An Old School Catholic Message Board

The blessed Mother in Mexico, Maine!?

stuckinamo

[url="http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/state/060119eeriephoto.shtml"]http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/sta...eriephoto.shtml[/url]

what do you guys think of this?

Edited by stuckinamo

[quote name='rkwright' date='Jan 19 2006, 02:36 PM']umm I guess let the bishops look into it... seems kinda like that salt deal in Chicago maybe a year ago?
[right][snapback]861025[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

or the grilled coagulated milk on e-bay?

[quote name='stuckinamo' date='Jan 19 2006, 01:48 PM']or the grilled coagulated milk on e-bay?
[right][snapback]861040[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The Mother Teresa sticky bun.... there have been others and darn it if I can't even remember them now...

crazymaine catholic

is it sad that i live in maine and i didn't even hear about that? and i have relatives that live there...huh. :P:

we must ready ourselves w/ patience and wait for the Church to say something... too often people jump on these bandwagons of proclaiming "miracle" when in actuality, there isn't one. then when something of this nature is proven to not be supernatural in origin, there is a doubt amongst some - doubt and disappointment.

So what? I mean...really? Her house burned, didn't it? It wasn't like the flames reached that point & then mysteryiously went out, saving most of her house or anything. If it made her feel better, then that's a small blessing, but I don't think there's much point for the rest of us. This just makes me think that people are starved for a sign from God, looking everywhere for images of Christ & Mary that are supernatural, but are only too eager to overlook the very natural signs of God that surround them everyday.

feh

[quote]The image was revealed when Dennis removed a painting from the wall, which was blackened by smoke and fire.

Mexico Fire Chief Gary Wentzell, who downplayed the image, said the image was caused by smoke seeping around the picture frame.

"What you're seeing when you look at it is the outline of smoke," he said. "When that room got all smoked up, the picture protected the wall behind it."[/quote]
I guess we'll just have to wait and see... :think:

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Jan 19 2006, 01:43 PM'] This just makes me think that people are starved for a sign from God, looking everywhere for images of Christ & Mary that are supernatural, but are only too eager to overlook the very natural signs of God that surround them everyday.
[right][snapback]861088[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:teach:

[quote name='sweetpea316' date='Jan 19 2006, 01:52 PM']I guess we'll just have to wait and see... :think:
[right][snapback]861103[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Seriously...wait for WHAT? There is no way that the church is going to proclaim this as being 'supernatural'. You get all sorts of odd burns & swirls from smoke & fire during a blaze like this. I bet somewhere out there is a perfect rendition of Cheech & Chong...we just don't have a bunch of people looking for them everytime they pass a knotted tree, signpost, coagulated milk sandwich, or fence post.

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Jan 19 2006, 04:13 PM']Seriously...wait for WHAT?  There is no way that the church is going to proclaim this as being 'supernatural'.  You get all sorts of odd burns & swirls from smoke & fire during a blaze like this.  I bet somewhere out there is a perfect rendition of Cheech & Chong...we just don't have a bunch of people looking for them everytime they pass a knotted tree, signpost, coagulated milk sandwich, or fence post.
[right][snapback]861124[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I agree Cow. If it comforted her, then that's as far as it should go. I mean, what will we do, venerate the thing?

If that happened to me, I would thank God for reminding me that He is with me even when things are at their lowest. Then I'd rebuild my house. I [i]might[/i] keep the image portion just for my own reflection. I would not call the news.

[quote name='stuckinamo' date='Jan 19 2006, 01:34 PM'][url="http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/state/060119eeriephoto.shtml"]http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/sta...eriephoto.shtml[/url]

what do you guys think of this?
[right][snapback]861023[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think it's really neat that there is a town in Maine named Mexico. :cool: I wish they had a better picture of the image. It would be even neater if the image resembled Our Lady of Guadalupe.