An Old School Catholic Message Board

dying religious orders

Sixtina87

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Dec 28 2005, 03:01 PM']that sounds wonderful, is there anyway you can pics of the monastery and post it that way we can see what it looks like???
[right][snapback]837991[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Ya, I just got a digital camera for Christmas... but you can go to the website at www.praythenews.com... I think they have some pics.

be_thou_my_vision

If you go to "removing the veil" then "our reality" there is a picture of the courtyard... absolutely beautiful.

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' date='Dec 28 2005, 03:03 PM']Ya I think they did come from there. The sisters in Indianapolis don't  wear a habit, so that may be why they are not having many vocations. Young people today want to wear the habit... I asked one of the sisters why they did not wear the habit and she said because it is not what the area needs right now... The people that come and visit them need to be embraced with God's love and all that good stuff... believe me I love the habits though. Sister also said that when the pope asked them to return to the spirit of the founders, they discovered that St. Teresa of Avila was radical and she changed what needed to be changed according to the times and what the area and world needed.
I would like them to wear the habit, but I respect them for answering the pope with such devotion.
When did you go to the Indianapolis Carmel?
[right][snapback]837993[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I am sorry to jump off topic!

But I am just trying to understand a couple of things.....Returning to the spirit of the founders?? I think O.H.M St. Teresa would be turning over in her grave. I think they are so far away from the reforms of St. Teresa. Just my ten cents!

be_thou_my_vision

I think they really prayed about it...
They are wise women, and I think they are more "Carmeliteish" than a lot of communities, and I think St. Teresa is proud of her daughters. You smell the "carmelishness" when you walk into their monastery.
I agree that the habit is valuble, and I wish they still wore it, but obvioulsy God was calling them to something we don't understand.
They are wonderful Carmelites and I'm sure St. Teresa is proud to call them daughters.

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' date='Dec 28 2005, 03:40 PM']I think they really prayed about it...
They are wise women, and I think they are more "Carmeliteish" than a lot of communities, and I think St. Teresa is proud of her daughters. You smell the "carmelishness" when you walk into their monastery.
I agree that the habit is valuble, and I wish they still wore it, but obvioulsy God was calling them to something we don't understand.
They are wonderful Carmelites and I'm sure St. Teresa is proud to call them daughters.
[right][snapback]838021[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't understand though they probably see that their community is dying and they are not taking any steps to stop it. They definitely need vocations and as you stated before they are aware of what our generation is searching for.

be_thou_my_vision

They decided to not wear the habit in the seventies, so it's not really a recent thing. I think if they felt that God wanted them to re-adopt the habit, then they would. It's not like they don't make an impact in the community. Everyone loves the sisters and they are a great source of spiritual help. I don't know what God's plan is with them, but it's not for me to know.

You speak the truth. Many young people today think the habit is the be all in a community. These sisters are wonderful, living the life as they feel best exemplifies what their founders wanted. I lived during Vatican 2 mess and what it did to the church. But you cant turn back the clock. To complain that the reason they are not getting vocations is merely because they don't wear a heavy wool habit, is ludicrous. They have been leading the life for many, many years, how can we dare judge them? Their website is awesome, and I always send in my prayer requests.

be_thou_my_vision

Totally agree.
I know that a lot of young women are looking for religious communities that wear the habit, and they are not one. So they get overlooked. They have a wonderful feel and spirituality, and I love them dearly, as do all that know them and I hope that people do not overlook them in the future just because they do not wear the habit.

daugher-of-Mary

I have mixed feelings about this thread. I don't think it is fair to assume that "dying" orders are not receiving vocations because they are unorthodox. For instance, there is a community of Italian Sisters in this area (Sisters of Mercy of Ivrea) who have not received any American postulants in years. They are faithful, habited, and radiate the joy of Christ..the fault is not the community's! They keep on praying for vocations, and God willing, some generous souls will respond! But orders come and go. Let's just pray for the communities that are struggling to continue without younger Sisters, and for young souls to open their hearts and respond generously to the call of Christ! ^_^

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Dec 28 2005, 05:40 PM']I have mixed feelings about this thread. I don't think it is fair to assume that "dying" orders are not receiving vocations because they are unorthodox. For instance, there is a community of Italian Sisters in this area (Sisters of Mercy of Ivrea) who have not received any American postulants in years. They are faithful, habited, and radiate the joy of Christ..the fault is not the community's! They keep on praying for vocations, and God willing, some generous souls will respond! But orders come and go. Let's just pray for the communities that are struggling to continue without younger Sisters, and for young souls to open their hearts and respond generously to the call of Christ!  ^_^
[right][snapback]838067[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Thank you for your comment. I couldn't agree more.

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Dec 28 2005, 05:40 PM']I have mixed feelings about this thread. I don't think it is fair to assume that "dying" orders are not receiving vocations because they are unorthodox. For instance, there is a community of Italian Sisters in this area (Sisters of Mercy of Ivrea) who have not received any American postulants in years. They are faithful, habited, and radiate the joy of Christ..the fault is not the community's! They keep on praying for vocations, and God willing, some generous souls will respond! But orders come and go. Let's just pray for the communities that are struggling to continue without younger Sisters, and for young souls to open their hearts and respond generously to the call of Christ!  ^_^
[right][snapback]838067[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

it seems, that now a days, th4e discerners such as you and me and everyong else hear, are more interested in the religious orders that have the habits vs wearing our normal cloths every single day....to me it is easier to talk to a Sister who wears a hbait vs the ones who dont...thats just my opinion and thats how it seems to be with others that i know who are also discerning!!!!

[quote name='alicemary' date='Dec 28 2005, 04:26 PM']You speak the truth. Many young people today think the habit is the be all in a community. These sisters are wonderful, living the life as they  feel best exemplifies what their founders wanted. I lived during Vatican 2 mess and what it did to the church. But  you cant turn back the clock. To complain that the reason they are not getting vocations is merely because they don't wear a heavy wool habit, is ludicrous. They have been leading the life for many, many years, how can we dare judge them? Their website is awesome, and I always send in my prayer requests.
[right][snapback]838052[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hi, I am relatively new here. I'm the mom to 3 young adults in different stages of finding their own vocations. I did my own discerning during the early post-Vatican 2 chaos in religious orders and can appreciate the sincerity of those orders who tried to return to the founder's original intention with regard to religious garb. Many of the traditional habits were originally the common dress of the poor or the widows of their time, plain, modest and unadorned. Post Vatican 2, many orders questioned whether or not they were living out their vow of poverty when their traditional habits were made of costly materials and took considerable time to maintain. Long before Vatican 2, Pope Pius XII encouraged simplification of the habit, and several religious orders were formed in the 1950's with very simple, unveiled garb.
Having said that, I would like to see more the visible sign of a habit of any style worn by sisters in the exercise of their apostolate where the visible sign makes a difference. There are those few apostolates where a habit may make a negative impact on those who are served by sisters, and we should not belittle that perspective either. Nor should we think a congregation less "orthodox" that permits regular clothing for exercise or dirty chores. Prudence is a virtue, too.
I'm with Alicemary on this one, we can't turn back the clock,but we can pray and encourage young people to find the place where God can use them best. My heart is with all of you on your journeys.

Ora et Labora

Girls today aren't joining orders because of the habit regardless of how beautiful they think it is. They are joining orders that God is calling them to. I can provide quite a long list of healthy growing communities, all of which have not abandoned the habit. In fact, many communities, like my daughter's community, abandoned the abbreviated habit they adopted in the 'spirit of Vatican II' and have returned to the full habit.

I'd like to see a list of the nonhabited communities that are experiencing similar growth. Remember, the whole reason why we started the discussion of the Indy Carmelites was because somebody mentioned them as a dying order.

I think that the fact that God is calling so many to traditionally habited orders speaks for itself. It does not mean that the habit makes the orders healthy and orthodox, rather it means that the healthy, orthodox orders are habited.