An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just got back from Narnia

benedictaj

It was fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought it was so well done - really quite beautiful. :D:

When Aslan walks up the stairs to the Stone Table, the line "no greater love hath a man for a friend than to lay down his life for him (or another)" INSTANTLY popped into my head.

It really challenged me about would I lay down my life for God? my faith? my family? my friends?

And how far will I go for God?

It also brought home the horror and distress of war. I mean, its easy enough to read the papers, watch the news - but we get sanitised to the horror of it all....

Anyway, I majorly recommend it :) Yeah, there is a lot of linking to Christianity (duh! but I thought it was done beautifully. My friend and I bawled our way right through the whole thing!!! (its starts quite sad too.)

:topsy: :drool: :D:

daugher-of-Mary

I'm going to see it tomorrow at midnight with the "mythopoeic" society at the college :huh: :lol_roll: I'm a dork, and so are my friends! I'm so glad to hear it was well done!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Campus Crusade for Christ here is going to go see it in about 45 minutes... (midnight showing) but I have 7 to 9 pages to write, and I have a total of 0 pages done so far. So I must go, just trying to procrastinate...

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[quote name='memtherose' date='Dec 9 2005, 03:19 AM']See here Ave Maria Totus Tuus!!!
[right][snapback]817874[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

YAYY!! GO SEE IT EVERYONE!!

THANKS!!

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i saw it last night it was SOOOOOOOOOOo good! i really enjoyed the symbolism and i have to share it with all of you:

the Lion: Jesus chirst. the Lion was sacrificed on an altar so that he could save the life of the tratior (edmund). After his death he is ressurected.

White which: Jews, Queen herod, Satan, pharisees. in one line she demands the blood of edmund, she says that the law demands it and the lion (jesus chirst) says not to tell him about the law since he was there when it was written. she also has the Lion sacrificed to save Edmund.

Fox: jOHN the Baptist. he insalted the queen and then was murdered.

Peter: St. Peter, prince of the apostles. he is the HIGH KING of narnia, and leads the battle against the white which after The lion dies.

Edmund: all human sinners, sins pf humanity.

the other 3 Children: represent the apostles and the first bishops.

tell me what you think.

[color=#ff0066]Well yeah Lewis wrote the books symbolically like that, so I suppose it's good that you caught it.

Also- I liked how they portrayed Edmund as Judas and humankind. Christ died to save his life. The lowest of all sinners who would eventually betray Him and sit in the lowest reaches of hell was died for by the greatest King.

Also, the stone table- anybody think that this was referring to the Old Testament stone tablets brought down by Moses? Christ shattered and fulfilled and completed the old law (the prophecy on the side of the table). Also, the White Witch called for any traitors' blood to be spilled upon the Stone Table, representing the harsh and strict punishments enforced by the Old Law.

Also, I liked how Aslan/Christ freed all the souls of those who were frozen or turned into stone by the Witch/Satan. Oh yeah, and the correlation of seasons.
Very cool.
[/color]