Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is dating a hindu guy wrong?


Is dating a hindu guy wrong if I'm a catholic girl?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Ash Wednesday
Posted

A lot of Catholics marry non-Catholics, but that's not the same as being non-Christian. I think we might want to differentiate to avoid confusion, as Creepy has specifically brought up non-Christian.

Posted

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Dec 6 2005, 01:14 PM']A lot of Catholics marry non-Catholics, but that's not the same as being non-Christian. I think we might want to differentiate to avoid confusion, as Creepy has specifically brought up non-Christian.
[right][snapback]813442[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree, I think the Church doesn't absolutely forbid it because of the problems that would cause, especially in mission countries, but it is definately not to be preferred.

CreepyCrawler
Posted

thanks for your thoughts, guys. :) you are all so smart! and no, i am not in love with gandhi. he just happens to be someone i really look up to!

Posted

Half of my RCIA class had converted to Catholicism b/c they were married to Catholics, and they really did so genuinely. I'm undecided about interfaith dating, b/c, there is always the possibility of conversion (though it shouldn't be the sole focus) and it can work, at the same time, I do want to find a nice Catholic boy to marry, mostly because of love for Jesus (who is the absolute Love of my life, and if a guy I was into didn't love Him, I'd feel sad because He is my Life, and also, if I marry someone who is a practicing Catholic, he will be more likely to share my beliefs about sexuality and morality which are so important to me. I'd definetely say pray about it and see what God wants. Also, I know I'm hijacking, but I just wanted to say I like your Ghandi avatar, he was such a cool person :)

  • 12 years later...
Posted

This is my first time to date a hindu guy and i am Catholic.

Well i could say that, religion really do holds us back in what our heart wants, and that is so sad and depressing.

He's indian and i'm a filipina. Anyway i am saying that if u love someone, go for it. We are in a generation where we can express ourselves freely, and i can shout out loud that i am happy, i love this man, and we're not doing anything that could step anyone or anything. Ditch those f*cking cultures, naysayers, ditch those caste and sometimes u really have to ditch the tag of ur religion.

Religion is like many fingers, pointing in one sun. We're praying and worshiping the same GOD, and we just have our own ways of doing it.

Let there be love, and go with the flow of nature. You're happiness is ur choice, why worry about the future? when all you can change and do something is today? At the end of the day, i am telling u that those people/naysayers/bashers doesn't even care, so why does their opinions should matter?

 

When u love someone and whatever culture or religion he/she may come from, RISK should always be a choice. Or else you wouldn't know whatever possibilities could happen along the way. You can be happy, you can be sad, but u can never tell. CHOICE IS YOURS TO MAKE.

 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
Posted

I think many get crushes and mistake it for love. Crushes feel right but the compatibility scales are way off.

Posted (edited)

There are so many good Catholic guys looking for good Catholic wives - what's the matter with dating one of them?

Edited by Norseman82
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

I'm coming home to the Church and married to an atheist. Which I think is more complicated than a Hindu. As long as you love him and he's accepting of your religion I don't see a problem with it. Just make sure you're on the same page when it comes to raising children. Mine won't let me take ours to church or get baptized till he sees I'm serious about Catholicism. 

  • 1 month later...
Posted

Interesting topic. I'm also Indian. I know of a woman, family friend, who married a Catholic and subsequently became Catholic herself. It's possible if you say that he's open-minded, that he could become convinced of the Truth of Catholicism. 

I think that it is problematic that Hinduism is kind of a relativistic religion, and that some do eventually come to believe that Jesus is God, but God among countless others.

 You can date this guy but be serious of your own faith-- and remember, if you do marry him, you must have your kids grow up in the Catholic faith and have a Catholic wedding. I know of another family friend who married a Muslim man… He was cool with having their son grew up in the faith.

For all their errors, there are elements of the Truth in all religions.  When I went to a Hindu wedding once, I was struck by a lot of what I heard in their ritual about the indissolubility of marriage, one woman,and one man, that is laid out by their religious texts.  It was really beautiful. 

 Just some thoughts… 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...