simplemama Posted February 13, 2006 Posted February 13, 2006 [quote name='misereremi' date='Feb 13 2006, 07:49 AM']That's a brilliant idea for all Saints Day, mind if I copy that? [right][snapback]885666[/snapback][/right] [/quote] copy away!
misereremi Posted February 13, 2006 Posted February 13, 2006 [quote name='Raphael' date='Feb 13 2006, 02:58 PM'] "Yeah, my father TOTALLY doesn't like the way I dress. And he doesn't even respect my boyfriend!" "Oh?" "No! Whitesnake called during Mass the other day and dad told me to shut off my phone! Can you believe the nerves of that guy?! It's okay, though...I text messaged him while my parents were doing their kneeling thing. " [right][snapback]885707[/snapback][/right] [/quote] And if we thought Barbie's house was extra, it ain't got nothing on a Bratz "CRIB"!!!
avemaria40 Posted February 13, 2006 Author Posted February 13, 2006 At least they have Barbie doctors, and hairdressers and teachers, Bratz dolls don't do anything
photosynthesis Posted February 13, 2006 Posted February 13, 2006 yeah, Barbie is a total rennaisance woman... I mean, she's a doctor, nurse, schoolteacher, flight attendant, police officer, AND a wife + mother.
prose Posted February 13, 2006 Posted February 13, 2006 I once caught a few minutes of a Bratz episode on Tv, the girls were planning on sneaking out because their parents were "so lame". So I changed the channel and would never let them in the house.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted February 13, 2006 Posted February 13, 2006 [quote name='prose' date='Feb 13 2006, 12:29 PM']I once caught a few minutes of a Bratz episode on Tv, the girls were planning on sneaking out because their parents were "so lame". So I changed the channel and would never let them in the house. [right][snapback]885792[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Someone gave them a TV show?!
Socrates Posted February 14, 2006 Posted February 14, 2006 [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Feb 13 2006, 08:48 AM']it's creepy when a doll has eyes that are bigger than her breasts [right][snapback]885700[/snapback][/right] [/quote] So no doubt that will lead to poor self-image among girls, who will attempt to surgically enlarge their eyes, or reduce their breasts until they are smaller than their eyes - now that would be a shame! (And you thought Barbie was trouble!) I think I'm going to put out a line of Hideously Misshapen Dolls So Ugly Girls Will Feel Good About Themselves. Yeah, Bratz are pure evil - they prepare little girls for a bratty and obnoxious adolescence. I'd better go now - it's past my bedtime.
Socrates Posted February 14, 2006 Posted February 14, 2006 "Hiya Barbie Hi Ken Do you wanna go for a ride? Sure Ken. Jump in. Im a barbie girl, in a barbie world Life in plastic, its fantastic. You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere. Imagination, life is your creation. Come on Barbie, let's go party! CHORUS Im a blond bimbo girl, in a fantasy world, Dress me up, make it tight, Im your dolly. You're my doll, rocknroll, feel the glamour in pink, Kiss me here, touch me there, hanky panky. You can touch, you can play, if you say: "Im always yours" Come on Barbie, lets go party! Come on Barbie, lets go party! Come on Barbie, lets go party! Come on Barbie, lets go party! Make me walk, make me talk, do whatever you please, I can act like a star, I can beg on my knees. Come jump in, bimbo friend, let us do it again, Hit the town, fool around, lets go party You can touch, you can play, if you say: "Im always yours" You can touch, you can play, if you say: "Im always yours" Come on Barbie, lets go party! Come on Barbie, lets go party! Come on Barbie, lets go party! Come on Barbie, lets go party! CHORUS CHORUS Come on Barbie, lets go party! Come on Barbie, lets go party! Come on Barbie, lets go party! Come on Barbie, lets go party! Oh, Im having so much fun! Well Barbie, we are just getting started. Oh, I love you Ken. " ~ "Barbie Girl" by Aqua
cmotherofpirl Posted February 14, 2006 Posted February 14, 2006 I think Barbie dolls play right into the consumer mentality that infects our girls today. I do not think they are appropriate for kids.
photosynthesis Posted February 14, 2006 Posted February 14, 2006 [quote name='Socrates' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:09 PM']I think I'm going to put out a line of Hideously Misshapen Dolls So Ugly Girls Will Feel Good About Themselves. [right][snapback]886635[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I think the guy who created the Bratz beat you to that.
Love4MySavior Posted February 14, 2006 Posted February 14, 2006 [quote name='crazymaine catholic' date='Feb 12 2006, 05:00 PM']i used to play church too. my counsin would wear my great uncle's cassock. he was a blessed sacrement father. course, now i cringe at the thought of my cousin playing the priest. i was the boy, i should have been the priest. : [right][snapback]885111[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I used to play Church too. I would take my stuffed animals and my childrens Bible and teach my stuffed animals about Jesus. Of course my church was outside. I felt like I was closer to God for some reason, I think I was about 5 when I used to do that. : :
Tata126 Posted February 14, 2006 Posted February 14, 2006 My niece has a bunch of Bratz dolls, and I HATE it. That said, stuff coming out recently is making Barbie look really tame, but I don't like the whole sexy image of Barbie... I think the sexualizing of children is a horrible problem, and when you give a 7 year old girl a doll with enormous breasts and short skirts, you're exposing her to something she really shouldn't be thinking about yet. I can't say exactly what I would do for my children, though, because I know how silly it is for naive childless people to pontificate about the proper raising of children. I will venture to say that American Girl dolls were much more encouraged during my growing up than Barbie was, and it breaks my heart that Mattel has corrupted them, because I really was hoping to give my daughters American Girl things as well.
KnightofChrist Posted February 14, 2006 Posted February 14, 2006 [quote name='Tata126' date='Feb 13 2006, 10:54 PM']My niece has a bunch of Bratz dolls, and I HATE it. That said, stuff coming out recently is making Barbie look really tame, but I don't like the whole sexy image of Barbie... I think the sexualizing of children is a horrible problem, and when you give a 7 year old girl a doll with enormous breasts and short skirts, you're exposing her to something she really shouldn't be thinking about yet. I can't say exactly what I would do for my children, though, because I know how silly it is for naive childless people to pontificate about the proper raising of children. I will venture to say that American Girl dolls were much more encouraged during my growing up than Barbie was, and it breaks my heart that Mattel has corrupted them, because I really was hoping to give my daughters American Girl things as well. [right][snapback]886804[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I agree the Bratz dolls are a little sluttly, I've even seen babie bratz doll... for... 3 yr olds!!!!! And there not any better the the regular bratz...
argent_paladin Posted February 14, 2006 Posted February 14, 2006 In my day, it was all about Cabbage Patch Kids... [img]http://www.afunk.com/cabbage/pictures/005.jpg[/img]
photosynthesis Posted February 14, 2006 Posted February 14, 2006 I used to have a cabbage patch doll! it came with an extra set of clothes, and i always used to try to put on her dress and shoes, even though I was much too big.
Winchester Posted February 14, 2006 Posted February 14, 2006 Barbie's exagerrated, I'm certain, because she's a doll. To scale her properly, her eyes would look beady and her body would be a tube once she was clothed. I've pondered over this for many years. I made several test Barbies modeled after actual women. After I got out of psycho therapy, I resumed my expirements, and after exhaustive study, I have come to the following conclusions: 1. The exagerrations of Barbie translate to full size quite well, but not according to scale. 2. Ken has no real interest in Barbie.
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted February 14, 2006 Posted February 14, 2006 [quote name='Quietfire' date='Feb 12 2006, 05:57 PM']I hate Barbie and everything she stands for. But then again, I am a diehard tomboy. If Barbie were actual size, her measurements would be 44 18 32 unless you are aided by ALOT of surgery, that is simply not realistic. Her eyes also take up far too much of her face, which is also unrealistic. Ok, I dont hate the stupid doll. I just always though it was a stupid doll. [right][snapback]885025[/snapback][/right] [/quote] The company was supposed to start making 'realistic' Barbies a few years back. Don't know if they ever did, but they were supposed to. 'Realistic' meaning, measurements healthy for a grown adult woman her 'equivalant height'.
Socrates Posted February 15, 2006 Posted February 15, 2006 [quote name='Winchester' date='Feb 14 2006, 01:07 PM']Barbie's exagerrated, I'm certain, because she's a doll. To scale her properly, her eyes would look beady and her body would be a tube once she was clothed. I've pondered over this for many years. I made several test Barbies modeled after actual women. After I got out of psycho therapy, I resumed my expirements, and after exhaustive study, I have come to the following conclusions: 1. The exagerrations of Barbie translate to full size quite well, but not according to scale. 2. Ken has no real interest in Barbie. [right][snapback]887241[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Hmmmmm, Winchester - sounds like you've spent a lot of time playing with dolls! And whatever can be said for or against Barbie, I think the whole idea of kids being traumatized because they don't look like a plastic toy is absurd. (They've even got this similar theory now about boys and their G.I. Joes!) As a kid, I mostly played with Star Wars toys, but don't really recall having any "body image" issues with them. (But then, the old Star Wars action figures were kinda wussy looking.)
photosynthesis Posted February 15, 2006 Posted February 15, 2006 "*sigh* why can't [i]I[/i] look like Jabba the Hutt?"
Ash Wednesday Posted February 15, 2006 Posted February 15, 2006 I always preferred the vintage Barbie. [img]http://www.nancysdreamhouse.com/mypics/collpics/dbse1.jpg[/img]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now