Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='ninjakyle' date='Nov 30 2005, 07:47 PM']so dave, what you are saying is you don't think that they are Catholic?
[right][snapback]806348[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol:

Posted

[quote name='davefromcm' date='Nov 30 2005, 04:55 PM']Hate to harp on this but why do we keep looking at Christian rock groups or secular rock groups and speculate on whether they are Catholic?  We got lots of groups who are distinctly Catholic that need help getting the word out there.  The people here at Phatmass could really help spread the word!

It seems like so many Catholics try so hard looking for Catholicism in the music that they listen to, as if they are trying to justify listening to those artists.  In the meantime, they are missing great Catholic bands who are arguably as good as the bands that they are listening to.

Dave
[right][snapback]806112[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

THERE'S MY NEW SIGNATURE!!!!

AMEN!!!

Posted

I guess what I am saying is that it doesn't matter. I am pretty sure that the Christian rock bands mentioned do not have Catholic members. However, even if they do, they are not making it a priority to talk about it. One can question whether the secular artists are practicing Catholics but that also is immaterial. Their music doesn't have a Catholic message to it...

Dave

[quote name='ninjakyle' date='Nov 30 2005, 09:47 PM']so dave, what you are saying is you don't think that they are Catholic?
[right][snapback]806348[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Posted

Couldn't have said it better MEself...

Besides...calling yourself "Catholic" doesn't really mean too much...

I'd rather support a Christian band full of Protestants than a secular band who may have a negative message that claims they're Catholic.

SUPPORT THE MESSAGE!!!

Posted

i was just teasin dave
i agree with you and inDEED both

I just wish that blues traveler was Catholic . . . I mean, they talk about prayer in Hook . . . "I wouldn't want to take you when I say I have this prayer to pray, that's really all this was..."

come on!

If only there were a Canadian Catholic Rock band that spelled color "c-o-l-o-u-r"

That would be awesome

oh well...

Posted

[quote name='ninjakyle' date='Dec 1 2005, 10:57 AM']i was just teasin dave
i agree with you and inDEED both

I just wish that blues traveler was Catholic . . . I mean, they talk about prayer in Hook . . .  "I wouldn't want to take you when I say I have this prayer to pray, that's really all this was..."

come on!

If only there were a Canadian Catholic Rock band that spelled color "c-o-l-o-u-r"

That would be awesome

oh well...
[right][snapback]807014[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

Posted

Well, being from Canada, all I can say is that Critical Mass is very colourful and try to bring flavour to this world by modelling ourselves after the Pope... what do you think, eh? If you like us, buy a CD and send us a cheque.

Everyone, wear a toque and have a beer... think Canadian...

Dave
[quote name='ninjakyle' date='Dec 1 2005, 12:57 PM']i was just teasin dave
i agree with you and inDEED both

I just wish that blues traveler was Catholic . . . I mean, they talk about prayer in Hook . . .  "I wouldn't want to take you when I say I have this prayer to pray, that's really all this was..."

come on!

If only there were a Canadian Catholic Rock band that spelled color "c-o-l-o-u-r"

That would be awesome

oh well...
[right][snapback]807014[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Posted

[img]http://www.funnytimes.com/store/images/canada.jpg[/img]

Posted

[img]http://www.erikssonstunnbrod.se/max/brew.jpg[/img]

My prayers have been answered
I am going to tell everyone to check out
[url="http://www.catholicrock.com"]this website[/url]

Posted

Canada is just a sinister plot for world domination...their plan: lie low for 180 or so years and BAM! :fishslap: When you least expect it, they'll go for your throat!

Posted

Who is me or what r u talking about?

photosynthesis
Posted

I like praise + worship music and some contemporary Christian bands... when they have talent. There's a lot of talentless schlock out there that people call "music." I don't like my local Christian radio station because all they ever play is schlock, but I like Switchfoot and some Jars of Clay and P + W and some other stuff like that

I am more into classsical church music right now and less into pop music

Posted

There's a band from Chicago called "O My God" that seems Catholic. They don't sing about God, but they do sing about the "brauty of servitude" and the "obligation of joy", two themes that have a very Catholic identity.

As for Jars of Clay, when I was a Rock for Life chapter leader, we used to write letters to them asking if they were pro-life, but they'd never return. They haven't even taken a stand from the national RFL office. A Christian band that won't take a stand against abortion doesn't seem very Christian.

I think the problem with many of the Catholic bands out there (in comparison to secular) is that A) there are few original hooks in the songs. (This is my dislike with Christian music as a whole, everything sounds very obviously borrowed from another sng that was popular the year before the Christian version came out) B) there isn't a whole lot of money so the albums are very low budget sounding, C) They seem to spend so much time rying to lead worship with their music that it's hard to just enjoy it as music.
Maybe I've only heard Catholic praise and worship based bands and jam bands, but I wasn't too keen on either. If a Catholic band came out with an album that was as passionate, loud, well written, and well produced as the Foo Fighters, then yeah, I'd listen.

One more thing (I promise). It seems difficult to write a song with Catholic roots when we use words like "transubstantiation", "sacraments", "sacrifice", etc. words that sometimes feel as though they are forced into a space or rhythm.

That's my two cents.

Posted

Does a Catholic rock band have to always sing directly about jesus or the lyrics worship him or is it good to sing about concepts that are identified with Catholicism like joy and suffering with joy, chastity, charity, mercy, etc.?

Posted

The way I see it, Catholic music doesn't have to directly limit itself to lyrical content only concerning worship or other subjects such as chastity or joy...etc, even though that is what I think of when I hear the term "Catholic music". I think that it can be about daily life and the struggles and hardships that accompany it, but realizing that there's value found in living a virtuous life...

It doesn't even have to directly involve the Catholic fath even being mentioned, but more of a positive outlook that can relate to people who aren't Catholics...catholic means universal, so at least from my position, I should make music that people can identify themselves with, even if they don't share in our same faith...

ryanmeyersmusic
Posted

matty, i'd love to hear what you think about some stuff from my new album (keep in mind that they're rough mixes). i share a similar opinion on christian music, and would love an honest opinion from you.

[url="http://www.myspace.com/quietcities"]http://www.myspace.com/quietcities[/url]

Posted (edited)

[quote name='inDEED' date='Dec 1 2005, 04:11 PM']:Everyone, wear a toque and have a beer... think Canadian...
[/quote]

Take Off to the Great white North, Take off its the beauty way to go

TAKE OFF EH!

You HOSERS

Edited by Church Punk
Posted

[quote name='Matty_boy' date='Dec 5 2005, 06:37 PM']Does a Catholic rock band have to always sing directly about jesus or the lyrics worship him or is it good to sing about concepts that are identified with Catholicism like joy and suffering with joy, chastity, charity, mercy, etc.?
[right][snapback]812785[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't feel that to be labeled a "Catholic musician", you necessarily have to engage STRICTLY CATHOLIC themes in every lyric.

However, that being said, I DO FEEL that if you're calling yourself a "Catholic artist" as opposed to an artist who happens to be Catholic, it's important to have SOME *Catholic* themes in your music - themes that would probably separate you from the Christian music scene.

Once again - that is my opinion. The wonderful thing is that there is a GIANT spectrum of Catholic artists.

Some artists like MC Just aka Akalyte and Seven Sorrows come out and speak about some direct aspect of the Church in every lyric. Other artists choose to be a bit more suttle and poetic about their message.

My thought is that if you aren't afraid to proclaim your Catholicity and your message is centered on the love of God and His Church - you're a Catholic artist.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...