An Old School Catholic Message Board

again...apostolic succession

2as1

[quote name='Quietfire' date='Jan 29 2006, 12:38 PM']dang.  Im confused.
Licit, illicit, valid, invalid, form, matter, epiclesis, rubrics.

I think I just popped a blood vessel reading this thread.
[right][snapback]869233[/snapback][/right][/quote]
i'll give some overly-simplistic definitions, if that will help (i invite correction from the scholars, if need be)

[b]form: [/b]usally applies to the words of the sacrament, for example, with baptism the proper form is "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

[b]matter:[/b] the substances that are used to confer grace, like the water of baptism or the oil of confirmation

[b]intent: [/b]the reason for performing the sacrament, or the effect we wish to achieve. for example, with baptism, the proper intent is to forgive sin, grant the spiritual gifts, and to join into the family of God.

[b]licit:[/b] a sarament is licit when it has the proper form, matter, and intent and when it performed by the proper authority

[b]valid:[/b] a sacrament is valid if it confers the grace it is meant to confer

[b]epiklesis:[/b] the prayer of the priest to the Holy Spirit to transform the bread and wine into the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus.

[b]rubrics:[/b] just a general term used to refer to the rules that govern our actions and responsibilities as catholics and how we celebrate the sacraments (such as the Code of Canon Law and the General Instruction of the Roman Missal).