An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mushroom cloud

Lilllabettt

So, sigh. I told my parents about the fact that I'm applying to enter for this July. This is no suprise to them, since I've been talking about it since last May.

Because they have been violently, absolutely opposed to religious life before ( to the point where, I think, they would physically block the door to keep me from leaving,) I gave them an ultimatum.

Either they can accept it as a fact, and I can come home for a couple weeks, between the end of my volunteer job (june 23rd) and the convent entrance date (july 16th ... i think) and spend some time with my family. Or they cannot accept it as a fact, I can stay here in DC and not see them at all before I go. :pinch:

That last option is horrible. I really really hope I don't have to do that. Anyways. Their reactions were not so good.

My father is a calm man. He is not a religious guy at all, but his reaction was to tell me: "You're going against God's will." He also offered to start going to RCIA classes and convert if I will only wait and finish my last 1.5 years of college. :shock:

My mother is more emotional. I have blasted all her dreams. She has always wanted all of her children to graduate college, which she has slaved for her whole life. All I want is attention. The fact of the matter is, I am hurting her on purpose. And if thats what Sisters in a convent do, they can have me. <_<

Major guilt fest. I am remembering something I heard when I was on retreat with the Nashville Dominicans ... one of the postulants explained that she was first called to enter in the middle of college, but she knew she was going to finish because her "parents had made a huge investment." :blink:

Icky, icky. I know my mind is made up. If I apply and the Sisters, for whatever reason, don't accept me, I'm not going back to school necessarily. I'm going to work and fix whatever needs fixing (if it can be fixed) so that I can persue my vocation!

Major major guilt though. :sadder:

Yikes!

Parents can be a real nightmare, can't they? I suspect they fear loosing you more than anything else. I certainly hope that the college excuse is just that, an excuse. If I were you I wouldn't focus on the college argument so much as I would try to convince them that they won't be losing you.

God bless.

Edited by OLAM Dad

=T I'll pray for you. My parents are the same way, except my mom wants me to get my MA before I enter, if I do...I'm compromising and saying that I'll wait until I get my BA if I feel that I'm really called...which I'm not sure about.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='Feb 19 2006, 05:29 PM']So, sigh. I told my parents about the fact that I'm applying to enter for this July. This is no suprise to them, since I've been talking about it since last May.

Because they have been violently, absolutely opposed to religious life before ( to the point where, I think, they would physically block the door to keep me from leaving,) I gave them an ultimatum.

Either they can accept it as a fact, and I can come home for a couple weeks, between the end of my  volunteer job (june 23rd) and the convent entrance date (july 16th ... i think) and spend some time with my family. Or they cannot accept it as a fact, I can stay here in DC and not see them at all before I go. :pinch:

That last option is horrible. I really really hope I don't have to do that. Anyways. Their reactions were not so good.

My father is a calm man. He is not a religious guy at all, but his reaction was to tell me: "You're going against God's will." He also offered to start going to RCIA classes and convert if I will only wait and  finish my last 1.5 years of college.  :shock:

My mother is more emotional. I have blasted all her dreams. She has always wanted all of her children to graduate college, which she has slaved for her whole life. All I want is attention. The fact of the matter is, I am hurting her on purpose. And if thats what Sisters in a convent do, they can have me.  <_<

Major guilt fest. I am remembering something I heard when I was on retreat with the Nashville Dominicans ... one of the postulants explained that she was first called to enter in the middle of college, but she knew she was going to finish because her "parents had made a huge investment." :blink:

Icky, icky. I know my mind is made up. If I apply and the Sisters, for whatever reason, don't accept me, I'm not going back to school necessarily. I'm going to work and fix whatever needs fixing (if it can be fixed) so that I can persue my vocation!

Major major guilt though.  :sadder:
[right][snapback]891969[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Is there any particular reason you can't finish college before you enter?
Would finishing college make you a better sister? I don't know what order you are applying for, but if you will be a teaching sister etc, wouldn't finishing college be a good thing? Just curious. :)

I will be praying for you, to be sure. In fact, as I mentioned in another post, I prayed for everyone I said I'd pray for here at PM, esp those discerning religious life.

I am so sorry to hear about your parents' reaction. My parents weren't supportive at first either. Actually my mother said, 'I thought you were over that fad', when I told her I was returning to discerning religious life.

But now that they've gotten used to that this is MY life, and it isn't going to be about their dreams but my own calling, they are very supportive. I will pray for Grace to work in your family's life.

God bless you.

Denise