An Old School Catholic Message Board

things given to you by a religious

Sixtina87

okay, thi sis kinda like a fun thread to see how kewl religious people are and truly specail they are to us every single day.

from time to time we find those religious who send us things in the mail for no special reason and sometimes there is a reaosn to it.

what types of things have you gotten from a religious person??? what type of occasion???

so here i go.....

for graduation i got a book for my discernment from a vd, i also got 2 books from a poor clare rev. mother, i even had one hour of adoration made for me by my freshman religion teacher....

i usually or use to get retreats books that were made for the sisters of the poor clare community, in which she sent out to those discerning.

today i got in the mail from a sister who i met through yahoo, who made me a rosary which it teeny tinny, and a braclet with pics of Mary or someone liek that, not sure who exactly......wow, that was a surprise for me!!!!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I've got my 'monster' Miraculous Medal and my St. Philomena Cord from some Sisters in Wisconsin (The community my friend joined several years back) and I also was given a Chaplet of the Infant of Prague made from rose petals from the Carmelite Nuns I visited. They were very nice. I've also got so many little prayer cards, especially from the Poor Clare Colettines who seem to send some with every letter. :) Sisters are so wonderful. The gifts I have gotten have been for no specific occasion or reason, especially the Miraculous Medal, I was so suprised by it, but Sister Jacinta said Mother Superior wanted me to have it!

Birgitta Noel

I asked my SD for a photo of St. Therese from Liseux, and he brought me a beautiful medal of her with Our Lady of the Smile on the back. I almost cried it was so beautiful. He also brought a St. Therese key chain that's uber cool. Then I laughed realizing I STILL didn't have a photo of Therese for my desk!

Anyhow, I love the medal and it's a great conversation starter when people realize it's not a miraculous medal.

When I made my Oblature with the Community (more on that later) I received a Miraculous Medal from Rue de Bac and the inscription is in French. It ROCKS. I don't have a chain for it yet though....

I have recieved many masses, prayers, emails, holy cards, small holy objects etc. as well :saint:

Hi all,

Well, the thing that has probably touched me the most is a priest at WYD 2002 gave me his crucifix (the one that hangs around his neck). It's part of a long story, which I won't go into, but it was really touching.

[quote name='Birgitta Noel' date='Jan 17 2006, 10:42 AM']Awwww, definitely.  Now, just how are you going to preserve those third class relics to be?  :saint:
[right][snapback]858649[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]They were delicious. Preservation is no longer an option! I have been preserving all of her written coorespondence though. One day somebody might need them for her cause. :)

[quote name='Birgitta Noel' date='Jan 16 2006, 02:31 PM']I asked my SD for a photo of St. Therese from Liseux, and he brought me a beautiful medal of her with Our Lady of the Smile on the back.  I almost cried it was so beautiful.  He also brought a St. Therese key chain that's uber cool.  Then I laughed realizing I STILL didn't have a photo of Therese for my desk!

Anyhow, I love the medal and it's a great conversation starter when people realize it's not a miraculous medal. 

When I made my Oblature with the Community (more on that later) I received a Miraculous Medal from Rue de Bac and the inscription is in French.  It ROCKS.  I don't have a chain for it yet though....

I have recieved many masses,  prayers, emails, holy cards, small holy objects etc. as well  :saint:
[right][snapback]857858[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Our Lady of the Smile? I'm not familiar with her.

Birgitta Noel

[quote]Q: Who is Our Lady of the Smile?

A: The name "of the smile" does not correspond to a special title of Mary but an impression which Saint Therese of the Child Jesus had of Mary's (the statue of Mary in the home of the Martins) facial expressions when she was miraculously healed in 1883. Therese discovered on Mary's face, beauty, bounty and infinite tenderness, but above all, a charming and enchanting smile. This smile becomes a summary, so to speak, of Therese's Marian spirituality. At the end of her last Marian poem (see the last two verses), she discovers in Mary the one who lovingly smiles at her in the morning of her existence, and again at the moment of its sunset.

It is debatable whether the statue smiles or only appears to do so for the neutral observer. The statue is a typical representation of the Immaculata crushing the head of the snake, standing on the globe, her head surrounded by a crown of twelve stars. There exists an unmistakable resemblance between this statue and the statue of the Miraculous Medal. It is indeed said in Descouvemont/Loose that Catherine Labouré's confessor, Fr. Aladel, presented the goldsmith Vachette with this same type of statue, a copy of Edme Bouchardon's (1698-1762) rendering of the Virgin (1735). This statue has the same posture and outstretched hands as the Miraculous Medal but lacks the typical attributes of the Immaculata, that is, the twelve stars, the globe and Mary's foot crushing the head of the serpent. Sculpted for the church of St. Sulpice, it was placed in the Lady Chapel where such famous figures of the French school of spirituality as J. J. Olier and Louis Marie Grignion de Montfort must have seen it. It disappeared during the French Revolution but was reconstituted in 1832 on the basis of visual materials (estampes) still available.

Need there be a contradiction between the Immaculata and a smiling Madonna? Assuredly not, since Immaculateness expresses itself necessarily as pure joy, among many other things. Mary is cause of our joy, however discreet the smile of her statues. It is in the joy of Mary that her smiling has its roots. Mary's joy has an eschatological significance. It is in the certitude that in the end God will triumph (in his creation, incarnation and redemption) that Mary's life found direction and perspective. This certitude in faith was the source of her joy and the cause of her smiling.

Devotion to Our Lady of the Smile was popular on this continent in the 1950s. It can be detected in Montreal (center of "Les Biussonnets" beginning in 1949), Manchester, NH, Milwaukee, Cleveland, especially of the Shrine of Our Lady of the Smile in Pittsfield, NH (1953).[/quote][img]http://www.udayton.edu/mary/images/smile02.jpg[/img]

:love:

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Jan 17 2006, 10:01 AM']Sister Lauren sent me peanut butter cookies for Christmas.  Does that count?  :)
[right][snapback]858629[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hey people, i havent been on here for a while now...i was busy over the weekend with my work's Christmas party...IT WAS SO MUCH FUNN!!!!!

anyways, dad, if those cookies meant something to you...then it ciounts but i'm sure anything that came fromy our daughter counts!!!!!!!!! I thought it was cute when you meantioned that...NAW!!!!

MC IMaGiNaZUN

Father gave me communion!

that would be enough!

One of the Augustinian brothers gave a couple of things to me before i joined. He gave me one of the necklaces he made during novitiate (which he just finished). As well as a zuchetto (thats one of those typical Roman clerical hats that looks like a jewish yamulke). Then for my interview he gave me a pope jpii book [u]gift and mystery[/u].

Of course, at retreats, they would always give me some kind of pocket book with quotes of St. Augustine.

SHALOM

Laurentina1975

+JMJ+

Actually I have recieved lots of memorable and cherished gifts from one Sister friend of mine. :)

The two that stand out the most is a rosary made out of rose petals from Spain. Sr. Pat gave me this for my 30th b-day. The petals were relics from the shrine of St. Therese of Lisieux. I only use it for very special occasions, as I do not want to to lose its scent (man is that thing fragrant). Let's see....ummm when I was 18, she also gave me a rosary blessed and handed to her from Pope JP the 2nd. Whenever she is overseas, in Rome or somewhere cool, she always brings me something back. So it's awesome to know she is thinking and praying for me and in turn, I continue my prayers with her gifts. So, we got a little prayer cirlce kinda thing goin' on.

So in essence, she has greatly attributed to my prayer life by giving me these gifts and been an awesome spiritual influence.

She is the "coolest" Sister I know.

I consider those two rosaries to be prized possessions.

:D: