse no matter when the incidents took place. Dolan is to meet with the superiors on tomorrow morning. [right][snapback]797027[/snapback][/right] [/quote] :bugeyes:
jezic Posted November 22, 2005 Posted November 22, 2005 [quote name='Era Might' date='Nov 21 2005, 06:35 PM']Unfortunately, we can't give Priests and Nuns the benefit of the doubt these days. [right][snapback]797079[/snapback][/right] [/quote] why not?
tojo Posted November 22, 2005 Posted November 22, 2005 Lord make it stop, Jesus make it stop, Lord make it stop.
Nathan Posted November 22, 2005 Posted November 22, 2005 [quote name='tomasio127' date='Nov 21 2005, 10:10 PM']Lord make it stop, Jesus make it stop, Lord make it stop. [right][snapback]797264[/snapback][/right] [/quote] It's like you're in a horror movie or something, Tomasio. Not that I blame you for feeling that way.
StMichael Posted November 22, 2005 Posted November 22, 2005 Needen't fear. Yes, the Church has been invaded by Satan and he gained access through the Seminaries. Sadly, the interpretation of Vatican II here made that possible. But Pope Benedict has come to the rescue and his delegate visiting the US, will clean our Churches of this scourge. So many men called to the Priesthood, over the last 40 years, were turned away because of what was taking place inside and in some cases their faith left with them. Pray hard and pray often that it is stamped out and the remaining good men and women are able to devote their lives to Christ without the sins of the evil that has passed.
beatty07 Posted November 22, 2005 Posted November 22, 2005 [quote name='StMichael' date='Nov 21 2005, 11:45 PM']Needen't fear. Yes, the Church has been invaded by Satan and he gained access through the Seminaries. Sadly, the interpretation of Vatican II here made that possible. But Pope Benedict has come to the rescue and his delegate visiting the US, will clean our Churches of this scourge. [right][snapback]797294[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Is that coming from exhaustive and certain knowledge? Because it seems like a pretty tempting simplification. Having been through the Apostolic Visitation in November, I get a little worried when people talk about it like the great solution to all our problems. First of all, the seminaries are pretty good. How they were before I don't know, but it would seem that the reality was somewhere between perfection and Michael Rose conspiracy theory. Secondly, the visitation is an extremely blunt instrument. It is not equipped to detect subtlies, positive or negative. It is not equipped well to discover anything but the superficial. I could go on and on about this if anybody cared what I thought... Man this stuff is depressing. It seems like there's just no end to it.
tojo Posted November 22, 2005 Posted November 22, 2005 (edited) [quote name='Nathan' date='Nov 21 2005, 10:14 PM']It's like you're in a horror movie or something, Tomasio. Not that I blame you for feeling that way. [right][snapback]797267[/snapback][/right] [/quote] That was rather how I'm feeling. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us..... Edited November 22, 2005 by tomasio127
CatholicCid Posted November 22, 2005 Posted November 22, 2005 (edited) I dunno... It just seems like this to me: Anti-Catholic: All those women cut off from society must be abusing others sexually and physically! That's why they're cut off! Later... Catholic: Maybe we should limit allowing men with SSM into the seminaries as they would be faced with direct temptations because they'll be living with other men, ect... Anti-Catholic: NONSENSE! That'd never happen! Homophobe! Yay double standards! Too bad they don't give a general idea of what happen... In today's society you can't say "You look nice" without worrying about sexual harrasment suits Edited November 22, 2005 by CatholicCid
Aloysius Posted November 22, 2005 Posted November 22, 2005 [quote name='Era Might' date='Nov 21 2005, 07:35 PM']Unfortunately, we can't give Priests and Nuns the benefit of the doubt these days. [right][snapback]797079[/snapback][/right] [/quote] and why the heck not? we should give about 98.2% of priests the benefit of the doubt AT LEAST. the other 1.8% are merely accused, and assumed guilty by anti-Catholic prejudice of course.... We should be more mistrusting of schoolteachers. we should be more mistrusting of any american adult, the rate of sexual abuse among priests is far lower than that of the general population. it's a sad day when we declare we can't give priests the benefit of the doubt. certainly investigate, but we should continue to be more likely to believe the allegations are false than that they are true.
Guest Rick777 Posted November 22, 2005 Posted November 22, 2005 this is sad but shouldnt be called a bunch of crock it is still under investigation
photosynthesis Posted November 22, 2005 Posted November 22, 2005 Abuse does WEIRD things to people. If these women were abused, I would understand why they would be angry, and why they would hand out fliers. I was abused in an institution and I am angry at institutions. I think I'd be crazy not to be angry. If it is true that these nuns were abusing children, then they deserve whatever humiliation and punishment they get. It's a sin and it's a crime, and tolerating abuse only perpetuates the abuse. The Church must be purged of people like this so that they may repent.
StMichael Posted November 22, 2005 Posted November 22, 2005 I'm far from exhausted, more disgusted and I do not have certain knowledge. Apparently in many seminaries over the past 40 years, things taking place were way less than Godly. Upon inspection everything was hidden and some had a room called the pink room where the unsaid took place. Furthermore, this is not just something that took place here in the US, but in Europe as well, thus the heightened no homosexual allowed to the priesthood. Pope Benedict is doing more about ridding our seminaries of this disease than had been done prior. I have faith that in my lifetime a priest will be seen as a man of Christ, once again, and not depicted as some homosexual predator. [quote name='beatty07' date='Nov 21 2005, 10:58 PM']Is that coming from exhaustive and certain knowledge? Because it seems like a pretty tempting simplification. Having been through the Apostolic Visitation in November, I get a little worried when people talk about it like the great solution to all our problems. First of all, the seminaries are pretty good. How they were before I don't know, but it would seem that the reality was somewhere between perfection and Michael Rose conspiracy theory. Secondly, the visitation is an extremely blunt instrument. It is not equipped to detect subtlies, positive or negative. It is not equipped well to discover anything but the superficial. I could go on and on about this if anybody cared what I thought... Man this stuff is depressing. It seems like there's just no end to it. [right][snapback]797308[/snapback][/right] [/quote]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now