Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Worried....and tired of waiting


Recommended Posts

phillovesourlady2
Posted

Hey. I'm really kinda worried right now. I made the decision to convert to the Church around Thanksgiving. I should have started getting into things right then. I think I spent way too much time looking for churches. I should have gotten myself into an RCIA problem as soon as possible. Now, I'm afraid it might be too late. I had tried to at least start the process of converting at a church, but, as chance would have it, there was a fire that burned a large portion of the church. I had waited for a response from the priest (who I had given my number, email, and address to) but I had never received one. So, now, I'm trying out a different church. But, I am determined to convert. I so much want to get the awlful stains of mortal sin off of my soul in Confession and I long to receive Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament! But now, I don't even know if I can be received at Easter. I think I posted about this awhile ago on this board and someone said they weren't received at Easter. But, I wonder how common this practice is? I know that what determines your process of conversion is how much you know and I think I have a pretty good knowledge of the Catholic faith, but I know in the end it is the priest who decides this. :( I've worried and agonized over this every day because I desperately want to be a Catholic and I'm tired of waiting!

Posted

Follow up with the priest (and the RCIA coordinator, if it isn't the priest) . . . there may be a number of loose ends at that parish right now, and the priest, RCIA coordinator and a sponsor may be willing to do something to get you back on schedule - or to get you into a program at a nearby parish that will get you up to (their definition) of speed

especially because the parish is going through some trauma of its own (fires have a way of messing up everyone''s schedule), don't wait for a call back, but keep calling, show up, hang out in the adoration chapel (prayer is a good tool also) until someone shows up who can help

Posted

Also, dont focus so much on being received on Easter. Although it is a great and significant day to be received, it is not the only day....otherwise the early christians would have only received on Easter.
Instead, the apostles knew that when a person was ready (prepared) he/she was then received..keeping in mind that the early jews were ready, and were therefore baptised/received immediately. Others needed instruction to understand before they were received.

Any day that you are received will be a day of celebration. Not just to you, but to the saints in Heaven and Our Heavenly Father.
Jesus is calling you....answer the phone.


Pax Christi

phillovesourlady2
Posted

This is comforting....so....are you sure that Easter isn't the only time you can be received into the Church? And if it is....is this a widespread practice? It does seem right to let you join when you're ready and have full knowledge of what you're doing.

photosynthesis
Posted

The whole purpose of RCIA is to educate people so they might put their faith in the Truth. So it's not about what you know, it's about what you believe.

I had a good friend who passed away a year ago. When he was dying, he desperately wanted to become Catholic, so he was received into the Church on a Tuesday in the middle of September.

Hopefully your pastor will be able to accurately judge how ready you are for the Sacraments and guide you closer to the Faith

Posted

[quote name='phillovesourlady2' date='Jan 22 2006, 11:40 PM']This is comforting....so....are you sure that Easter isn't the only time you can be received into the Church? And if it is....is this a widespread practice? It does seem right to let you join when you're ready and have full knowledge of what you're doing.
[right][snapback]863665[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Up to the Priest, really. He can recieve anytime he wnats to, it's just USUALLY done on the Easter Vigil.

Oh, and you go to Confession before you're recieved. You could actually do that anytime. Confession is open to Canidates :) Just let the Priest who hears it know it's your first Confession.

Posted

You could probably listen and participate in the meetings, but just wouldn't be able to be received till Easter or through another avenue approved by the diocese. The RCIA coordinator can help you with the former and a priest with the latter.

Posted

[quote name='phillovesourlady2' date='Jan 22 2006, 11:40 PM']This is comforting....so....are you sure that Easter isn't the only time you can be received into the Church? And if it is....is this a widespread practice? It does seem right to let you join when you're ready and have full knowledge of what you're doing.
[right][snapback]863665[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Folks are received into the Church daily through baptism. Easter is traditional for adults, but nothing makes it mandatory. I was received in October.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...