An Old School Catholic Message Board

17 year old nun

MC IMaGiNaZUN

MC IMaGiNaZUN

[url="http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051211/Lives02/512110535/0/ourLives"]http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs....0535/0/ourLives[/url]

South Bend Tribune

December 11. 2005 6:59AM

'I know I have made the right choice'

Sister Clare Marie Klein, 22, became a nun at the age of 17, and this is her first year as a teacher at Holy Family Catholic School in South Bend. She recently spoke with Tribune staff writer May Lee Johnson.

[b]Can you tell me something about who you are? [/b]I grew up in Mendon, Michigan, on a farm. I have nine brothers and sisters, and I was home-schooled. I graduated from high school early and entered Madonna University (in Livonia, Mich.).

[b]When did you realize you wanted to be a nun? [/b]I fell in love with Jesus. When this happened, everything changed, and I wanted my whole life to be about Jesus. I am not saying that at that moment I became perfect! It's just that at a certain point, I realized that nothing matters without Him. ... There is no meaning, no purpose in life without God. ...

I discovered that Jesus was calling me to offer my life in a way that many people (including myself, at the time) do not understand.

[b]What attracted you to the Felician Franciscan Sisters? [/b]I saw their love for Jesus in the Eucharist, their dedication to service of the church, their devotion to the Blessed Mother, the centrality of Scripture, and the fact that the religious habit is still a reality in the community. As a young person of the current generation, signs and symbols are a necessity to me. I need to know and see the difference between one lifestyle and another, and I understand the importance of a visible witness.

[b]How did your parents feel about your entering the convent at such a young age? [/b]They wanted me to finish college first, and for a while I tried to honor their wishes. But my desire to become a nun didn't go away; in fact, it became stronger. But after they realized how miserable I was, they gave me their blessings.

[b]What has been your biggest struggle with becoming a nun? [/b]The biggest struggle was just making up my mind and doing it. I went through more before I actually joined than when I entered the convent. We have two years of formation, and we were given the time we need to decided if being a nun is what we really want, but I know I have made the right choice.

[b]How long have you been in South Bend? [/b]I've been here since August.

[b]What subject do you teach, and to what grades? [/b]I teach science to grades seven and eight.

[b]Did you know kids and people in the community describe you as the young sister who wears stockings and boots? [/b]I was raised on a farm so I feel very comfortable in my boots. I think it's very cool they notice what I wear.

[b]What do you like most about being a teacher? I[/b] love to teach the students about the awesomeness of God's creation. That's the beauty of science: While attempting to answer some of these questions, it teaches one to interrogate, to explore and to take nothing for granted. It prepares one to make a great contribution to society as inquisitors, as seekers of the truth, and as sharers of new discoveries that benefit and improve society. I like to see students think and explore, and I especially like to see the respective results!

[b]What is it you like least? [/b]I don't like grading papers.

[b]What special gifts do you feel you bring to your job? [/b]I have an insatiable love for Jesus and a deep desire for the truth! This, combined with an unquenchable curiosity, a bit of enthusiasm, a touch of discipline, and the desire to develop inquisitive minds is part of who I am. ... I hope and pray that my students will benefit from what I have to give them.

How fun! Thats all i can say.

SHALOM

MC IMaGiNaZUN

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Dec 13 2005, 09:12 PM']Well, she was 17 when she entered, I forget how old she was during the interview...
[right][snapback]824274[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

22, that is how old i am now, and she is allready professed!!!

the community here allowed a 17 year old to enter last year, the other prenovice i live with.

I mean, heck, i would rather get ordained before i loose my hair, or it gets grey!!!

SHALOM

[quote name='MC IMaGiNaZUN' date='Dec 13 2005, 11:17 PM']22, that is how old i am now, and she is allready professed!!!

the community here allowed a 17 year old to enter last year, the other prenovice i live with.

I mean, heck, i would rather get ordained before i loose my hair, or it gets grey!!!

SHALOM
[right][snapback]824404[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

LOL!!!!!!!!!1 Thats tru!!!

let_go_let_God

I wish I knew about my vocation at that age, although I am 19 and it's clear with a very wonderful fog around it.

God bless-
LGLG