An Old School Catholic Message Board

Interesting new community...

brendan1104

from the Community's [url="http://www.canonsregular.com"]Website[/url]:

The Canons Regular of the New Jerusalem (CRNJ) is a clerical institute of consecrated life whose members (known as canons) pursue the proper apostolic ends of their religious society. By pronouncing the ancient vows of Stability, Conversion of Life and Obedience and living a common life according to the specific form of the institute, each member consciously strives towards the perfection of charity.

The Divine Liturgy in its traditional Latin, in the august Eucharistic Sacrifice, Divine Office and other rites and ceremonies of the Church, constitute the summit toward which the activity of the Church is directed; it is also the fount from which all her powers flow.

For this reason the worthy celebration of the Church’s worship of the Most Holy Trinity is at the heart of the spirituality and work of the CRNJ. The effectiveness of personal sanctification and apostolic works will stem from each member’s faithful participation in the offering of the Church’s liturgy particularly in their own daily celebration of the Sacrifice of Redemption.

The CRNJ further places itself under the protection of the Glorious and Blessed Virgin Mary in the mystery of her Annunciation.

The institute as a whole and each of its members profess fidelity to the Roman Pontiff, the successor of Blessed Peter, Prince of the Apostles, Vicar of Christ, head of the whole Church, the Father and Doctor of all Christians.

The Canons Regular of the New Jerusalem seek perfection of the worship of God using the 1962 liturgy in the celebration of Holy Mass in its historic Latin form.

Archbishop Raymond Burke established the Canons Regular of the New Jerusalem in the Diocese of La Crosse on June 22, 2002. The Canons relocated to the Archdiocese of St. Louis in November of 2004.

[url="http://www.canonsregular.com"]Canons Regular of the New Jerusalem[/url]

I know the Canons because my best friend got married and moved out to St. Louis, and she and her husband go to their Mass every Sunday. Actually, she is now working as their housekeeper lady! They seem to be very devoted to the restoration of the old liturgy in all its beauty.

We first met them on a Sunday soon after the election of Benedict XVI, and Fr. Oppenheimer gave a wonderful, hard-hitting homily about the good prospects for the Church. He had a pile of Ratzinger's books and would hold up volume after volume, quoting from them, so enthusiastic about the future! The Mass itself lasted over two hours, but was so beautiful, reverent, and the homily so dynamic that it felt like 15 minutes. The other Canons seem pretty quiet but awesome as well.

Don't think it's only for men, too--I hear that Fr. Oppenheimer wants to start a women's branch and is looking for suitable canditates. So if you think you may be called to a traditional religious order, send him an e-mail!

Guest Rick777

Lane, 41, who was ordained a deacon by the bishop of the Scranton, Pa., diocese, also will be tonsured, a ritual that involves the shaving of the crown of the head to symbolize the crown of thorns the Romans placed on Jesus' head to mock him at his crucifixion.

Although the full tonsure and the liturgical use of the Latin Rite and Gregorian chant are ancient practices, the Canons Regular are not an anachronism rooted in the past, (Fr.) Oppenheimer said.

"We're Roman Catholics, and it's the year 2003," he said.

hmmmmm........................isnt tradition one of our beauties

Edited by Rick777

[quote name='TheresaMF' date='Dec 31 2005, 02:27 PM']I know the Canons because my best friend got married and moved out to St. Louis, and she and her husband go to their Mass every Sunday.  Actually, she is now working as their housekeeper lady!  They seem to be very devoted to the restoration of the old liturgy in all its beauty.
[right][snapback]841698[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

are they augustinian? i'm confused. :idontknow:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, they are Augustinian Canons. The Catholic Encyclopedia has an informative article on [url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03288a.htm"]Canons Regular[/url] in general (although, of course, not this particular community). Canons are basically a median between monks and secular priests. Monks live a life of prayer according to a religious rule that regulates their lives, but they don't have to be priests. Secular priests are dedicated to the sacraments and pastoral ministry, but don't observe a particular "rule of life" as monks do. Canons are priests who live a live regulated by a monastic rule. (At least that's what I gleaned from the article linked above.)

I think the Canons Regular of the New Jerusalem are a unique option for those seeking a vocation with the traditional Mass. You have orders of priests, and some really awesome monks, but this is a median option.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='TheresaMF' post='849948' date='Jan 8 2006, 10:03 PM']
Yes, they are Augustinian Canons. The Catholic Encyclopedia has an informative article on [url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03288a.htm"]Canons Regular[/url] in general (although, of course, not this particular community). Canons are basically a median between monks and secular priests. Monks live a life of prayer according to a religious rule that regulates their lives, but they don't have to be priests. Secular priests are dedicated to the sacraments and pastoral ministry, but don't observe a particular "rule of life" as monks do. Canons are priests who live a live regulated by a monastic rule. (At least that's what I gleaned from the article linked above.)

I think the Canons Regular of the New Jerusalem are a unique option for those seeking a vocation with the traditional Mass. You have orders of priests, and some really awesome monks, but this is a median option.
[/quote]

Yes, I am seeking a vocation in the CRNJ. I feel a vocation to the priesthood celebrating the traditional rites, but also to the consecrated religious life with solemn vows.

And, right now, they seem to be the only order in America that offers this. There are some traditional dominicans in France I think, but this order seems very good for me.

The FSSP and Institute of Christ the King Sovereign priest are only societies of apostolic life and do not take solemn religious vows, and the Society of St. John Cantius, while celebrating the Tridentine Mass, prays the modern LOTH and gets ordained in the new way, which I do not want. I feel called to go through first tonsure and the minor orders.

This new institute in the order of Canons Regular seems very good. I think I will join it.

brendan1104

Thank God, you're wrong! [url="http://www.clearcreekmonks.org"]www.clearcreekmonks.org[/url]-traditional Benedictine Monks and [url="http://www.carmelitemonks.org"]www.carmelitemonks.org[/url]- traditional Carmelite monks. Both approved, traditional consecrated religious.

[quote name='batteddy' post='1026997' date='Jul 18 2006, 05:37 PM']
Yes, I am seeking a vocation in the CRNJ. I feel a vocation to the priesthood celebrating the traditional rites, but also to the consecrated religious life with solemn vows.
[/quote]

Edited by brendan1104

[quote name='brendan1104' post='1027119' date='Jul 18 2006, 08:46 PM']
Thank God, you're wrong! [url="http://www.clearcreekmonks.org"]www.clearcreekmonks.org[/url]-traditional Benedictine Monks and [url="http://www.carmelitemonks.org"]www.carmelitemonks.org[/url]- traditional Carmelite monks. Both approved, traditional consecrated religious.
[/quote]

Wow. I had no idea those existed. And I've searched a lot for traditional orders.

Still, I don't feel called to monastic life, where the priesthood is accidental and the religious life is the main thing. I feel called to a order where both the priesthood and religious life are substantial to the vocation.

• 5 months later...

I visited them in early November for a weekend, and am going down again Monday for a week.

I really liked them when I met them, and I hope they like me.

Please pray for me as I make my visit.

[quote name='batteddy' post='1152525' date='Dec 30 2006, 08:37 PM']
I visited them in early November for a weekend, and am going down again Monday for a week.

I really liked them when I met them, and I hope they like me.

Please pray for me as I make my visit.
[/quote]
Thanks for the update.

Many prayers :pray: