ironmonk Posted January 31, 2006 Posted January 31, 2006 [quote name='shortnun' date='Jan 30 2006, 03:34 PM']Ironmonk, your post from EB was informative, yes. But how does it help Raphael in his desire to support Jesus Christ's founding of the Church (as opposed to being a reform movement within Judaism)? Your comment about this professor is entirely uncalled for, and uncharitable. [right][snapback]870196[/snapback][/right] [/quote] It was called for and it was not uncharitable, it is the truth. Her views are a distorted delusion of history. Someone could say that George Washington didn't mean to create another country and only wanted to reform the colonies of England. If they did they would have a delusional belief system. God Bless, ironmonk
ironmonk Posted January 31, 2006 Posted January 31, 2006 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jan 30 2006, 04:39 PM']What school is this? I would like to write her boss. Based on what? Micah's speculation on what she may believe? You won't get far with Alan Schreck on hearsay. What if Micah misunderstood her intent or what she said altogether? I spoke to several people today who have this teacher and know her for being both very difficult and very orthodox. I believe Micah has the right idea that if he has concerns he needs to approach it gently and speak first to the professor. It seems though that you would not even practice what you preach ironmonk and declare her guilty first having her stoned by the crowd. I'll grant that FUS has its fair share of difficulties, but orthodoxy is not one of them. If she has, all the sudden, this semester gone off the deep end, the problem will be handled, I have no doubt, in its own time, with people who care about and love this professor in a charitable manner. Burning anger does not win conversions. Adam [right][snapback]870265[/snapback][/right] [/quote] First off, you need to think and apply a little common sense to the issue. This is not some mere mistake, this is someone who should know the topic. It is ridculous and proves that this person has no business teaching the subject if she's pushing "historical Jesus is not the Jesus of Faith". This is gross incompetence. No where in history is this even hinted to before the last hundred years. This is a serious issue. Souls are a serious issue. Maybe you still have a chip on your shoulder because I asked questions that had only one answer and you didn't like it before you became Catholic, but I got news for you "the beauty of the Mass" is not going to be seen as beauty by most baptists. Your situation was very close to being the same as Patrick Madrids during his conversion. He reasoned everything he could about why not to become Catholic, you seemed to be in that same place... and you're Catholic now so the bottom line is no matter what you say, I think it worked. People who care about the truth will become Catholic, some need help off the fence with hard questions. You believed everything Catholic, no other church taught what you believed, yet you could not answer the question "what other church is there that looks like that?". People who love truth will want to answer the questions in time. This situation is same principle as if a crooked police officer was selling crack to children. If a police officer was caught selling crack to children and someone wanted to report him to his superior would it be right to try to attack the person for wanting to report it? It's real charitable trashing someone when they don't come to the board isn't it? Note my quote in my sig. [quote]It seems though that you would not even practice what you preach ironmonk and declare her guilty first having her stoned by the crowd.[/quote] You know not what you write about.
1337 k4th0l1x0r Posted January 31, 2006 Posted January 31, 2006 It sounds like she's read a bunch of books from the Jesus Seminar folks and is taking them to be gospel truth (pun intended). She can use a litle deflating.
Socrates Posted January 31, 2006 Posted January 31, 2006 If what is being reported here by Raphael is accurate, this is a serious problem. It seems the woman is teaching modernism, pure and simple. This godless heresy (which is indeed contrary to the Catholic Faith, and to Christianity itself) has no place in a school claiming orthodoxy. If this woman is really teaching what you say she is, this ought to be immediately brought to the attention of the administration, and she ought to be fired. (If you are interested in seeing debates on this modernist nonsense, look up "LittleLes" on here. He preached the same foolishness.)
Brother Adam Posted January 31, 2006 Posted January 31, 2006 (edited) [quote name='ironmonk' date='Jan 30 2006, 07:15 PM']First off, you need to think and apply a little common sense to the issue. This is not some mere mistake, this is someone who should know the topic. It is ridculous and proves that this person has no business teaching the subject if she's pushing "historical Jesus is not the Jesus of Faith". This is gross incompetence. No where in history is this even hinted to before the last hundred years. This is a serious issue. Souls are a serious issue. Maybe you still have a chip on your shoulder because I asked questions that had only one answer and you didn't like it before you became Catholic, but I got news for you "the beauty of the Mass" is not going to be seen as beauty by most baptists. Your situation was very close to being the same as Patrick Madrids during his conversion. He reasoned everything he could about why not to become Catholic, you seemed to be in that same place... and you're Catholic now so the bottom line is no matter what you say, I think it worked. People who care about the truth will become Catholic, some need help off the fence with hard questions. You believed everything Catholic, no other church taught what you believed, yet you could not answer the question "what other church is there that looks like that?". People who love truth will want to answer the questions in time. This situation is same principle as if a crooked police officer was selling crack to children. If a police officer was caught selling crack to children and someone wanted to report him to his superior would it be right to try to attack the person for wanting to report it? It's real charitable trashing someone when they don't come to the board isn't it? Note my quote in my sig. You know not what you write about. [right][snapback]870397[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Your 'blinding rage' or whatever it is you are experiencing is allowing you to totally miss the point and get off topic. The issue isn't if what Micah asserts the teacher is saying is heresy, it is whether or not the teacher is teaching what Micah asserts at all. You need to calm down, cool off, and re-examine the thread. I sat through basically the same lecture today, and had to pay especially close attention to the teacher and re-examine what he said after the fact. What I understood at first impression is indeed not what the teacher was actually teaching. Any gross incompetence on my part, or Micah's, is not the fault of the teacher, who gave a rather good lecture. And if you think you had any significant impact on my conversion, it is not the teacher who is off the deep end. I converted despite your hate for non-Catholics. And it is not I that doesn't know what I'm talking about, on the other hand, being here and well more aware of the situation than you are, I know exactly what I am talking about. Edited January 31, 2006 by Brother Adam
jgirl Posted January 31, 2006 Posted January 31, 2006 Random question: Is there still only woman theolgoy professor there who isn't in the catechetics department? If that is the case, i know exactly who the professor is, and if that is the case, most of everybody's comments aren't valid. Yes, she may be wrong there if that's how she said it, but I would definitely talk to her (if this is in fact DW). She is an incredibly intelligent (and usually very orthodox) woman, and she would discuss anything you have to say as long as you have your argument straight, which it seems that you do. Tell her that you're troubled by what she taught and ask her to tell you why she said it. It could have been misinterpreted. If it's DW, she wouldn't be stupid enough to risk her job by teaching heresy there. None of the theology professors there would do it. That's why they're there.
Brother Adam Posted January 31, 2006 Posted January 31, 2006 [quote name='jgirl' date='Jan 30 2006, 08:51 PM']Random question: Is there still only woman theolgoy professor there who isn't in the catechetics department? If that is the case, i know exactly who the professor is, and if that is the case, most of everybody's comments aren't valid. Yes, she may be wrong there if that's how she said it, but I would definitely talk to her (if this is in fact DW). She is an incredibly intelligent (and usually very orthodox) woman, and she would discuss anything you have to say as long as you have your argument straight, which it seems that you do. Tell her that you're troubled by what she taught and ask her to tell you why she said it. It could have been misinterpreted. If it's DW, she wouldn't be stupid enough to risk her job by teaching heresy there. None of the theology professors there would do it. That's why they're there. [right][snapback]870492[/snapback][/right] [/quote] yes it is who you are thinking of, and what I have been trying to say. Thanks for stepping up.
ironmonk Posted January 31, 2006 Posted January 31, 2006 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jan 30 2006, 09:29 PM']I converted despite your hate for non-Catholics. [right][snapback]870465[/snapback][/right] [/quote] You might want to take a few courses in logic and critical analysis, you might learn a lot. I would think it's kind of hard to misinterpret "The historical Jesus is not the Jesus of Faith", "Jesus did not intend to start a Church", and "The evangelists added 'that' in". What faith are we talking about? I would assume the Catholic Faith... if Jesus is not the Jesus of Catholic Faith then the Church is wrong and if the Church is wrong there is no God. The topic is what he wrote to be the issue. If he got it wrong then there is no issue. It's that simple. Almost everything we know of Christ comes from the Scriptures or apocrapha... saying otherwise when teaching a class in Christology is gross incompetence. Again... this is where critical analysis would be very beneficial to you. You could have simply replied "I think he misunderstood the lecture because I heard the same one today", but in the same uncharitable fashion as you belittled me in other posts while I wasn't here, you saw an opportunity and without thinking about what I wrote and why gave the reply that you did. I'm not going to hold a grudge, but I just want you to know that you should really think about what is written and try to understand the what the writer is saying. When on a board, we can't write for everyone. So it takes a little critical thinking when reading what people write. God Bless ironmonk
jmjtina Posted January 31, 2006 Posted January 31, 2006 Talk with the professor. You don't even need to prove anything, just bring your concerns, professors are usually good about that. Question: Did anyone else interprete it this way as well? If your the only one.........then there's your answer. If not, then she needs to backtrack.
jmjtina Posted January 31, 2006 Posted January 31, 2006 (edited) also, to say it is a heresy is a HUGE accusation. Bringing concerns is one thing, accusing someone of teaching heresy is quite another. I think it can be all solved by talking with the professor. The worst that could happen is that Micah's concerns are valid and need to be dealt with appropiately. on the other hand, it could just be a misunderstanding. Talk with other classmates Micah. If everyone got the same idea as you did, then she needs to reteach it. Edited January 31, 2006 by jmjtina
IcePrincessKRS Posted February 1, 2006 Posted February 1, 2006 [quote name='jmjtina' date='Jan 30 2006, 11:24 PM'] [b]also, to say it is a heresy is a HUGE accusation.[/b] Bringing concerns is one thing, accusing someone of teaching heresy is quite another. I think it can be all solved by talking with the professor. The worst that could happen is that Micah's concerns are valid and need to be dealt with appropiately. on the other hand, it could just be a misunderstanding. Talk with other classmates Micah. If everyone got the same idea as you did, then she needs to reteach it. [right][snapback]870619[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Amen to that Tina. I am going to close this thread for now. If you want to update after discussing your concerns with the professor let me know and i will re-open it. God Bless. Edited to add: brief clarification from Raphael: I want to add the clarification that I never accused the professor of being a heretic...but what she was teaching was clearly a heresy.
Recommended Posts