An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rennes-le-Chateau and the Holy Grail

dandy777

I would like the help of some Church Scholar/Militant here preferably a clergy.

Yesterday I was watching tv and there was a documentary about different legends and stories told about the Holy Grail.

I was always under the impression that the Holy Grail was a legend or myth tied to King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. I always heard about the Holy Grail as being the chalice from which Christ drank during the Last Supper. Maybe I got that impression from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. :blush:

However, in this documentary, the presenter said that according to old legends (before King Arthur) the Holy Grail was not the chalice itself but a human being with royal divine blood in his/her veins. He said that Mary Magdalene was expecting a child from Jesus (and thus the child was the Holy Grail) and that Mary and Joseph of Arimatea went to Alexandria in Egypt to deliver her child Sarah. He said this happened in around 40 AD. Then he commented that the legend narrates that Mary Magdalene, Sarah, Joseph and Mary (Martha and Lazarus' sister who were great friends of Jesus) sailed to Southern France which at the time was under Roman dominion.

Then there was a snippet about a church in France, Rennes-le-Chateau. I had never heard about this church before. The reportage showed that this church is dediacted to the two Marys (Magdalene and Martha's sister) and that the priest there was in possession of some documents that showed the whole truth - the documents the Templars were trying to find and protect from the Church's power.

Now I don't believe that Christ had any children from Mary Magdalene nor do I believe that the Holy Grail truly exists. What I want to know is if this church in France is Roman Catholic, if it is accepted by the Holy See and what is the official stand of the Church about this whole legend/myth?

Thanks.

I may be wrong here, but this sounds a lot like something in the Da Vinci Code.

It's purely myth and I'm not quite sure how it came to be, but I shall read some on it.

The Holy Grail should be a chalice, not a person...:idontknow:

As qfnol said, that is Da Vinci Code stuff. I think that is pretty much the story too.
Also if the true Church is in France, then what a Church it is...perhaps Dan Brown should have taken a less secular country to write about.

Also, the Templars were an order within the Church that was essentialy started by St. Bernard of Clairveaux (sp?). The demise of the Templars was unfortunate, but it is largely accepted that it was due both in part of their accumulated wealth and power (plus the vices that come with that) and pressure from secular rulers on Rome. If you take the Hospitillars who did not have the success that the Templars did in areas of wealth (and thus not the corruption), you will find that they still have organizations that exist today.

What "historians" like to do here is take the unknown in history and offer their own opinion of what could be the case. It is capitalizing on mystery.

I was under that impression too but since the Holy Grail or Sangraal as it is known (meaning Holy Blood) involves divine blood, this presenter said that Jesus' child has divine blood running through her veins so she must be the Holy Grail.

I don't believe him ... does the Holy Grail (as a chalice) exists at all? I always thought it was a myth!

[quote name='dandy777' date='Jan 13 2006, 12:36 PM']I was under that impression too but since the Holy Grail or Sangraal as it is known (meaning Holy Blood) involves divine blood, this presenter said that Jesus' child has divine blood running through her veins so she must be the Holy Grail.
[/quote]
1) If Christ had a son or daughter that had divine blood, then it would have been so dilluted over the centuries that any heir this day would not have any significant amount of "divine blood."
2) This comes from a lack of faith in God. God does not hide the Truth from people and expect them to find it through gnostic sources, but is a self-revealing God as we see with Moses on an Siani.
3) Simply because it mean Holy Blood does not necessitate that it is a person.
4) Even if this heir did have divine blood, would there not have been subsequent miracles that came from this? Surely the family would have been tremendously succesful because of this divine blood.
5) There is no mention in any of the OT and contemporary sources (Midrash) that mention an heir of the Messiah

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Jan 13 2006, 08:41 PM']1) If Christ had a son or daughter that had divine blood, then it would have been so dilluted over the centuries that any heir this day would not have any significant amount of "divine blood."
2) This comes from a lack of faith in God. God does not hide the Truth from people and expect them to find it through gnostic sources, but is a self-revealing God as we see with Moses on an Siani.
3) Simply because it mean Holy Blood does not necessitate that it is a person.
4) Even if this heir did have divine blood, would there not have been subsequent miracles that came from this? Surely the family would have been tremendously succesful because of this divine blood.
5) There is no mention in any of the OT and contemporary sources (Midrash) that mention an heir of the Messiah
[right][snapback]855192[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

lol @ diluted

Yes of course you are right. In fact I thought it was quite weird as a hypothesis. During the snippet, they also mentioned a particular christian sect very common in France that spread widely. I forgot the name but I remember it started with an "N" and they believed that they were the descendents of this royal divine offspring. :annoyed: Their leader was one of the knights who fought during one of the crusades. If I am not mistaken his name was Godfrey.

I am just relating what I heard and saw not what I believe. However I looked up on the net and this church Rennes-le-Chateau really exists. :wacko: I really wish to know what is the Churches stand on all the matter. I mean if this is a real Catholic Church, what does the Church say about the myth surrounding it? :(

Well from the little searching that I have been doing everything about this church I run into ends up with the Masons or some other esoteric order. That is typically not a good sign.

That's the impression I got while watching the programme too. There were several gargoyles crafted at the top of the church on the outside. It doesn't look catholic, does it? :idontknow:

the Holy Grail is a chalice, and the most likely candidate for it is in Valencia, Spain.

[url="http://www.ignatius.com/ViewProduct.aspx?SID=1&SKU=SLHG-H"]http://www.ignatius.com/ViewProduct.aspx?SID=1&SKU=SLHG-H[/url]

[quote name='dandy777' date='Jan 13 2006, 01:18 PM']That's the impression I got while watching the programme too. There were several gargoyles crafted at the top of the church on the outside. It doesn't look catholic, does it? :idontknow:
[right][snapback]855241[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I have no doubt that the church is, or was at one time, Catholic. I am reading up on the priest that brought this whole contraversy into light. Apparently he became very rich very fast and they think it is because of the finding of this secret. Regardless of how it happened, the gargoyles and what not appear to be a rather recent renovation by this priest rather than original arcitecture.

I am reading this one site that debunks almost all of it, but he still does not like the Catholic Church. He is just through and through cynical. :rolleyes:

I am sorry, but I just had to post this. Apparently this line of thought comes from the 1982 book Holy Blood Holy Grail. [quote]Jesus died an old man in France, where he fled with his family to escape prosecution from Peter and the Apostoles, and was buried near a little town on the Pyrenees, Rennes-le-Chateau.
[/quote] Apparently Christ did not die on a cross, but was ran out of town by Peter...

Thanks for this link Aloysius! :) It is very interesting and sounds plausible yet I guess we can never know the real truth.

Notwithstanding, I don't think it is actually that important, is it? The most important thing is what Christ, said and did and what He still keeps on doing this very day...loving us and accepting us the way we are. We just need to believe that and turn to Him to do His will. :)

Over here, it is pretty late, so I guess, I am gonna hit the sheets. See ya tomorrow buddies! :)

Nite to all! :blowkiss:

A book called "Holy Blood Holy Grail" was written about this place. The story that you heard is from the book. The essence of the book is that the apostles got Jesus off the cross before he died and secretly shipped he and Mary Magdelene off to this town in France. And it gets goofier from there.

Holy Blood Holy Grail was used to make the Da Vinci code. This is one of the resources that Dan Brown claims as "fact". In reality, the book is really bad. Its poorly written and hardly researched. There is nothing scholarly about it and has been dismissed as tripe. However because its a scandalous tale, it resurfaces every now and again. Its a conspiracy theory.

I don't know anything about the Church.