An Old School Catholic Message Board

Child Models

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

What is your opinion on child modeling? Do you believe it is appropriate at a certain age and not at another? Please explain.

it really depends on the type of modeling the child is doing in my opinion. I mean, you can't have some 40 year old dude modeling the latest baby clothes. You need models for all ages to promote the clothest, hense the "promoting the clothes' and not themselves. As long as THAT is what they are doing and nothing is scandalous I don't see much wrong.

franciscanheart

of course. i am not implying anything scandalous at all. in fact... i had something like the welchs grape juice commercials/ads in mind. not so much the commercials but the pictures that come from them. and child models for fashion magazines and catalogues.

I have no problem with it....at any age. There are ads for all products, some are going to be sold by pics of cute babies, some by ancient old fogeys. In order to get the pics, you need babies & fogies. What's the trouble?

I modeled from age 3 to about age 8. I didn't ask to do it (I think my grandmother arranged it, actually). It was okay, sometimes lame. I think they only hired me because I could sit quietly and I wouldn't cry during the pictures. When my mom asked me if I wanted to stop, I really didn't care at the time. I'm glad that I did stop, though.

But I don't think I'd ever want my children to do it. For one thing, if I were married and had a daughter who modeled, I really wouldn't want her to continue doing it into her pre-teen and teen years because she could be asked or pressured to model some questionable articles of clothing. . . . So I probably wouldn't have her do it in the first place to save the trouble of that. I would also be concerned about how she viewed herself. Modeling just seems so objectifying to me, at least when you reach the pre-teen stage. I might also get concerned about vanity as well as self-esteem issues.

On a practical level, modeling takes a lot of time and dedication, and some parents, much less their small children, just don't have that kind of time or patience.

[quote name='Colleen' date='Dec 13 2005, 10:49 PM'] I really wouldn't want her to continue doing it into her pre-teen and teen years because she could be asked or pressured to model some questionable articles of clothing. . .
[/quote]

What, you plan on being completely out of the picture by then? Isn't it your role to step in & let them know your daugher wouldn't model these things?

[quote name='Rick777' date='Dec 13 2005, 11:19 PM']child modeling is fine. One thing I would worry about though is having a vain child.
[right][snapback]824546[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

you can get one of those easily without any modelling at all....

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Dec 14 2005, 12:16 AM']What, you plan on being completely out of the picture by then?  Isn't it your role to step in & let them know your daugher wouldn't model these things?
[right][snapback]824541[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Umm, of course I would be in the picture. I just wouldn't want her to have to go through that in the first place. I don't really care for the whole modeling atmosphere, either. There [i]is[/i] pressure put upon you, whether you want to do things or not. Not only from the modeling company, but from the other models as well. I wouldn't want my child to be a part of that, and I wouldn't want her to start thinking that since everyone else was doing it, that such modeling was okay. Sure, if I allowed my child to model, I would be very much involved. But I wouldn't want my child to have to work in an atmosphere that puts such pressure on her.

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Dec 13 2005, 11:16 PM']What, you plan on being completely out of the picture by then?  Isn't it your role to step in & let them know your daugher wouldn't model these things?
[right][snapback]824541[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It's because she would be involved she'd say no. ;)

homeschoolmom

I have a friend whose children model (they are ages 6 and 4) and they've done so all their lives. They are in Target ads, on boxes for toys, catalogs, etc. The money is going into their college fund. Seems harmless to me.

I had a friend who modeled for Delia's catalogues all through grammar school. She wasn't vain about it at all, thanks to her parents. They socked all the money away into a college fund for her.

franciscanheart

i think i would allow my children to do it MAYBE in their younger years but only after they could tell me how they felt about things. i wouldnt want to put them through anything stressful like that when they werent able to speak for themselves.