An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Benedictines...

Ora et Labora

Ora et Labora

I am not sure what there Charism is...there difference between the Carmolites, Fransiscans, and the Dominicans.

So, who are they? are the Benedictine nuns different grom the Monks? Thanks! :)

Kristina

Hi Kristina,

Here's what I was told by a friend of mine who's a Fransiscan sister about the Benedictines, so take it as you wish:

"Founded very early in the history of the Church by Benedict, the father of western monasticism, their spirituality centers on the liturgy. Their charism is worship and to teach others to worship God and to bring others to Him through worship. Mass and the Liturgy of the Hours are the center of Benedictine life. They are also famous for their hospitality. While their are Benedictine schools most (that I know of) run retreat centers of some sort."

There are some Benedictines near home (who I think started Benedictine College that you asked about earlier!). Here's their sisters' website which might be helpful:
[url="http://www.mountosb.org/"]Benedictine Sisters of Atchinson Kansas[/url]

Another trait of Benedictines is they try to make their foundations stable and permanent. Most of the congregations have a vow of stability to whatever monastery one takes their vows at. This is why towns frequently grow up around wherever Abbeys are built. Benedictines build for the long haul.

[quote name='williamb' date='Feb 19 2006, 07:40 PM']Another trait of Benedictines is they try to make their foundations stable and permanent. Most of the congregations have a vow of stability to whatever monastery one takes their vows at. This is why towns frequently grow up around wherever Abbeys are built. Benedictines build for the long haul.
[right][snapback]892118[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Wow...I did not know that! It makes sense though and, ironically, we're learning about that in my law school class (about how they could work and live off the land while maintaining a vow of poverty).

If you go to any number of Benedictine websites you'll see they call the [i]opus Dei[/i] meaning the praying of the Divine Office, their first calling.

In his Rule, St. Benedict established a kind of rhythmic balance of prayer and work, "ora et labora"; Monasteries were to be self sufficient through manual labor and monks were encouraged to study. The practice of lectio divina is usually credited to the Benedictines.

The Benedictine vows are stability, obedience and conversion of life (which include poverty and chastity) .

Benedictine nuns/sisters follow the same rule as the monks.

My respects to the Franciscans and Dominicans, but there is something about the Rule of St. Benedict that resonates with me. I think it's because it can be adapted for us layfolks too.

Of course there are quite a few different flavors of Benedictines, The Camaldolese are eremetic and have detached little houses for their cells, The Solesmes are very much concerned with the rites themselves and do a lot of study of chant and church history. The Olivetans tend to be very concerned with ecumenicism and work for unity and peace.

Active Benedictine sisters seem to be in a variety of work including education and health care. Their first and foremost mission is prayer and community life, and the apostolates depend on the needs of the local Church. Many do retreat work and the education of Benedictine Oblates ( the layfolk who formally associate themselves to the Benedictine way of life). While many of them have given up the habit, the Olivetan Benedictines, the Benedictines of New Jersey, the Benedictines of Canyon, TX and a few others wear some form of habit and veil.

I can't speak of all the enclosed Benedictine nuns, but quite a few have attached year round retreat facilities to their monasteries, so they have a certain amount of contact with the public. They may also do altar bread production and distribution, writing and publishing spiritual literature, Oblate training, and farming. Habits are the norm for the most part.

The Missionary Benedictines in Nebraska are an international order with a small representation in the USA. They are very active in Asia and Africa.
They wear a modified habit.

The Cistercian nuns can also be included here. They do most of the occupations of the enclosed Benedictines, but may also have a monastery based industry to support themselves--like making cheeses or candy (Trappistine Creamy Caramels--YUM!)--whatever is compatible with the monastic schedule. They wear a cream colored habit, black scapular and leather belt, but will wear regular clothing when doing manual labor. They maintain the most demanding prayer schedule of all the Benedictine related groups.

Hope this helps answer your question.......

The Benedictines place a high value on hospitality, so keeping to themselves is not a part of their charism at all.

I forgot to incluce that on my last post....

let_go_let_God

The Benedictines are wonderful teachers, and stewards. The rules of St. Benedict are deeply enrooted in their daily lives. Stewardship, Hospitality, Love of Learning, Community, and Respect.

I go to the College of St. Scholastica in Duluth Minnesota and these five values are lived out in our daily lives whether we know it or not. Most of them are just common sense. The sisters are always so warm and welcoming and just can't wait to interact with the students, and I love when I get to go see the sisters. Many of them will join us in Eucharistic Adoration, Rosary, and the sisters invite us to join them in Lectio Divina, mass, and different prayers.

God bless-
LGLG

Ora et Labora

[quote name='stlmom' date='Feb 23 2006, 12:15 PM']Ora et Labora,

I'm so glad you asked the question.... you thinking about discerning with them?
[right][snapback]895642[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, I am. :) Im OLAMDads other daughter...he already has a Franciscan daughter. :lol: