prose Posted February 22, 2006 Posted February 22, 2006 yup... I can't believe some people.... Not racist at all...
HisChild Posted February 23, 2006 Posted February 23, 2006 Oh yes. I was on a ride along a few years ago with a local police dept. Guy was swerving a little, not driving the speed limit. . ..etc. Cop I was with pulled him over, went up to talk to him. When he came back to the car, he said. . .'dwa'. I blinked. Said, 'what the heck is dwa?' He looked at me like I should know better and said 'driving while asian'. He even had 'dwo'. Driving while old. Unbelievable. I said I hoped he didn't use that while talking on the radio.
Catholic Knight Posted February 23, 2006 Posted February 23, 2006 Possibly, when one uses the term "no offense" they need to say something that could be the truth. The truth may be blunt and sometimes could be rude. That's my take on it. Pax Christi, CK
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted February 24, 2006 Posted February 24, 2006 [quote name='Lil Red' date='Feb 20 2006, 02:54 PM']ever notice that when people start off a sentence or conversation with "no offense" usually what they are going to say is going to hurt or offend you? why don't people just pray instead of saying something? [right][snapback]892973[/snapback][/right] [/quote] No offense, Lil' Red, but................................. I think you're pretty wicked awesome! :
Sojourner Posted February 24, 2006 Posted February 24, 2006 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Feb 21 2006, 07:46 AM']The expression that I find funny is, "I'm sorry you feel that way." The non-appology appology.... [right][snapback]893584[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I use that when I don't really want to apologize.
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted February 24, 2006 Posted February 24, 2006 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Feb 21 2006, 05:46 AM']The expression that I find funny is, "I'm sorry you feel that way." The non-appology appology.... [right][snapback]893584[/snapback][/right] [/quote] How about, I'm sorry you misunderstood what I was saying?
homeschoolmom Posted February 24, 2006 Posted February 24, 2006 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Feb 24 2006, 09:17 AM']I use that when I don't really want to apologize. [right][snapback]896520[/snapback][/right] [/quote] That's what it's for.
Sojourner Posted February 24, 2006 Posted February 24, 2006 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Feb 24 2006, 10:40 AM']That's what it's for. [right][snapback]896536[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Very handy little phrase, that. I actually used it on a reader recently. "I'm sorry you're upset about what we wrote. But we were right."
marketgirl Posted February 24, 2006 Posted February 24, 2006 I am SO happy someone brought that up! "No offense, but..." whether you're trying to make a good point or not (more often - not) is the worst way to start a sentence. And "I'm sorry you feel that way..." is code for "it's really your fault, not mine." It's funny that the person saying either phrase does so in an attempt to diffuse the situation!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now