An Old School Catholic Message Board

Called to volunteer

she_who_is_not

she_who_is_not

Hey friends,
Lately, I've really been considering the possibility of spending a year or two as a professional volunteer. After almost a year of drifting from job to job and trying to "find myself" I've come to realize that in that process I have been way to focused on myself, I.e. what I want, what I need, what others will think, etc. God has really been challenging me to let all that go and focus on finding Him in others. I spent three great summers working with Autistic adolescents and found it to be one of the most spiritually fulfilling times in my life. I also have teaching experience and did some political organizing in college. So I think I would be a good candidate. I've been researching some opportunities, talking to some people in my parish, and I am generally overwhelmed. :idontknow: I would love to go overseas, especcially to Eastern Europe or India and I am interested in teaching, working with individuals with disabilities or in the pro-life movement. Does anybody have any suggestions? Has anyone here spent time as full-time volunteer or feel a similar calling? I kind of feel like I'm drowning in all this but it's a good kind of drowning.
God's Peace and Blessings,
Amanda

[quote name='she_who_is_not' date='Jan 25 2006, 02:44 PM']Hey friends,
Lately, I've really been considering the possibility of spending a year or two as a professional volunteer. After almost a year of drifting from job to job and trying to "find myself" I've come to realize that in that process I have been way to focused on myself, I.e. what I want, what I need, what others will think, etc. God has really been challenging me to let all that go and focus on finding Him in others. I spent three great summers working with Autistic adolescents and found it to be one of the most spiritually fulfilling times in my life. I also have teaching experience and did some political organizing in college. So I think I would be a good candidate. I've been researching some opportunities, talking to some people in my parish, and I am generally overwhelmed. :idontknow:  I would love to go overseas, especcially to Eastern Europe or India and I am interested in teaching, working with individuals with disabilities or in the pro-life movement.  Does anybody have any suggestions? Has anyone here spent time as full-time volunteer or feel a similar calling? I kind of feel like I'm drowning in all this but it's a good kind of drowning.
God's Peace and Blessings,
Amanda
[right][snapback]865679[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Amanda, try this link:
[url="http://www.cnvs.org/"]http://www.cnvs.org/[/url]

It is the Catholic Network of Volunteer Service. Look on the left hand side where it says "Volunteer opportunities" under that find "Response Directory" click it and it will take you where you want to go. I do not know all of the links it will lead you to, but at a glance it looks very good.

prayers for you!
Mary-Kathryn

Edited by Mary-Kathryn

Hi Amanda,
I did a year of volunteer service last year, and I definitely know how you feel! There are so many choices, it can be very overwhelming! Another thing I found is that the initial promotional material for all volunteer programs is pretty much exactly the same and pretty unhelpful. How old are you? There are some programs that a more geared for younger people (just out of high school or college) and others that are more geared for those who have been working for a while. Feel free to PM if you'd like to talk, or my AIM name is Tiedygrl. :)

Good luck, I'll be praying for you!
Claire

Have you considered the "L'Arche" communities?

They are groups of people both with and without disablities, all living together. and working together - usually fairly simple manual labour, but its enough to encourage independence. I think they like their live-in volunteers to stay for a year or two at a time.

It is really beautiful. I think it's fairly ecumenical, but follows quite a Franciscan spirituality. My Mum is on the Board for them, so our family has been quite heavily involved. Mum had also spent a good spot of time with them in England. The communities are all over the world, although it began in France, I think....

she_who_is_not

[quote name='memtherose' date='Jan 25 2006, 03:39 PM']Have you considered the "L'Arche" communities?

They are groups of people both with and without disablities, all living together. and working together - usually fairly simple manual labour, but its enough to encourage independence. I think they like their live-in volunteers to stay for a year or two at a time.

It is really beautiful. I think it's fairly ecumenical, but follows quite a Franciscan spirituality. My Mum is on the Board for them, so our family has been quite heavily involved. Mum had also spent a good spot of time with them in England. The communities are all over the world, although it began in France, I think....
[right][snapback]865850[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I heard about L'Arche on a radio program in December and I thought it was an amazing program. Definitlely a possibility. Thanks,
A

Just my quick $.02.... I must second L'Arche. Living in community is one of the most beautiful parts (IMO) about being Christian. Prayers for your in your discernment.... :)

[quote name='Birgitta Noel' date='Jan 26 2006, 02:47 AM']Yes, I think L'Arche began in France, Jean Vanier was the founder wasn't he?
[right][snapback]866352[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, he is from Canada. His father was one of our Governor Generals.

she_who_is_not

Friends,
Not wanting to spend a drawn out process deciding what [i]I[/i] want to do, I took this to the Lord last night. I've narrowed it down to two organizations L'Arche and Maggies Place, a home for pregnant women. I've contacted both, am doing applications and a lot of prayer. I really feel God is calling me to work in some aspect of the pro-life movement. My sister, who has been trying to concieve for several years found out on Mon. that she is going to have a baby. My whole family is so happy and thankful and in awe of this miracle. It fills me with this really fervent desire to have every child to be wanted and loved and revered in this way. I think it's kind of ironic that we found out on March for life day!!
But the L'Arche movement is really cool....so I'm letting God decide!
However, I know I'm making the right decision to volunteer for a year. Everything really seems to be falling in place!!

Letting God decide........ BEAUTIFUL!!!

I'm glad you're following through on the call that God has given you do to volunteer work. Prayers for you as you decide where God's calling you... and keep us posted, of course! :)

[quote name='she_who_is_not' date='Jan 26 2006, 01:59 PM']Friends,
Not wanting to spend a drawn out process deciding what [i]I[/i] want to do, I took this to the Lord last night. I've narrowed it down to two organizations L'Arche and Maggies Place, a home for pregnant women. I've contacted both, am doing applications and a lot of prayer. I really feel God is calling me to work in some aspect of the pro-life movement. My sister, who has been trying to concieve for several years found out on Mon. that she is going to have a baby. My whole family is so happy and thankful and in awe of this miracle. It fills me with this really fervent desire to have every child to be wanted and loved and revered in this way. I think it's kind of ironic that we found out on March for life day!!
But the L'Arche movement is really cool....so I'm letting God decide!
However, I know I'm making the right decision to volunteer for a year. Everything really seems to be falling in place!!
[right][snapback]866655[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Is Maggies Place down in Phoneix or somewhere in the neck of the woods? If it is then I am glad it is going strong. I met one of the founding members at MadonnaHouse in Combermere one year.

she_who_is_not

[quote name='passionheart' date='Jan 26 2006, 05:25 PM']Is Maggies Place down in Phoneix or somewhere in the neck of the woods? If it is then I am glad it is going strong. I met one of the founding members at MadonnaHouse in Combermere one year.
[right][snapback]866968[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, Maggies place is in Phoenix and it is alive and well. They have two houses now and I believe are constructing a third. I finished my application and mailed it to them yesterday. I'm really excited about the chance to go. They sent me some information and I found out that the women who founded it were all 23-24, (my age) when they started. It just proves that as young people we can do great things for the Church and the world! If accepted I will be going at the beginning of the summer! God had already blessed me in this decision! I think it's going to be a year of real spiritual growth for me. Prayers please!
Peace and blessings,
Amanda Jay

Edited by she_who_is_not