An Old School Catholic Message Board

emotions not reasoning rule in politics

cmotherofpirl

Personally, I think the terms "liberal" and "conservative" are both stereotypes, and are only interesting for people who like taking sides without thinking things through, as shown in the article, or who derive some kind of personal security from having a cut-and-dried stereotype they can identify with, hence the emotional reactions. Don't be a liberal or a conservative; think for yourself. I'd add that people like Michael Savage and Rush Limbaugh are masters of stereotype and propaganda; and I 'd rather shoot myself in the head than listen to them for even one minute. I think it'd be less dangerous to my soul.

• 1 month later...
Thy Geekdom Come

[quote]emotions not reasoning rule in politics[/quote]

Emoticons, on the other hand, are entirely capable of defining American politics...

:turban: :pimp: :apu: :unclesam: :juggle: :bluesbrother: :seesaw: :oink: :spam: :pigfly: :0)

praying4patience

[quote name='Desert Walker' post='873014' date='Feb 2 2006, 11:54 AM']
This is something I've known about politics ever since I stopped listening to Rush Limbaugh. :lol_roll:
[/quote]

He wasn't always wrong either.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='869745' date='Jan 29 2006, 10:47 PM']
I'd be interested in having a study about use of reason among Christians when It comes to things that contradict their belief (i.e. Catholic beliefs vs. certain protestant sects that contradict)
[/quote]
that would be something that would catch my intrest, I have always wondered what would be going on in the other persons mind when a "theoliacal smack down" is involved

[quote name='kdewolf2' post='909435' date='Mar 12 2006, 01:48 PM']
Personally, I think the terms "liberal" and "conservative" are both stereotypes, and are only interesting for people who like taking sides without thinking things through, as shown in the article, or who derive some kind of personal security from having a cut-and-dried stereotype they can identify with, hence the emotional reactions. Don't be a liberal or a conservative; think for yourself.
[/quote]

of course you can pick what is good from each party, but you can never be 100% liberal or 100% conservative, and be a devote Catholic

• 1 month later...

The only thing worse than a republican is a democrat.

My political choice is that of an Anarchist (Read Anarchy State and Utopia its not that of a nihilist), however People have too much pride and Greed and Lust so anarchy would never work, therefor my choice if i had to make one... Monarchy.

in a democracy what is true is whatever the majority wants to be true, in a monarchy the truth is more objective.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='869745' date='Jan 29 2006, 08:47 PM']
I'd be interested in having a study about use of reason among Christians when It comes to things that contradict their belief (i.e. Catholic beliefs vs. certain protestant sects that contradict)
[/quote]
It is that reason why i left Christianity, Given the choice between my Faith or my reason... i will always go with my reason. Thank God that as a Catholic i get both.

• 3 months later...

However, pyranima, reason is based on our own faulty intellect (thanks to Orignional Sin) and faith is based on revalation. So I would go with faith rather than reason. Isn't it great that catholic faith is based on 2,000 years of tradition, teachings, and revalation? that's why I love being a catholic.

And as to different forms of government I would go with democracy, though as one of the greatest US presidents pointed out (Washington), this only works with a virtuous population. This is where religion comes in, in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

How did yall like those election results? lol.

poor Santorum... Oh well that's what happens when you have the Evil lord of the Sith as a president. Takes everybody out.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='869203' date='Jan 29 2006, 11:39 AM']Democrats and Republicans Both Adept at Ignoring Facts, Study Finds
By LiveScience Staff

posted: 24 January 2006
10:03 am ET

The study points to a total lack of reason in political decision-making.

"None of the circuits involved in conscious reasoning were particularly engaged," Westen said. "Essentially, it appears as if partisans twirl the cognitive kaleidoscope until they get the conclusions they want, and then they get massively reinforced for it, with the elimination of negative emotional states and activation of positive ones."

Notably absent were any increases in activation of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, the part of the brain most associated with reasoning.[/quote]

I am so glad that I saw this thread. I have already ran for public office twice as an independent and I am somewhat confronting the possibility of joining one of the three major Canadian Political parties. My problem is that I truly don't know which one to join????

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is the most obviously pro-Israel PM that Canada has ever had in my lifetime....but the Conservative Party is so weak on their policies dealing with global warming and environmental destruction that an irreparable amount of damage could be done to the earth if I join the PC party and attempt to reform them slowly over time..... I have major issues that I disagree with the NDP party on but they seem genuinely willing to talk about any and all issues....This willingness to at least discuss problems is a major factor me and might lead me to join the NDP even though I actually am moreso in agreement with the Conservatives on actual policies.

I personally think that our troops are changing the world for the better in Afghanistan and I do not want to pull our troops back until the Middle East becomes a much safer place for women and children in Islamic nations.

The Liberal Party is the one that I voted for first and I have often cast my ballot for their candidates because they seemed to have the most impressive person running for office....They also have actually dealt directly moreso with monetary policy issues than any of the other parties...either in a positive or in a negative manner.....positively during the tenure of Prime Minister MacKenzie King and negatively during the time of Prime Minister Trudeau...but even their errors in 1970 worked out for good because if Canada had continued with our quite brilliant wartime monetary system that we had in place for thirty years....we might have had such a powerful economy that we would have turned even more vast areas of paradise into parking lots!!!??? So I am thoroughly confused and I lean toward continuing to run as an independent candidate so that at least I can keep the lines of communication open with all the parties....