An Old School Catholic Message Board

Global Warming is a hoax.

ironmonk

While there is hard proof that the world is warming, the proof that this is primarily caused by human-produced "greenhouse gases" is weak at best.

I'd suggest reading Michael Crichton's [i]State of Fear[/i].

[quote name='Socrates' post='1231856' date='Apr 5 2007, 10:52 PM']While there is hard proof that the world is warming, the proof that this is primarily caused by human-produced "greenhouse gases" is weak at best.

I'd suggest reading Michael Crichton's [i]State of Fear[/i].[/quote]

Seconded! State of Fear was the first time i even realized anyone questioned global warming...and i've done research and stuff since. of course if i ever tell anyone i read State of Fear they say "oooo but that's fiction! does that mean we can start believing the dan brown stuff now?" and then i have to talk about Crichton's amazingly long bibliography and his credentials...which no one cares about anyway. but yea.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1231856' date='Apr 5 2007, 09:52 PM']While there is hard proof that the world is warming, the proof that this is primarily caused by human-produced "greenhouse gases" is weak at best.

I'd suggest reading Michael Crichton's [i]State of Fear[/i].[/quote]

I can fullheartidly agree agree with the above statement, (except for the book reference to which I am unfamiliar).

Waht would be interesting to estimate (and I think I will estimate it myself sometime) is how much heat is produced by human activity versus the sun light hitting earth. I suspect human release of energy (creating heat) might actually account for some warming of the planet although via a different mechanism than global warming.

The more we move around down here, logically, the more we heat our space. But leap[ing from that and claiming a concrete danger is nothing less than a leap of faith (or a fool's jump).

[quote name='Didacus' post='1231865' date='Apr 5 2007, 09:58 PM']I can fullheartidly agree agree with the above statement, (except for the book reference to which I am unfamiliar).

Waht would be interesting to estimate (and I think I will estimate it myself sometime) is how much heat is produced by human activity versus the sun light hitting earth. I suspect human release of energy (creating heat) might actually account for some warming of the planet although via a different mechanism than global warming.

The more we move around down here, logically, the more we heat our space. But leap[ing from that and claiming a concrete danger is nothing less than a leap of faith (or a fool's jump).[/quote]
Interestingly, Crichton in that book says he suspects that human land use probably has a greater effect on the climate than carbon emissions. Warming trends have been much more drastic in urban "heat islands" than in rural areas, and the warming caused by urbanization could have a greater effect on the general climate than suspected.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1231878' date='Apr 5 2007, 11:04 PM']Interestingly, Crichton in that book says he suspects that human land use probably has a greater effect on the climate than carbon emissions. Warming trends have been much more drastic in urban "heat islands" than in rural areas, and the warming caused by urbanization could have a greater effect on the general climate than suspected.[/quote]

doesn't he say that urbanization [i]doesnt[/i] have as much of an affect? at least not a provable one? i dont remember that well, but i do think i remember that he gives teh temperatures of one metropolitan area which go up as the population goes up, then gives teh temperatures of another and they go down....the data is inconsistent, and so can't be attributed to urbanization. i thought thats what he said anyway. and also the connection between temperaturs and co2? its backwards....as the temperatures go up...four hundred years later, on average, co2 levels go up....that is really what the scientists found who were mentioned by al gore in an inconvenient truth. hey said that they found a link between co2 and temperatures but neglected to mention that its backwards.

"If it weren't for Al Gore, none of this would be happening"

-My Pastor

I think he sums it up pretty well.

Heh... co2 vs temp. comparison reminds me about the pirates vs temp. comparison: as the number of pirates decline, world temperature increases :). Lesson? We need more pirates! :)

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1235658' date='Apr 8 2007, 10:50 PM']Heh... co2 vs temp. comparison reminds me about the pirates vs temp. comparison: as the number of pirates decline, world temperature increases :). Lesson? We need more pirates! :)[/quote]

give credit where its due, the great spaghetti monster or whatever they call it...

actually the quickest way to stop or at least make a noticable change in global warming is to eat less meat. the amount of methane porduced by raising cattle is enourmous, and methane does a lot more damage to the atmosshere. fortunately methane is reabsorbed in about eight years, so if you reduce cattle farming then you get a much quicker change.

just a quick question, i havnt read the whole thread so sorry if this has been mentioned. But what do people have to gain from wanting to prove global warning true (if its so false). Like everyone is pretty crazy about it now. Are they simply mislead, and honestly want to help the planet?

[quote name='Didymus' post='1236035' date='Apr 9 2007, 08:24 AM']are you serious?[/quote]

yes completely. the amount of land, energy and ultimately waste that comes from raising cattle is incredibly large.

Phoenix Reborn

Global Warming isn't real? But...I met him just yesterday...I must be delusional... :sadder:

/sarcasm

Edited by Phoenix Reborn

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1236047' date='Apr 9 2007, 10:42 AM']yes completely. the amount of land, energy and ultimately waste that comes from raising cattle is incredibly large.[/quote]

does that mean the price of beef could go up or down?

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1235903' date='Apr 9 2007, 12:35 AM']actually the quickest way to stop or at least make a noticable change in global warming is to eat less meat. the amount of methane porduced by raising cattle is enourmous, and methane does a lot more damage to the atmosshere. fortunately methane is reabsorbed in about eight years, so if you reduce cattle farming then you get a much quicker change.[/quote]

If we quit eating meat, then the cow population would be out of control!! We should eat MORE meat! One because its delicious, and B to prevent cows from ruling the earth