Sojourner Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 [img]http://www.iwojima.com/images/main_small.gif[/img]
journeyman Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 it's the original, and not the statute in Virginia
Socrates Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 Every American should know what this picture is of!
philothea Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 Voted "I think so, but I'm not sure" (but I would say that about almost anything). I was correct, though.
photosynthesis Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 (edited) I slept through most of history class... except for my sophomore year where my teacher was a vietnam vet with post traumatic stress disorder, and the students would terrorize him by picking up desks and chairs and dropping them, and the teacher would get down under his desk and go "GET DOWN! GET DOWN BOYS! THE ENEMY IS HERE!" and then for 15 minutes class would be suspended because the poor guy thought he was still in vietnam. you just can't sleep through stuff like that. Edited November 25, 2005 by photosynthesis
benedictaj Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 (edited) [quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 25 2005, 06:07 PM']Every American should know what this picture is of! [right][snapback]799955[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I don't know what it is.... [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Nov 25 2005, 08:11 PM']I slept through most of history class... except for my sophomore year where my teacher was a vietnam vet with post traumatic stress disorder, and the students would terrorize him by picking up desks and chairs and dropping them, and the teacher would get down under his desk and go "GET DOWN! GET DOWN BOYS! THE ENEMY IS HERE!" and then for 15 minutes class would be suspended because the poor guy thought he was still in vietnam. you just can't sleep through stuff like that. [right][snapback]800009[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Thats horrible! How did they get away with that?! Edited November 25, 2005 by memtherose
ReinnieR Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 i know what that is and i was born in the philippines then again i'm military
Didacus Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 I iknow what it is, and I'm Canadien, and I'm not military. But then again, I am a little older than the average around here. FACT: This picture was posed, and not spontaneous as many believe.
cmotherofpirl Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 Last night was Jay Lenos miltary thanksgiving show and he did a jaywalking segment. Those people did NOT know. I have a pic of the statue.
Church Punk Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 Well I know this picture and I am not even American!
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 you right also they were putting up a different flag for some time after they had conquered the island.
homeschoolmom Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Nov 25 2005, 08:20 AM']Last night was Jay Lenos miltary thanksgiving show and he did a jaywalking segment. Those people did NOT know. I have a pic of the statue. [right][snapback]800035[/snapback][/right] [/quote] That's what inspired this thread... We were sitting around watching it-- not at all surprised at the lack of knowledge of the "All Stars" thinking that a lot of people probably didn't know that one. (HSdad, Sojourner and I all knew, of course. )
cmotherofpirl Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 My kids were howling, but my sons GF did NOT know!!!!!!! {That is a bad sign. ]
Linda Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 [quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 25 2005, 07:07 AM']Every American should know what this picture is of! [right][snapback]799955[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Then it is good that I'm not an american, else it would be really embarising
homeschoolmom Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 [quote]my sons GF did NOT know!!!!!!! [/quote] Maybe she could be a jaywalker...
cmotherofpirl Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 [quote name='Linda' date='Nov 25 2005, 10:16 AM']Then it is good that I'm not an american, else it would be really embarising [right][snapback]800057[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Welcome to Phatmass
Sojourner Posted November 25, 2005 Author Posted November 25, 2005 Iwo Jima. A quick google search should fill you in on the details.
avemaria40 Posted November 25, 2005 Posted November 25, 2005 I knew it had to do with WW2 but I mistakenly thought it was D-Day for some reason. Maybe I had Saving Private Ryan on the brain
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now