An Old School Catholic Message Board

violence

N/A Gone

ok, I go to a good protestant good fearing school that I love, professors that I wouldnt trade for the world and experiences I hope I never lose..so no proto bashing here.. :ninja:

but I disagree with one concept.

we had a discussion about violence and if it is every the right thing, and my school said no. never. so the example they gave is if you are with someone and someone starts acting violent possibly killing someone that we should just not act violent..

I disagree completly and Im willing to do purgatory time for it. If Im with some people and someone wants to start some things Im gonna respond to those things. JoeyO can I get some rep.

Idk..maybe its cause ive killed a man.. :shock:

thoughts?

Someone breaks into your home and attacks your family. He's got a knife and he's threatening to kill your wife and kids. The only chance you have at protecting your family from this monster is to grab the knife away from him -- this will require a struggle, a fight. That in itself is violence.

What man would or should let someone kill their family right in front of their eyes, when he could prevent it from happening by engaging in a fight (violence)? Surely no one, God or man, would deny a man the right under such circumstances.

For a Christian to suggest otherwise is a serious misunderstanding of Christian teaching on their part.

I think that Christian pacifists should watch Schindler's List or the "Why We Fight" episode of Band of Brothers three times a day until they're cured.

[quote name='beatty07' date='Dec 7 2005, 08:14 AM']I think that Christian pacifists should watch Schindler's List or the "Why We Fight" episode of Band of Brothers three times a day until they're cured.
[right][snapback]814942[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree with you. Better yet, they should read the Schindler's List book and read the stories of what happened to those people and their famiies, they're all heart wrenching or read 'Flag of our Fathers' and read what happened to the POW in that book.Or they could simply look at 9/11...yeah, let's settled those things peacefully. *rolls eyes*

Edited by onathing1

[quote name='Revprodeji' date='Dec 7 2005, 07:19 AM']i love you guys
[right][snapback]814948[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Just relaying a little bit of Catholicism for you.

[quote name='Nathan' date='Dec 7 2005, 07:11 AM']Someone breaks into your home and attacks your family. He's got a knife and he's threatening to kill your wife and kids. The only chance you have at protecting your family from this monster is to grab the knife away from him -- this will require a struggle, a fight. That in itself is violence.

What man would or should let someone kill their family right in front of their eyes, when he could prevent it from happening by engaging in a fight (violence)? Surely no one, God or man, would deny a man the right under such circumstances.

For a Christian to suggest otherwise is a serious misunderstanding of Christian teaching on their part.
[right][snapback]814937[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why wrestle the knife when we have the 2nd Amendment?

umm I somewhat agree...

I should say that I wouldn't agree with like a bar fight senerio, where your life really isn't in danger. Say if someone gets mad and hits you, probably more christian to actually turn the other cheek and walk away.

Now lets say he's coming at you with a knife... well turning the other cheek gets you killed, so not a good choice. Fight back, but with the intention of both people walking out alive. ie don't grab the knife from him and then proceed to stab him.

It gets really muddy when you put it terms of war...
I'll give you a true story... my junior year of highschool I spent the summer in eastern germany living with a family. I talked with the grandmother one day and she told me their family story... She grew up in poland in the 1930's, and after Hitler invaded poland their family was in the Soviet area of poland (after poland was captured it was divided between Russia and Germany). Her family hating the Communists and their way of life pick up their stuff and head to Germany. When the war breaks out between Germany and Russia all 3 of her brothers go to fight the communists... 2 were killed...
So was it right for them to fight against a system they didn't like, but in turn fight alongside the Nazi Government?

Edited by rkwright

[quote name='rkwright' date='Dec 7 2005, 01:41 PM']So was it right for them to fight against a system they didn't like, but in turn fight alongside the Nazi Government?
[right][snapback]815416[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That may be emotionally complicated given the context, but it's morally simple. They were not justified in defending the Third Reich by force of arms, for any personal reason. We can't pass judgment on questions of their knowledge or culpability, it was absolutely the wrong thing to do.

[quote name='beatty07' date='Dec 7 2005, 11:47 AM']That may be emotionally complicated given the context, but it's morally simple.  They were not justified in defending the Third Reich by force of arms, for any personal reason.  We can't pass judgment on questions of their knowledge or culpability, it was absolutely the wrong thing to do.
[right][snapback]815427[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

so fight for a Godless communist government that killed just as many people as the Germans?

[quote name='Matty_boy' date='Dec 7 2005, 12:01 PM']Why wrestle the knife when we have the 2nd Amendment?
[right][snapback]815378[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm Canadian, specifically Ontarian. I have actually never met a private citizen who keeps a gun in their house, so that's all foreign to me. Guns just aren't a part of our culture.

[quote name='Nathan' date='Dec 7 2005, 12:34 PM']I'm Canadian, specifically Ontarian. I have actually never met a private citizen who keeps a gun in their house, so that's all foreign to me. Guns just aren't a part of our culture.
[right][snapback]815510[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

what? I heard canada has more guns per person than the states...