An Old School Catholic Message Board

Philosophy buffs..talk to me

N/A Gone

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Revprodeji' date='Dec 18 2005, 09:44 PM']What is your assessment of the state of catholic/christian philosophy?
What is the problem that christian/catholic philosophy faces? what are some detailed solutions to that problem?

How have philosophers of the past contributed to the situation of today? How would you see those philosophers, or perhaps their style, working to change the situation of todays philosophy?

Mostly im curious about guys like
[right][snapback]830320[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Socrates|Plato / Aristotle
Augustine|Anselm / Descartes
Hume / Locke
Kant / Thomas
Kierkegaard / Nietzsche

I have group the dudes you mentioned together according to a relationship within their philosophical visions.
If I were to put together a reading list for philosophy based on those particular guys I would group them together in this way.

Most of what we know about Socrates is from the dialogues of Plato, thus I wouldn't separate them. Aristotle would make more sense in light of Plato and they address a lot of the same issues so it would be interesting to study them together.
I grouped Augustine and Anselm largely because they have a certain continuity of thought and I've pitched them against Descartes because this struck me as a fun combination. Descartes has some obvious similarities with Anselm in certain areas, and I've actually encountered things in Augustine's lesser known works that anticipate Descartes' philosophy in some regards.
As Plato, Aristotle and Augustine substantially set the stage for Thomas, so do Descartes, Hume and Locke set the stage for Kant. I've also grouped Thomas and Kant because I believe there is an interesting dialogue inherent in Kantian and Thomistic philosophy. Modern existential and transcendental Thomism proves this point.
Kierkegaard and Nietzsche are another obvious pair, both considered fathers of existentialism, they are similar in style (being very psychological and of course "existential", as well as controversial and men of deep inner conflict, and at war with the bourgeois) as well as many of the issues they deal with. The interesting thing is that one argues for Christianity, the other is vehemently anti-Christian; an interesting pair to say the least.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Dec 19 2005, 10:16 PM']That is a crime.  :P:lol_roll:
[right][snapback]831203[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:yes:

although I haven't to admit I haven't dusted off any of my Anselm books in years. :blush:

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Dec 19 2005, 11:03 AM'][*]Anselm - I haven't any of him yet.  :([right][snapback]830515[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Even [i]I've[/i] read Anselm. :P:

But I really have no room to talk.

[quote name='Colleen' date='Dec 20 2005, 11:08 AM']Even [i]I've[/i] read Anselm. :P:

But I really have no room to talk.
[right][snapback]831688[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:maddest:

Oh, don't ask Q about philosopy ... I've heard him! :shock: Actually, he's got pretty good insights!

Just to add to what he said ... Kant destroyed both reason and revelation. He thought revelation was redundant if it repeated what man could know through reason and superfluous if it said anything man couldn't know through reason. In either case, he destroyed it. He also destroyed reason since he said we can never know the thing itself (the neumena), but only as it appears to us (the phenomena).

Thomas is my favorite. :D: