An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dating

the_rev

I've decided to give up on dating I think. I don't think it's meant for me, none of my relationships ever work out, and yesterday I was stood up.

I'm going to focus more on God we'll see what happens.

pray for me.

In Christ,

Ed

Eddie, I will certainly hold you in my prayers. I'm sorry to hear you got stood up. That's never fun. I'm glad to hear, though, that you want to keep yourself focused on God. Our God is a great and wonderful mystery to us, but has had a personalized plan for our life from the moment we were created!!!

:sign: prayers :)

photosynthesis

you know what they say... if you fall off a horse, you just have to brush yourself off and get right back on! Don't let minor setbacks sway you to give up on dating. Be patient, and give God time to work in you and help you discern your vocation.

fwiw, I think you're doing the right thing. Dating while discerning is probably not the best thing to do. If it'll help you feel better you can look at it this way. You are discerning a call to the priesthood. When you become a priest you are 'married' to the Church. So, in essence, you ARE still dating, well at least you're courting.

God bless

Birgitta Noel

Eddie,

You're still young. If everyone gave up on dating at your age we'dve become extinct long ago! If a relationship doesn't work out you have to think that it must have been God's will. If she stood you up there's a possibility that something legitimate kept her from coming. On the other hand, if she didn't have a legit reason she's not worth your time anyways. And on the third hand :P: sixteen may be a bit young to be dating seriously anyhow. So I wouldn't worry too much.

That said, OLAM Dad is right.

Talk to your SD about all of this. And pray. No answers are guarenteed, but then again, you knew that already ;)

srmarymichael

[quote name='the_rev' date='Jan 23 2006, 04:25 PM']I've decided to give up on dating I think.  I don't think it's meant for me, none of my relationships ever work out, and yesterday I was stood up. 

I'm going to focus more on God we'll see what happens.

pray for me.

In Christ,

Ed
[right][snapback]864193[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[b]Focus on God and you can't go wrong.[/b] He has His way of swaying us in the direction of either meeting the right people at the right time, or inspiring to go somewhere or do something..... Be at peace! :saint:

Laurentina1975

+JMJ

:cloud9:

Whatever makes you happiest! Wherever you may feel peace! Whenever you hear your heart sing! Pay attention to that, it's good sign of Our Lord working His magic in your heart!
Good luck!

:elmo:
Lauren

MC IMaGiNaZUN

I would hate to come in here assuming that anybody who forsakes dating for the "greater glory of God" is automatically deserving of a pat on the back from me.

The opposite sex is a highly sensitive area in our hearts. Sometimes it can be emotionally draining. Somehow we wanna believe that God doesnt want this for us.

But with all the frustration the opposite sex gives us, it seems like one might as well give up. And heck, i sure know how i can relate to this.

But i have to point out, even a good thing can be tainted by a wrong intention.

First of all, there is nothing inherently wrong with dating. Walking away from this situation with such a pessimistic attitude toward the opposite sex, is not a healthy thing. Neither for someone called to be a priest or religious. A terrible reason to enter into religious life would be from bitterness of the heart.

Although it is a good idea to turn to God in this situation, it is not a good idea to run away from this to God. Go to God, let him affirm you, love you call you, but most importantly make you so that you can return and handle business. Don't just give up.

It may be very true that God is calling you to be a priest. Heck, you may allready be a real good guy. But if you let this make you bitter, it will forever affect you and handicap you from being to be an effective minister of God's love.

SHALOM

Your current situation sounds a lot like what I went through when I was younger... Let me share, maybe it will help you.

I decided the same thing when I was in high school. I experiance being stood up, dumped before.

I was dating a girl one time for over 6 months then out of the blue she just decided to dump me for no reason.

So I decided to just lay off of dating for a while and had a lot of the same thoughts you have. A couple months later I went to a COR retreat and decided to become hardcore about my faith after that. I decided not to date anyone.. or at least go looking for someone and letting it bother me. I gave it over to the Lord, returned to God.

Its been about 7 years now since I have done that and I have the most wonderful girl friend ever now and I love her. We have been dating for 2.5 years and would you believe I first met her and became friends with her on the same retreat?

So don't loose heart, God knows your desires and what you long for. Perhaps he is calling you to deeper relationship with him. Perhaps he wants to save you to become a religious. Dont loose heart. Stick with Jesus, you cant go wrong. Be open.

I hope this helps

srmarymichael

[quote name='Laurentina1975' date='Jan 24 2006, 08:07 PM']+JMJ

:cloud9:

Whatever makes you happiest!  Wherever you may feel peace!  Whenever you hear your heart sing!  Pay attention to that, it's good sign of Our Lord working His magic in your heart!
Good luck!

:elmo:
Lauren
[right][snapback]865009[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I love that -- this is how God speaks to your heart! :blush:

srmarymichael

[quote name='Church Punk' date='Jan 25 2006, 07:38 AM']Your current situation sounds a lot like what I went through when I was younger... Let me share, maybe it will help you.

I decided the same thing when I was in high school. I experiance being stood up, dumped before.

I was dating a girl one time for over 6 months then out of the blue she just decided to dump me for no reason.

So I decided to just lay off of dating for a while and had a lot of the same thoughts you have. A couple months later I went to a COR retreat and decided to become hardcore about my faith after that. I decided not to date anyone.. or at least go looking for someone and letting it bother me. I gave it over to the Lord, returned to God.

Its been about 7 years now since I have done that and I have the most wonderful girl friend ever now and I love her. We have been dating for 2.5 years and would you believe I first met her and became friends with her on the same retreat?

So don't loose heart, God knows your desires and what you long for. Perhaps he is calling you to deeper relationship with him. Perhaps he wants to save you to become a religious. Dont loose heart. Stick with Jesus, you cant go wrong. Be open.

I hope this helps
[right][snapback]865417[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This story is awesome too.

Quit worrying for your vocation.
Look for God and He will take you there! :topsy:

Laurentina1975

[quote name='srmarymichael' date='Jan 25 2006, 09:25 AM']I love that -- this is how God speaks to your heart!  :blush:
[right][snapback]865453[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sr. Mary Michael rocks.
:punk:

tacos, so very tasty and good for you, for you.
:taco2:

srmarymichael

[quote name='Laurentina1975' date='Jan 25 2006, 04:22 PM']Sr. Mary Michael rocks.
:punk:

tacos, so very tasty and good for you, for you.
:taco2:
[right][snapback]865818[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oh go on! :cool:

I will be praying for you. If you are discerning I would sugdest not to date, it depends on the circumstances, but in general, and in my opinion I don't think dating is healthy for discnerment. Good luck and God Bless,