An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocations crisis...maybe not so much!

DeoOptimoMaximo

DeoOptimoMaximo

Could it be that part of the reason people think that there are no more religious today is that so many "liberal" orders refuse to wear the habit?

I mean whenever I see a habit I get fired up, with that visible reminder of God in our midst!!!

Cassocks are soooo P.O.D.!!!!!!!!!

Your brother in Christ, (and hopefully future priest!)
Shawn

DeoOptimoMaximo

Oh, no I didn't mean the fact that there are definitely less vocations. I meant that when less and less religious wear their habits, people can't tell who's in the consecrated life or not.

For example, if I visited and walked around a city with 80 nuns/priests/brothers residing there, but I never saw anyone wearing their clericals/habits, I wouldn't be the only one to think that their were no consecrated in the town.

To my wearing the habit is the most wonderful thing ever, and clearly a sign to me and to those around me that Christ is everywhere. I perferr habits over regualr cloths anyways. Ever since i started my discernment, i decided if i were to enter into a community, they must wear the habit other wise i willnot enter. I grew uo knowing those who wear the habit, so i am use to it. If i see those out of a habit and in regualr cloths, i "freak out" not realizing that they are too a religious person.

DeoOptimoMaximo

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Feb 2 2006, 02:58 PM']To my wearing the habit is the most wonderful thing ever, and clearly a sign to me and to those around me that Christ is everywhere. I perferr habits over regualr cloths anyways. Ever since i started my discernment, i decided if i were to enter into a community, they must wear the habit other wise i willnot enter. I grew uo knowing those who wear the habit, so i am use to it. If i see those out of a habit and in regualr cloths, i "freak out" not realizing that they are too a religious person.
[right][snapback]873337[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

So true! A friend and I visited a convent in St. Augustine, FL, and the nun who answered the door was in her late 50's and wore a tight, trashy t-shirt with blue jeans. I was dumbfounded!! Not what one would expect for a bride of Christ!

Oh I LOVE the habit and to see priests wearing their collars, and personally I can't WAIT to wear my habit oneday, (even if it will be behind the cloisterwall) it will say to the world that I belong to christ, I am HIS bride,, it will be that visible christ like example to the people and they will know that someone IS praying and caring for them and also will keep to Holy Poverty and will also state what community I belong to as well! I remember in the beginning of my discernment, at that time I was discerning with an active order and they do evangelising work and they wear blue habits and I was out with Sister going door to door and a gentlman saw her and stopped his car and called out to her and she went over to him and he said "sister sister, do you have a rosary" and then he began to explain how much he had wanted to return to the church and how much he misses and loved our lord and how sorry he was for his sins and so she gave him informations on the local parish and priests contact info and gave him a rosary and also a prayer of St. Michael the archangel and it was Such a beautiful experience to witness this and had it not been for her habit he'd have never known and may have not had the chance to get back on the path to christ, So I am all for that beautiful witness of the Habit and clerical garb! (sorry for my lengthy post, just wanted to share that beautiful story though)

Have any of you read the History of the Habit? I highly recommend it, one awesome book!!!

Laurentina1975

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Feb 2 2006, 02:58 PM']To my wearing the habit is the most wonderful thing ever, and clearly a sign to me and to those around me that Christ is everywhere. I perferr habits over regualr cloths anyways. Ever since i started my discernment, i decided if i were to enter into a community, they must wear the habit other wise i willnot enter. I grew uo knowing those who wear the habit, so i am use to it. If i see those out of a habit and in regualr cloths, i "freak out" not realizing that they are too a religious person.
[right][snapback]873337[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Wearing a habit is wonderful, but what is inside is more important to me, if you are a Christ-like to others and bring Him to others, then you are just as good as the habited religious. For me, a habit doesn't necesarily mean that makes the person holier. Just my opinion....but i like the habit as well, I think each day you put it on, you are reminded of your vocation. It definately helps, but it really is about how God calls us to LOVE!

DeoOptimoMaximo

[quote name='TeresaAvila' date='Feb 2 2006, 03:25 PM']Oh I LOVE the habit and to see priests wearing their collars, and personally I can't WAIT to wear my habit oneday, (even if it will be behind the cloisterwall) it will say to the world that I belong to christ, I am HIS bride,, it will be that visible christ like example to the people and they will know that someone IS praying and caring for them and also will keep to Holy Poverty and will also state what community I belong to as well! I remember in the beginning of my discernment, at that time I was discerning with an active order and they do evangelising work and they wear blue habits and I was out with Sister going door to door and a gentlman saw her and stopped his car and called out to her and she went over to him and he said "sister sister, do you have a rosary" and then he began to explain how much he had wanted to return to the church and how much he misses and loved our lord and how sorry he was for his sins and so she gave him informations on the local parish and priests contact info and gave him a rosary and also a prayer of St. Michael the archangel and it was Such a beautiful experience to witness this and had it not been for her habit he'd have never known and may have not had the chance to get back on the path to christ, So I am all for that beautiful witness of the Habit and clerical garb! (sorry for my lengthy post, just wanted to share that beautiful story though)

Have any of you read the History of the Habit? I highly recommend it, one awesome book!!!
[right][snapback]873375[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

TeresaAvila!
What a beautiful story! I completely agree with you and will be praying for your discernment as well! I can't wait to wear the collar and cassock!

I haven't read the History of the Habit but it sounds very interesting!!! So many people give excuses for religious not to wear clericals/habits, so our generation will have to show them how "cool" it is to wear them!

What orders are you discerning?

Your brother in Christ,
Shawn

Hey Shawn,
I just wanted to welcome you to PM! Prayers for you on your journey to the priesthood. Oh, yeah its good to see another Florida person on here!!

In JMJ

Edited by Marieteresa

ThyWillBeDone

What wear are very important. I am seminarian and at my seminary it a big deal when the new seminarians first get to wear their Cassocks and collars. It a special day we call "Cassock Day" and it takes place two months into their first year at the seminary. It when they official become part of the Seminary and stop being "New Men" as we call them.The cassock is an amazing garment it has so much history and symbolism behind it. DeoOptimoMaximo your vocation will be in my prayers
God Bless

I think the fact that a lot of religious don't wear their collar or habit directly relates to the decrease in vocations. If I was a young person who was only exposed to religious that looked just like everyone else, the appeal to that calling wouldn't be as strong. I think the appeal of becoming a religious is because of the fact that you stand out from the rest, so if you don't get exposed to that, then where's the appeal?

Why would I become a priest if priests looked just like everyone else? I'd just work for the church as a lay person. (speaking as if I was a young person discerning)

If appearance wasn't important, (status, respect, authority, etc) then the pope would wear a dress shirt with some khakis.

AlterDominicus

[quote name='DeoOptimoMaximo' date='Feb 2 2006, 10:44 AM']Could it be that part of the reason people think that there are no more religious today is that so many "liberal" orders refuse to wear the habit?
[right][snapback]873072[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Its funny that you say "liberal" because Minnesota is a very liberal state, I only know like four-six communities in Minnesota who ACTUALLY wear the full habit and veil these are, Little Sisters of the Poor, Saint Peter Clavixer, Hawthorne Dominicans, Stillwater (Nashville) Dominicans, Daughters of Mary, Sisters In Jesus the Lord.

And four of these communities (the first three and the last one) live in the same city, Saint Paul Minnesota, where as the trio of Nashville Dominicans teach at Saint Criox Catholic School in Stillwater, and the Daughters of Mary live in White Bear Lake.

I came up with a fantasy convent to be placed here in MN. :cool: