An Old School Catholic Message Board

language and onomotopoeic phenomena

Laudate_Dominum

Laudate_Dominum

I have this silly dream of someday synthesizing a model of the mind that is consistent with a Catholic world-view; is wholly modern, but which transcends the heritage of positivism and post-modernism. In the context of such an endeavor I've felt the need to create this thread.

Is anyone else interested in language and in particular onomotopoeic phenomenon? I know that modern linguistic theorists could care less about the archaic and crude theories regarding the onomotopoeic origins of language, but I tend to think there is something interesting about it. Not as a viable theory for explaining the origins of language, but as an avenue of aesthetic-semiotic exploration that transcends the typical scope of linguistic theory and really says something about what I call the anoetic substrate of consciousness and the diastemic situation of cognition.

I tend to think that the phenomenon of non-auditory onomotopoeic expressions such as 'bling-bling', 'boo-yah' , 'snap!', and 'doh!', has something to say about what I call the antinomic epicenter of dianoesis.

Ummm....yeah....this sounds like a fascinating exercise. I don't think it will work though unless your dilithium crystal is lined up properly in the warp chamber and you might need a secondary tacheon pulse to ensure that words such as 'bling-bling' and 'boo-yah' don't jump through a worm hole when you're not watching.

Count me in!

Guest JeffCR07

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jan 14 2006, 05:03 AM']I have this silly dream of someday synthesizing a model of the mind that is consistent with a Catholic world-view; is wholly modern, but which transcends the heritage of positivism and post-modernism. In the context of such an endeavor I've felt the need to create this thread.

Is anyone else interested in language and in particular onomotopoeic phenomenon? I know that modern linguistic theorists could care less about the archaic and crude theories regarding the onomotopoeic origins of language, but I tend to think there is something interesting about it. Not as a viable theory for explaining the origins of language, but as an avenue of aesthetic-semiotic exploration that transcends the typical scope of linguistic theory and really says something about what I call the anoetic substrate of consciousness and the diastemic situation of cognition.

I tend to think that the phenomenon of non-auditory onomotopoeic expressions such as 'bling-bling',  'boo-yah' , 'snap!', and 'doh!', has something to say about what I call the antinomic epicenter of dianoesis.
[right][snapback]855894[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You should read V.S. Ramachandran's [i]A Brief Tour of Human Consciousness[/i]. It most certainly is not the catholic philosophy of mind you are looking for, but he has some interesting discussions about theoretical origins for language. I remember one of the things he talks briefly about is the fact that words like "gargantuan" or "behemoth" are actually bigger words than words like "tiny" or "small" etc. He also has an interesting discussion about the relation between sounds and shapes. For example, a more than statistically random number of people, when presented with the option, will assign the previously unknown word "kiki" to a pointed object and the word "bumba" to a round one.

I think you'd find it interesting ;)

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Jan 14 2006, 09:14 AM']You should read  V.S. Ramachandran's [i]A Brief Tour of Human Consciousness[/i]. It most certainly is not the catholic philosophy of mind you are looking for, but he has some interesting discussions about theoretical origins for language. I remember one of the things he talks briefly about is the fact that words like "gargantuan" or "behemoth" are actually bigger words than words like "tiny" or "small" etc. He also has an interesting discussion about the relation between sounds and shapes. For example, a more than statistically random number of people, when presented with the option, will assign the previously unknown word "kiki" to a pointed object and the word "bumba" to a round one.

I think you'd find it interesting  ;)
[right][snapback]855955[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Thanks Jeff! I just added it to my reading list for this project. That's 124 authors now. :( I'll be old by the time I finish.

If my Philosophy of Language professor would give us our finals back, I'd let you read my essay ... it touches both on onomotopeia and on a religious view of why we have language ... if he won't give them back, I'll try to recreate the essay, but it will take me a while. :P

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Tata126' date='Jan 14 2006, 10:34 AM']If my Philosophy of Language professor would give us our finals back, I'd let you read my essay ... it touches both on onomotopeia and on a religious view of why we have language ... if he won't give them back, I'll try to recreate the essay, but it will take me a while.  :P
[right][snapback]855980[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:drool:

thank you. :)

Guest JeffCR07

[quote]Thanks Jeff! I just added it to my reading list for this project. That's 124 authors now[/quote]

[quote] If my Philosophy of Language professor would give us our finals back, I'd let you read my essay ... it touches both on onomotopeia and on a religious view of why we have language ... if he won't give them back, I'll try to recreate the essay, but it will take me a while. :P[/quote]

Do you have any idea what we've done? L_D is never going to be able to leave his house...

If I had his library in my house, I'm not sure I'd want to leave either

but to remain on topic . . . sort of . . . if complete ignorance can do that

(after this post, I'm going to go look up onomotopoeic just to make sure it means something close to what I think it does)

do onomotopoeic theories explain why some languages are "soft" (Spanish, French, Italian . . . the romance languages) and others are "hard" (German) Would it be because of climate? Social Structure?

Touches on [url="http://pandora.cii.wwu.edu/vajda/ling201/test1materials/origin_of_language.htm"] Creation or Evolution or other[/url] source of language

I don't know if I can keep all this straight . . . the ding-dong, pooh-pooh, and bow-wow theories . . .

nationalism lives in philology:
One Swedish philologist claimed that in the Garden of Eden God spoke Swedish, Adam spoke Danish and the serpent spoke French

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='journeyman' date='Jan 14 2006, 02:23 PM']Touches on [url="http://pandora.cii.wwu.edu/vajda/ling201/test1materials/origin_of_language.htm"] Creation or Evolution or other[/url] source of language

I don't know if I can keep all this straight . . . the ding-dong, pooh-pooh, and bow-wow theories . . .

nationalism lives in philology:
One Swedish philologist claimed that in the Garden of Eden God spoke Swedish, Adam spoke Danish and the serpent spoke French
[right][snapback]856079[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I like to think I can make a strong case for the view that Adam and Eve spoke Irish. :hehehe:

not that philology will answer the question definitively, but if you could prove that, there is a shot at proving that the Garden was/is in Ireland . . . and that would sit better with modern realists than putting it somewhere in the Middle East . . . what global warming?

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='journeyman' date='Jan 15 2006, 01:07 PM']not that philology will answer the question definitively, but if you could prove that, there is a shot at proving that the Garden was/is in Ireland . . . and that would sit better with modern realists than putting it somewhere in the Middle East . . . what global warming?
[right][snapback]856726[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I have some evidence (both historical/scientific and legend) that associates the Gaelic people with both Egypt and the fertile crescent region. Actually according to legend the father of the Gaelic people was a friend of Moses.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jan 15 2006, 01:13 PM']I have some evidence (both historical/scientific and legend) that associates the Gaelic people with both Egypt and the fertile crescent region. Actually according to legend the father of the Gaelic people was a friend of Moses.
[right][snapback]856736[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You mean the Fenians are actually "Friends of Moses" :shock: