An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Legion of Christ

the_rev

Hey everybody,

I was wondering if phatmassers here have likes, dislikes, problems or concern about the Legion of Christ. I love the Legion, and once thought called to be there, though I still might be as well.

I support the Legion on a monthly basis and one of my spiritual mentors is a Legionaire. I pray for the Legion every day, for more holy vocations and for the Legionaire priests themselves.

What does Phatmass think about the Legion of Christ? What is on the mind of Phatmassers about this "right winged religoius group" in the words of progressives.

I'd like to address your concerns to the best of my ability along with using the Legionaire Fact website for consultation as well.

Yours in Christ,

Eddie Lee

[quote name='the_rev' date='Jan 7 2006, 10:09 PM']Hey everybody,

I was wondering if phatmassers here have likes, dislikes, problems or concern about the Legion of Christ.  I love the Legion, and once thought called to be there, though I still might be as well.

I support the Legion on a monthly basis and one of my spiritual mentors is a Legionaire.  I pray for the Legion every day, for more holy vocations and for the Legionaire priests themselves.

What does Phatmass think about the Legion of Christ?  What is on the mind of Phatmassers about this "right winged religoius group"  in the words of  progressives.

I'd like to address your concerns to the best of my ability along with using the Legionaire Fact website for consultation as well.

Yours in Christ,

Eddie Lee
[right][snapback]849192[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Knowing them some of them personally, and having almost gone to their Apostolic School in New Hampshire, I think their only concerns are two things: money and vocations.

Does anybody see anything wrong with the chance to enter a two-month postulancy- in the Legion it's called candidacy- the very next day?

Well, Eddie, you asked for opinions.

Eddie,

It seems like the way you have that worded that you're trying to start a debate!

The only thing that ever scared me about them is how pushy they are with vocations. They had a religion teacher job open at their school in St. Louis, and it would have been a dream job because the texts, school and students are all very orthodox. The reason I didn't apply is because I am convent bound and I didn't want any RC people to pressure me into being an RC consecrated woman.

I was roommates with a girl who was the head of incorporation for the brief period of time that they were allowed on campus at Steubenville, and she was constantly pressuring me to join Regnum Christi, and it came around to her because the higher ups were trying to pressure her into becoming an RC consecrated woman.

And the whole Steubenville thing didn't have anything to do with their orthodoxy. Fr. Mike Scanlon never let them on campus because he thought it would screw up the campus dynamic. Fr. Terry let them in during his first semester, and they went on a massive recruitment effort, got t-shirts and made it like a club for all the cool kids. That was my first year, and very few people joined households for two years because of the movement. They also were encouraging the people to leave the university, so the university told them that they weren't allowed to wear their Regnum Christi t-shirts or advertise or hold events on campus anymore after a year and a half.

On the flipside, it makes me appreciate Communion and Liberation. I love that there is no pressure to join and no membership rolls.

you didn't give any opinion at all. Your last point makes no sense, maybe they are concerned about money. It seems that money is what makes the world run. All orders/dioceses are concerned with vocations, people pray for vocations, the Legion prays and encourages young men to think about answering a radical call to serve christ as a holy priest.

Not debate intended, just a place to read phatmassers thoughts. I can be wordy since English is a second language to me.

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Jan 7 2006, 08:24 PM']
Does anybody see anything wrong with the chance to enter a two-month postulancy- in the Legion it's called candidacy- the very next day?

[right][snapback]849201[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I had a friend who went on a silent retreat with them, and right after she joined the consecrated women, which seemed fishy. She hadn't expressed any interest in such a life before, and when she came back, it all seemed very abrupt. Granted, we are aware that it was her choice, but she's not the only person who has gone through that--at least on the women's side.

I used to go to a Legionnaire school...

I love the Legionnaire priests. I love how reverent they are at Mass, how insightful they are in Confession, and how approachable they are in regular life. I am not a fan of Regnum Christi, which is the lay movement somewhat connected with the Legionnaires. I understand, though maybe I'm wrong, that they're two distinct organizations, but they usually go together. Maybe it's just that the priests are the Legionnaires and the laypeople are Regnum Christi, I don't know. But it's the Regnum Christi people that I saw only being interested in money and vocations, as Brendan said. And my experience was that once they figured out I wasn't going to be a consecrated woman, they just lost interest in me and didn't want to give me spiritual direction or talk to me anymore. That's my opinion. But I still think the priests are awesome.

My Legionarie has been always there fore me throughout my discernment, through the Legion, norbertines, and now marriage. Father has been there fore me no matter what.

Thy Kingdom Come!
Hey I just wanted to say that maybe i can answer questions to but on the women's side. I am also in Regnu Christi. By the way the Candidcy, they do only have a 2-3 month candidcy but if they think that they need more discernment they can be a co-worker for 1-2 years in which they can discern God's will and they work for the church. I have also heard that after the candidcy they stay in Rhode Island for 4 yrs in school and get 2 degrees. I alsp think that they renew their vows every year for 4 yrs. I think.
I have also found Regnum Christi to be one big family and that we just kind of click right when I meet them. I don't discriminate or anything if someone's not in Regnum Christi and I am sorry for the people that have. I think thats what jgirl was saying.
God Bless,
Sara

[quote name='futurenun' date='Jan 7 2006, 11:41 PM']Thy Kingdom Come!
Hey I just wanted to say that maybe i can answer questions to but on the women's side. I am also in Regnu Christi. By the way the Candidcy, they do only have a 2-3 month candidcy but if they think that they need more discernment they can be a co-worker for 1-2 years in which they can discern God's will and  they work for the church. I have also heard that after the candidcy they stay in Rhode Island for 4 yrs in school and get 2 degrees. I alsp think that they renew their vows every year for 4 yrs. I think.
I have also found Regnum Christi to be one big family and that we just kind of click right when I meet them. I don't discriminate or anything if someone's not in Regnum Christi and I am sorry for the people that have. I think thats what jgirl was saying.
God Bless,
Sara
[right][snapback]849259[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i was referring to the two month candidacy (postulancy) for the legionaries, not regnum christi. a normal, and licit postulancy is 6-12 months.

MilesChristi

[quote name='the_rev' date='Jan 7 2006, 10:09 PM']I was wondering if phatmassers here have likes, dislikes, problems or concern about the Legion of Christ.
[right][snapback]849192[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Although I admire their zeal and doctrinal orthodoxy, I am a bit concerned about the Legion. Specifically, the fact that multiple bishops have barred the Legion from their dioceses strikes me as a sign that something may be wrong with their methods.

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Jan 7 2006, 10:26 PM']i was referring to the two month candidacy (postulancy) for the legionaries, not regnum christi. a normal, and licit postulancy is 6-12 months.
[right][snapback]849293[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That's the same for women religious, too. Most religious orders have at least 2 years between entrance and first vows. For a woman to consecrate herself so soon is a bit sketchy because even lay women who wish to consecrate their virginity have to go through a period of formation (at least that's what Archbishop Burke wrote once in his column)

[quote name='jgirl' date='Jan 8 2006, 02:12 PM']That's the same for women religious, too. Most religious orders have at least 2 years between entrance and first vows. For a woman to consecrate herself so soon is a bit sketchy because even lay women who wish to consecrate their virginity have to go through a period of formation (at least that's what Archbishop Burke wrote once in his column)
[right][snapback]849536[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

One thing to keep in mind for the consecrated women of Regnum Christi is that technically they are not religious, so their formation stages are not the same as religious (with postulancy, etc.). The process for the women has the 2 month candidacy program, with 4 years of formation directly following. At the end of the candidacy program, they make promises (not vows) of poverty, chastity and obedience. The first two years of formation are kind of like a postulancy for them, and at the end of two years then they make a solemn renewal of their promises.

I hope that clears things up. I'm not familiar with the masculine side though.

Overall, I think that the Legionaries and Regnum Christi are a wonderful asset to the Church. Keep in mind that they are still a young group and trying to establish themselves in the United States, so sometimes things don't exactly go as planned and misunderstandings arise. They were both founded in Mexico, and what works in Mexico doesn't always turn out the same in the U.S.

Hi Eddie:
I am a exmember of Opus Dei, I do not know the legion, but if exlegionaries.
There is much rivalry between both institutes, both they try to arrive at wealthy people, when J.P. II name prelature to the O.P. the objections came from the legionaries mainly.
According to the exlegionaries, which interests the legion to him it is that it assembles with them the greater number of possible people.
Other conservative congregations do not do that, and they do not admit people if it does not have vocation.
A diocesan priest that i know, he was a course in a smaller seminary of the legion, when arriving it had to give until its wristwatch, did not let to him call to its family by telephone( while it was in discernment everything was facilities) and read their letters.
In the end he do not hold and return to its house, nevertheless continuous with its vocation, when the finishing the high school he went to the seminary of the diocese.

christusrexnoster

For the sake of charity and unity in the Chruch please do not attack other congregations especially when you have no first hand experience and you do not understand the methodology which has been inspired in their founder by the Holy Spirit. Both congregations, the Legionaries and Opus Dei, are working to build the Church. Neither are in competition since they are both on the same team! Yes the Legion dose have particular norms which, from an outside view seem extreemest but I assure you that everything has a logical explanation. We must not divide the Church by acting as if each movement, diocese, or congregation fights for a particular set of politics. All Catholics are on the same team weather they be Opus Dei, Diocesan Clergy, Legionaries of Christ, or Regnum Christi Members. We are all on the same team, we are called to work together to bear fruit for Christ's kingdom.